Review by Itskai88 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Itskai88 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Itskai88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden by Retired Presbyterian minister, William E. Combs, is an inspirational, uplifting and informative book for Christians and Bible believers. I am tempted to classify the book as a guide for Christians, as it tries to clarify the concepts of sin, redemption, and exploration of the nature of faith.

The author focuses on concepts such as sin, salvation, and faith as introduced in the Old Testament especially in the book of Genesis citing the Garden of Eden episode. The reassessment of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden was a primary focus, but the author also points out the purpose of Jesus Christ on earth after the fall of man. Aside Adam and Eve, the book also talks about their children, and how Cain’s relationship with his brother is related to how sin first entered the biblical vocabulary.

The introduction of the book was very personal, one could tell what kind of home he grew up in. His poetic use of words describing how light illuminated the night sky, and how the ice diamonds in the snow sparkled was beautiful to read. In the book, he describes how he hungers and thirsts for Christ, to know more of him which should be the desire of every Christian believer. There is a lot more to faith and Christianity, so the author was not wrong on his statements on faith. Faith is not just the key tenant of Christianity, it’s the sole factor. Paul said faith is the “substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1). Faith is the very beginning of everything that really matters spiritually.

I love a bit of humor when reading books, and this author had his on display when he was describing how Eve was made. The study questions that are posed at the end of the book are very instrumental to the growth of any Christian. It doesn’t just ask questions from the book, but it also requires one’s personal opinions on the subject to provoke reflection and meditation.

The 10 chapters of the book were properly distinguished and explained, the relationship with faith in chapter 5 happens to be my favorite. The description of faith as a quantitative spiritual asset was insightful. This book is excellent for Christians and Bible believers. It might just take people who are not familiar with the Bible at all a little bit more time to comprehend it all. However, it is a well-researched educational material that even non-Christians can benefit from. It is a well written book and flawless. I would like to rate Who Told You That You Were Naked a 4 out of 4 stars.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Itskai88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Nice review! Even though I'm not Christian, the way you described the book made me want to read it. Especially that bit about the humor.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Enthralling review here. I also read this book and I enjoyed it a lot. The reconstruction of the events at the Garden of Eden is fascinating and displays a high level of imagination.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

Swat3737 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 12:48 Nice review! Even though I'm not Christian, the way you described the book made me want to read it. Especially that bit about the humor.
The author did really have his way with words. Thank you so much for stopping by.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

Kibetious wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 17:46 Enthralling review here. I also read this book and I enjoyed it a lot. The reconstruction of the events at the Garden of Eden is fascinating and displays a high level of imagination.
My thoughts exactly, it was indeed fascinating. Thank you.
Godsownjewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Godsownjewel »

Excellent review! The entire work is well structured and the title alone makes it irresponsible coupled with the intriguing story of how eve was created.
Whether Christian or not you can't be biased once you get hold of this book. Though it's handy but Superb! :D
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I have read this book. I totally agree with you on the aspect of faith. Also, I love the thought-provoking questions given at the end of each chapter. This is the best review so far.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

Godsownjewel wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 18:26 Excellent review! The entire work is well structured and the title alone makes it irresponsible coupled with the intriguing story of how eve was created.
Whether Christian or not you can't be biased once you get hold of this book. Though it's handy but Superb! :D
i didn't think of the title in that light, i am glad you brought it up and it fits perfectly. thanks for stopping by.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:

Post by Itskai88 »

Anthony__ wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 21:07 I have read this book. I totally agree with you on the aspect of faith. Also, I love the thought-provoking questions given at the end of each chapter. This is the best review so far.
thank you so much, i am glad we both agree on some aspects of the book.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Congratulations, Itskai88! Interesting review. I also loved the fact that the book is garnished with savory humour.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have read so many reviews of this book. Many rate it well, but some don't. I hope I can read it and make my own conclusions. I do appreciate Christian authors who strive to make God's message known in the most fascinating ways.

Thanks for your inspiring review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting review! I also enjoyed the humor the author included in the text. He presented the Biblical stories in a unique format. Thanks for your comments on this book.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

When done in the right way, I enjoy reading about religion. It sounds like this book approaches the subject as more of a conversation than a sermon, which I appreciate.

Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I got the opportunity to review this one, but I passed on since I am not very fond of self-help books. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Wow! This sounds like a really good read. I love that there are study questions that cause reflection. Thank you for such a thorough review! (And I love your avatar! :D :D )
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”