Review by Cardinalsparrow -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Review by Cardinalsparrow -- The Spirit of Want

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want by William H. Cole is a story built on love, desire, hate and betrayal. This story is one that further supports the saying; "Man is a collection of his decisions and the master of his fate". It goes to show that every decision made has significant effects on our lives as well as the lives of the people in it; as shown through the main character, Lucy, who out of certain insecurities and desires, made several wrong choices which eventually ruined her.

Luke Osbourne is an ophthalmic surgeon, and A.J. MacMiel is his senior colleague; a kind of mentor to him. A.J. and his wife, Agnes have two grown daughters, Elizabeth and Lucy. Luke decides to give marriage a second shot after losing his first wife; he marries Lucy who is a brilliant lawyer. The wedding was quick and rather impulsive, and was based on factors that were, to say the least, not genuine. Unfortunately, their marriage is bedevilled by conflicts from the get-go. Unable to find the kind of satisfaction she wanted, Lucy falls for Hower Bain, a client who is accused of rape. Disbarred for ethical misconduct, she abandons her family, including her daughter, and follows Bain to Africa where she is poisoned, apparently because of him. She eventually returns to the U.S and tries to reorganise her life, after being rejected by colleagues and family. Amidst all these, Hower finds his way back into Lucy’s life and she eventually comes to see him for whom he truly is.

The Spirit of Want is a very interesting book, full of thrills and twists at every turn right from the very beginning. I found it difficult to put the book down until I finished it. It’s a book with in-depth plot, powerful characterization and interesting subplots. The story explores and portrays the complexities of relationships on different levels and how the decisions we make affect the people who we’re in the relationship with; whether romantic or family relationship.

It is obvious that the author has done extensive research in the three major fields covered in the book; medicine, law and religion. The precise descriptions of medical procedures and use of appropriate terminologies are very impressive, as the legal discussions and proceedings show a realistic legal process at work. The issue of religion is a much dicier path for writers, however, the author limited the complexities involved to the characters; that is commendable.

I was very impressed with the character development which was very realistic and credible; each character had multiple dimensions and none was portrayed as entirely evil or absolutely righteous, rather, they were portrayed as having different characteristics in their “human nature”. I also like how the characters are independent in their developments and yet having similar traits; for example, Elizabeth and Lucy both had insecurities but of different forms and on different levels. It could also be observed how they reacted to their insecurities; Elizabeth becomes better, overcomes and manages hers, while Lucy allows hers to drive her into a lot of bad decisions. The author has an amazing way of placing readers inside the mind of the characters, making them understand the actions of the characters and the reasons behind them.

The Spirit of Want is an interesting book, beautifully written and professionally edited, with laudable grammatical constructions. The plots and subplots are a beautiful blend and are altogether interesting. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This story will appeal to people who enjoy suspense, mystery and intrigue.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Cardinalsparrow's review? Post a comment saying so!
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I think we need to be more careful in decision making.I want to read this book.Nice review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

With Lucy making wrong choices that ruined her, the book seems to hold real life experiences; more reason for me to read it. Thanks for the enchanting review!
PriyankaBhowmick
Favorite Book: Damn the cancer
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-bhowmick.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by PriyankaBhowmick »

A wrong decision can be rain everything and this same thing happened with the surgeon's daughter. this book sound so interesting... I like your such a good review.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Not sure what to think of this book. Sounds like an interesting story but not sure my cup of tea. Thanks for the informative review and thoughts on the book!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds interesting. I like that the book is 'beautifully written and professionally edited, with laudable grammatical constructions.' It just seems irresponsible of the protagonist to ruin her career, abandon her family, including her daughter, and chases a man all the way to Africa. Great review, all the same!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:

Cotwani wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 06:19 The book sounds interesting. I like that the book is 'beautifully written and professionally edited, with laudable grammatical constructions.' It just seems irresponsible of the protagonist to ruin her career, abandon her family, including her daughter, and chases a man all the way to Africa. Great review, all the same!
Yea, really irresponsible. Thanks for commenting.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I like it when a book teaches me something new and it sounds like the author has done his homework with this one. Nice review!
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:

Julie Green wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 15:46 I like it when a book teaches me something new and it sounds like the author has done his homework with this one. Nice review!
I couldn't agree more. Thanks for commenting.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds well written but too tragic for me.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! I love that the book had a lot of thrills and twists in the book. It sounds like it will constantly keep me guessing :) I'm also impressed that the author did extensive research for the book. It definitely makes the book more realistic.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:

Allyseria wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 16:19 Thank you for your review! I love that the book had a lot of thrills and twists in the book. It sounds like it will constantly keep me guessing :) I'm also impressed that the author did extensive research for the book. It definitely makes the book more realistic.
It's a really interesting book. Thanks for commenting.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Your review was interesting and I agree that the author showed insider knowledge of law, medicine and religion. The religious theme seemed to me to be the performance of acts of charity. It is not only the deserving who need our compassion.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”