Review of Man Mission

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Review of Man Mission

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever since he was young, Eytan had always wanted to go on a trip to different exotic locations around the world. His initial reason was to get a taste of all the original foods he could find, but over the years, his priorities changed. What was supposed to be a teenage dream soon became a needed reality. It first started with his close buddy Sam, who shared the same enthusiasm as him, and then two of his other friends joined. Together, these four young men go on a trip born solely out of impulse and created a tradition out of this childhood dream. Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is a memoir that delineates the lives of four men and their journey through the harsh realities of life.

When I think of men, I imagine stoic, serious-minded, and overly mature individuals. I never imagined they could feel fear, anxiety, or be insecure. This book gave me a view of the other side of men not often seen or talked about. The book rivets on some standards we expect men to meet, making me understand that men have it hard as well. Their lives are not as simple as it's being portrayed. This book was a fantastic read for me because it offered a great deal of adventure and humour. The author narrated the story in a lovable way. All characters had a variety of things they were going through; ranging from grief, ambitions, anxiety, fear, doubt, failure, and love, among many other feelings. I enjoyed reading about how they coped with it in their ways.

There was a rich dynamic to the characters these men portrayed, and I could compare them with the typical average men in society. Sam was the homely sort, Daniel was the practical one. Alec was a free bird who had commitment issues, and Eytan seemed like he had his life put together. I found it pleasurable to read about their friendship and how they always managed to be there for each other through every phase of their lives.

As much as I enjoyed reading the book, I didn’t like that there was heavy use of profanity. Due to this, I found myself cringing during some of the dialogues. The text format of the book was also small, which stalled my progress in completing the book.

I’d rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars and this is because, at some point, the entire story became monotonous. I appreciate the author trying to give the men’s point of view, but I would have loved to read about the women too. Also, while narrating, the author alternated between the present timeline and the previous. It was confusing to me and quite overwhelming at some point. I started to get bored towards the end, desperately hoping for some sort of excitement. Despite all this, the book was wonderful to read.

I would recommend this book to lovers of adventure and to men who, in one way or the other, are struggling to meet up with societal standards.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Bunmi27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmi27.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Bunmi27 »

This review is lovely. I love the fact that the book talked about the family and work experience of the author apart from the adventures. Each adventure was thrilling and interesting. I didn't regret reading this book.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

While I'm sure the author didn't intend to be sexist, I can understand how it could appear that way. As a guy myself, I also got bored of the "guy talk." Nonetheless, it was still a good book. Nice review.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

This seems like a really lovely book, one that I would love to read. The review itself is very well written. The summary is concise and accurate. I also agree with the rating of the book. Well done!
Oluwanifesimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwanifesimi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oluwanifesimi »

Talks about being a real man do interest me, unlike you, I like that everything about this book explains it. I have read the book and I agree with your review and I applaud you for a job well done.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:

Bunmi27 wrote: 28 May 2022, 08:29 This review is lovely. I love the fact that the book talked about the family and work experience of the author apart from the adventures. Each adventure was thrilling and interesting. I didn't regret reading this book.
I loved that part of the book as well it gave more insight into how he felt about things and his personality. I appreciate your comment.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:

Elijah0007 wrote: 29 May 2022, 12:47 While I'm sure the author didn't intend to be sexist, I can understand how it could appear that way. As a guy myself, I also got bored of the "guy talk." Nonetheless, it was still a good book. Nice review.
I appreciate your comment.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:

Meenahhhh wrote: 29 May 2022, 12:50 This seems like a really lovely book, one that I would love to read. The review itself is very well written. The summary is concise and accurate. I also agree with the rating of the book. Well done!
It is a great book that promises a lot of life lessons. I appreciate your comment. Thanks for stopping by.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:

Oluwanifesimi wrote: 31 May 2022, 18:05 Talks about being a real man do interest me, unlike you, I like that everything about this book explains it. I have read the book and I agree with your review and I applaud you for a job well done.
I appreciate this comment. I was just so desperate to understand the women too.
Abu Humairah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-humairah.html
Latest Review: Murder in the Garbage by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Abu Humairah »

A really nice review. I like how a different aspect of man was portrayed contrary to what people ideas were👀.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:

Abu Humairah wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 13:29 A really nice review. I like how a different aspect of man was portrayed contrary to what people ideas were👀.
Yes, it's a unique perspective.Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”