Review by Sakura5 -- We are Voulhire: The Ascension of A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Review by Sakura5 -- We are Voulhire: The Ascension of A...

Post by Sakura5 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry is the fifth volume of the We are Voulhire saga by Matthew Tysz. Once again, with his writing ability, Tysz was able to exceed any expectations I had about this book.

Especially well-written and full of suspense, with this volume we are carried again in the magical world of Voulhire where, in the span of a few months, things have changed dramatically. The main protagonist, Galen, receives a visit while sleeping from the Emperor of Lullabies, a foreign evil entity that can communicate through dreams. The Emperor pushes Galen toward a mission: to get rid of Meldorath, the ambitious mage who took power over Voulhire by becoming eiodi, the spiritual guide of the country. Never revealing his true intentions, Galen nonetheless convinces his two inseparable friends, Rowan and Demetrius, to help him in this mission. They will traverse the Dire Vine Jungle, the most dangerous place on earth, in order to reach the prophet Akistry and convince him to challenge and overthrow Meldorath. The book ends with an epic battle between the two most powerful characters, the potent mage Meldorath and the 500-years-old prophet Akistry. Who will come out victorious?

Compared to previous volumes, this one gives more prominence to the religious theme. Through the invented religion of Destinism, Tysz explores problems that could be all too real: the need for a religious revival in times of crisis, difficult situations which make people doubt God, the search for confirmation of one’s chosen path. What I find very interesting in this series is the concept that religious people are the most skilled in the magical arts. Magic and religion are profoundly interconnected, and often the magical power is seen as a gift from God. I find this fascinating, for it is in stark contrast with the historical beliefs of the church, who in the past hunted down people for having alleged magical powers.

I have the feeling that with every new volume Tysz’s ability for constructing fascinating stories grows: storylines entangle and become more riveting, revealing the dark side of the good characters, and the good side of the bad ones. When you are able to feel empathy for the bad guy, then you know you are facing a talented writer. Tysz manages to give depth to each and every character, rendering it difficult to fully prefer one over another.

Additionally, the writing style and jokes are iconic: even in the most dramatic of moments, the characters bring vitality and levity through witty remarks. Irony is certainly one of the things that kept me hooked while reading these pages.

For all of these reasons, I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars: the plotline is especially engaging and well-developed, and there is absolutely nothing that I dislike about this volume. While reading, I found only a few minor errors, which do not account for the deduction of a full star. Even if this volume contains less profanity compared to the previous ones, I still advise too young people not to approach it. It is not possible to start reading the saga at this point, and the first volumes contain much more vulgar words and sensitive concepts. Thus, I would recommend this book to all adult lovers of sci-fi, fantasy, or adventurous genre, pointing out that one’s religious beliefs would not influence the reading experience at all. I am really glad I started reading this saga and can’t wait to read the next volume!

We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This saga seems to get better. The cover looks serious in this installment, and so does the religious theme. The writer must be talented to be able to invent an entire religion. I see a change in the characters' consciousness. Thanks for your excellent review!
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

ŰI am on the 3rd book and your review is already making me wish I could speed things up and get my hands on this book. I have however loved Meldorath ever since I began reading this series, he is just too mysterious and knowing his next moves is all too difficult. I am also surprised that the Emperor of the land of Lullabies is seeking help to fight Meldorath since I viewed him as all powerful in the previous books. Great review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author keeps readers glued to each new volume of this series with his creative writing and inventive plots! I like the way he includes humor in the midst of all the suspense and magic. This book looks like another exciting adventure in the saga of Galen and Meldorath. Thanks for the amazing review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

While I didn't get to read this far, I'm glad to see that Tysz is still living up to the readers' expectations. Thank you for the insightful review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Sakura5
Currently Reading:

Post by Sakura5 »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 13:52 This saga seems to get better. The cover looks serious in this installment, and so does the religious theme. The writer must be talented to be able to invent an entire religion. I see a change in the characters' consciousness. Thanks for your excellent review!
Indeed, I think the author is really talented! Thanks for your nice comment!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:

Post by Sakura5 »

John Owen wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 04:16 ŰI am on the 3rd book and your review is already making me wish I could speed things up and get my hands on this book. I have however loved Meldorath ever since I began reading this series, he is just too mysterious and knowing his next moves is all too difficult. I am also surprised that the Emperor of the land of Lullabies is seeking help to fight Meldorath since I viewed him as all powerful in the previous books. Great review!
I agree, I think one of the best things is that often the characters' moves are unpredictable, that is what keeps the suspense high! Thanks for stopping by!
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Great book from a great series. Good job!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:

Post by Sakura5 »

kdstrack wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 22:39 The author keeps readers glued to each new volume of this series with his creative writing and inventive plots! I like the way he includes humor in the midst of all the suspense and magic. This book looks like another exciting adventure in the saga of Galen and Meldorath. Thanks for the amazing review!
Humor is definitely one of the main strength of this saga, I absolutely love that about it! Thank you for your comment!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:

Post by Sakura5 »

smolbird wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 07:51 While I didn't get to read this far, I'm glad to see that Tysz is still living up to the readers' expectations. Thank you for the insightful review!
I am sure you will continue enjoying this saga. Thanks for your comment!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:

Post by Sakura5 »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 13:06 Great book from a great series. Good job!
it is indeed. Thanks for stopping by!
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

Sakura5 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 13:06
John Owen wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 04:16 ŰI am on the 3rd book and your review is already making me wish I could speed things up and get my hands on this book. I have however loved Meldorath ever since I began reading this series, he is just too mysterious and knowing his next moves is all too difficult. I am also surprised that the Emperor of the land of Lullabies is seeking help to fight Meldorath since I viewed him as all powerful in the previous books. Great review!
I agree, I think one of the best things is that often the characters' moves are unpredictable, that is what keeps the suspense high! Thanks for stopping by!
That's right! And Tysz uses this in his favor. To me, a book without suspense is no better than childish scribbles. Even magazines and newspapers have suspense.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved how you described the Voulhire universe and Tysz's writing style. I am looking forward to reading your following reviews!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:

Post by Sakura5 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 13:11 I loved how you described the Voulhire universe and Tysz's writing style. I am looking forward to reading your following reviews!
I just really love this series! Thanks for your kind comment :)
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Destinism is a religion and a mission to kill Meldorath is in Action. The story is captivating and I can't wait to read all the books of the series. Thank you for an informative review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”