Review by Amy+++ -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Review by Amy+++ -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Amy+++ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Will of The Hill" by Marshall Cobb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will of The Hill, by Marshall Cobb, is a children's book about a fifth grader named Will who loves his comic books more than doing school work. One day Will's nemesis, Gertrude, known better by her nickname Intrude, because she is always getting into everyone's business, sees Will hide his comics under a hedge at school and threatens to tell their teacher, Ms. Early about the forbidden comic books. In order to save his comic books, Will has to get his friend, Dillon, to come to Gertrude's birthday party that weekend but Dillon can't know about this plan or Gertrude will tell their teacher. As Will frets over having to scrap boogers and gum off of desks for the rest of the year, Will and Dillon come up with a plan to defeat Gertrude and save the beloved comic books, but will it work?

This book may be a children's book, but I found it hilarious. There are many theories on the history of The Hill School, from aliens, landing a ship there years ago to government cover-ups I couldn't stop laughing, not to mention all the boogers. I almost needed a tissue to wipe my eyes not my nose. The author has a very active imagination, and it shows. The school sits so high up on a hill that the air is thin. Also, you can almost touch the geese as they fly overhead. My favorite part of this book would be the bus. The bus is so big that it sits six kids across and the engines on it came from a destroyer. Without these engines, it would be impossible to get up The Hill to school. The ride down The Hill on the bus is equally as fun, the only way to stop the bus is with a parachute or an anchor. Explains why children and teachers all wear five-point racing seat belts on the bus. I like seeing this kind of imagination in a story. While reading I wished, my bus rides could have been this much fun. I can't say anything negative about the book, yes it was short with only 11 chapters and 93 pages, but even that was good for the target audience.

Which brings me to my recommendation, I would recommend this book to 10 to 12-year-olds going into puberty. I feel that this book could bring some laughs to a confusing and embarrassing time. While funny, it also addresses what we all go through as we grow up, from crushes to smelling bad, everything was handled delicately with a touch of humor and even more boogers.

While I loved the book, I did find a few errors. A spelling error and a formatting error. In spite of these errors, I still enjoyed the book.

All of this brings me to my rating. As I have said before, this book was humorous and a joy to read. So, I am going to rate Will of The Hill, by Marshall Cobb, 4 out of 4 stars, for its uniqueness, humor, and ability to make us laugh.

Will of The Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amy+++'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

A fun story that many young children will enjoy!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds hilarious. I like that it tackles issues that embarrass kids as they hit adolescence from crushes to smelling bad. I hope Will succeeded in standing up to the bully. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I read several reviews regarding this book and it is always good to see different views of different reviewers. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Amy+++

Post by Amy+++ »

Sushan wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 08:28 I read several reviews regarding this book and it is always good to see different views of different reviewers. Thank you 👍👍
Thank you so much for the comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”