Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fireside119
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Fantastica - Surreal Prose & Poetry by Andrea Lightfoot

Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Fireside119 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed is a science fiction book that explores the origin of the universe. The book captures the events of a public debate in which a man, Theodil, explains the states and origin of matter.

Theodil uses models to demonstrate how small particles combine to form large objects. The smallest units are dot-like particles which he refers to as zots. The zots combine to form noodle-like objects called xoodles. The xoodles expand beyond the simplicity of their youth to form complex xoodles. Theodil also explains that as energy collides it parses into various forms of mass, which is vital in the production of gravity. He also explains how particles interact with light and gravity; and expounds that some particles won’t have these interactions.

This presentation was enlightening, and I’m glad the audience engaged although most of them seemed to be simpletons. I was surprised that there was a seemingly genius child who answered the adults whenever they asked what appeared to be obvious questions. The child’s age isn’t mentioned and I wondered how he acquired the knowledge he had on science and philosophy. I speculate that he is one of Theodil’s students. The child’s expressions, mannerisms, and knowledge are what I liked most about the book. It reminded me of the TV series Young Sheldon, which has been part of my binge list.

Although the book is laden with science content, the material is presented in a witty manner with inviting irony and imagery. The author uses relatable examples to explain various concepts. When one audience member asked why the xoodles aren’t made perfect, to begin with, Theodil explained that he didn’t have the power to poof xoodles into existence. To highlight the changes in states of matter, he mentioned that the xoodles aren’t born royalty and must be extracted from peasants. He added a chess analogy and stated that a pawn must pass through trials to develop into a queen. These examples will lighten the read for anyone who isn’t conversant with science. The book also contains illustrations that highlight the topic of discussion and are a welcome break from the text.

Given the content of the book, readers will be curious about the author’s background. These questions are answered at the beginning of the book in a brief write-up. The author reveals his real name and even leaves a link to his website. This book would most appeal to lovers of science and mathematics, so I will recommend it to them. Inquisitors of the origin of the universe should also pick it up. Since I spotted no errors, I will conclude that the book underwent professional editing. Due to the stellar editing and nothing to dislike about the book, I will award it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: She Speaks Her Silence by Carla J Frye

Post by markodim721 »

I like this mix of science, wit and interesting illustrations.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”