Review by Sou Hi -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by Sou Hi -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tales of the 70's" by D.Done.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales of the 70’s by D.Done is a collection of novelettes with different genres. You will be reading about a Chinese man's trauma, pain, and love in the first narrative. The second tale is about a charity's deception and its members' conspiracy of silence. The third one features two thieves trying to steal an ocelot from the zoo, and the fourth story tells the love life of a thirty-year-old virgin.

The fifth tale follows a guy's encounter with two black-skinned card players on the bus. The sixth one addresses a homosexual councilman's struggles. The final novelette depicts the last moments of an unhappy man. The second half of the collection is a novella, focusing on a man named Jeff. However, it is divided into smaller parts that don't seem to connect with each other.

My most favorite aspect of this copy is the author's intriguing and thought-provoking writing style. The stories are concise, but the messages they contain are properly delivered. While some tales have palpable endings, the others leave the conclusions to the readers' judgments, so we will be able to perceive the plots as we please. Thanks to the gentle and realistic wording, you can easily relate to the characters' emotions. For example, you can feel Zhen Hua's pain and understand his eventual choice. Watching your beloved ones slowly but surely slip away from your grasp is a heartbreaking thing we never want to experience. In addition, there are some pleasant surprises that you may love to know. They don't exactly result in happy endings, but they signify the hopes for the protagonists.

Unfortunately, the messy editing would be a huge hindrance to a smooth read. I think this copy really needs another round of proofreading. It's riddled with grammar errors, and I found more than ten errors in the initial 25 pages. In addition, the first story's tenses are confusing, as the plot keeps switching between the present tense and the past tense for no apparent reason. Besides, the novella is quite obscure, and I have to say I don't wholly understand it.

Due to the above negative aspects, I can only give this tome 3 out of 4 stars. If those problems are solved, this will be a good read for those who want a simple yet meaningful book. The cast is from many nations, so it would be appealing to a large audience. Because of the sexual scenes and the vulgar words, I think the book is not safe for young readers.

Tales of the 70's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the story of the cat burglars is definitely the best part of the book.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I’ve read many reviews about this book. A handful of them have complained about the editing issues just like you have. If the author does work on the issues, I’m sure the book will be a much better experience. I’d love to read the unfinished short stories only then. Thank you for the entertaining and insightful review.
Well done.
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

I think this is something that I will love to read. Thank you for your honest review!!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

markodim721 wrote: 08 May 2021, 12:15 I think the story of the cat burglars is definitely the best part of the book.
Yes, I think it's quite hilarious to follow the men during their stealing. Based on the author's note, I guess they will have to let the ocelot go after all :D.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:56 I’ve read many reviews about this book. A handful of them have complained about the editing issues just like you have. If the author does work on the issues, I’m sure the book will be a much better experience. I’d love to read the unfinished short stories only then. Thank you for the entertaining and insightful review.
Well done.
Thanks for stopping by. Yes, unfortunately, it's very frustrating to read a book with messy editing. It's hard to concentrate on the plot if you are distracted by the errors, after all.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I normally don't enjoy novels that are a collection of stories, but this one is intriguing! Thanks for the wonderful and detailed review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure about this book, I mean, at least some stories sound interesting to me, others are probably not my kind of stuff. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

Great review. I think we can both agree that the book has so many errors and the ocelot story is the funniest story in the book.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Great review thanks for your honesty!
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Great review thanks for your honesty!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a book full of intriguing stories. Hopefully the author will fix the errors. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love collections of stories, but it doesn't sound like this is one for me. It sounds like the book needs a bit of editing as well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

The tales sound very interesting with the way you've summarized them! Hopefully, the author will take on the editing feedback. Thanks for an engaging review of this book!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This sounds interesting. I enjoy reading such collections. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”