Review by laseniola -- The Smartest Person in the Room

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
laseniola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laseniola.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa

Review by laseniola -- The Smartest Person in the Room

Post by laseniola »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Espinosa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In today’s world where vital information such as credit card detail, medical record, login information etc. is easily stolen, there is an urgent need to clamp down on cyber criminals in order to safeguard people’s lives. In this book, The Smartest Person in the Room, Christian Espinosa succinctly describes from the technical perspective how and why the need to be the “smartest person in the room” is the sole reason for the losing war against cybercrimes.

Christian Espinosa is a technical expert with decades of experience in cybersecurity. It is no surprise that he brilliantly used an amalgam of his wealth of experience in this field and the experiences on his journey to self improvement to tell us practical methods to effectively keep cyber criminals out of business. He named this method the “Secure Methodology”, it consists of seven steps including communication, empathy, monotasking, mindset, and kaizen. Christian believes that if technical people in cybersecurity adhere to the principles of the secure methodology they will become better versions of themselves, and will possess the human and technical intelligence required to proffer effective solutions to cybersecurity issues.

I must say that I agree with Christian’s logic on the influence of mindset on communication, that closed minded people want to be the smartest in the room and will not entertain any idea other than theirs. I liked his outline on the seven levels of deep exercise to understand the motivation of technical teams and spur their growth. These principles can be applied by non-technical people too, making this book unique in a pleasant way. As I read each page, I found myself doing most of the activities described in the book, the activity named “Block Time” that helps in time management and focus was particularly excellent.

I did not like the frequent reference made to neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) presuppositions, and how they were itemized repeatedly throughout this book. I find it banal and quite off putting, but despite the superfluousness of the NLP presupposition, the author used examples based on true stories as illustration, for example, he described how being raised by a drug-addicted mother made him fear uncertainty and crave significance as an adult so he became a dogmatic person even when his technical views were obviously parochial. The illustration of how he won a triathlon on the first trial against his competitive friend was inspirational. Readers will find these examples highly relatable, especially the one about Doug- the bully, job hopper and volatile leader.

I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars because it is detailed and practical. Despite the handful of errors I observed while I read through it, I liked that Christian shared something real with the world, not from his imaginations but from his experience, the things that worked for him and made him a better version of himself, likewise those things that did not work. This made me appreciate this book even more, so I recommend it for people who have careers in cybersecurity, as well as in any other fields, both technical and non-technical . It is a very good read.

Enjoy!

The Smartest Person in the Room
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I've had my eye on this novel for a while now. Reading your review has definitely motivated me a bit more to finally give it a shot. Lovely review!
chinaappleamui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by chinaappleamui »

Thanks for the review! I was always interested in how to ensure my security on the web. So much information is out there these days! Will definitely take a look at this book.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like the author has some unique and practical ideas to combat a very real and serious problem. Thanks for your thorough review!
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

Wait, is this a novel or a non-fiction book? I love books about technology and I am currently learning a couple of programming languages, so this book will appeal to me, non-fiction or not. Great review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the author's systematicity as well as the fact that he included the social sciences and humanities in his methodology.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

I might just read this one, have the feeling I'll enjoy it. Great review, very informative!👏👏
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I want to be the smartest person in the room. The title has a charm to itself. I wasn't expecting it to be a technical book. The 7 steps would be really great to learn about. Thank you for a great review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

This book discusses a very important topic. Everything nowadays is done online and people are vulnerable to cybercriminals, so I think the author will help to raise awareness and more. Thank you for sharing.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Your review gave this book such a spotlight. The topic pertains so much to what's going on today. Is the author giving away the code? Great job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”