Review by Allyseria -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Review by Allyseria -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

Post by Allyseria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Andalusian in Jerusalem is a fiction novel written by Mois Benarroch. It is a Spanish novel that has been translated into English by Enriqueta Carrington. It centres around a Spanish novelist who, as a teenager, decides to falsely tell his closest friend that he is a Jew. The book then follows the novelist as he arrives in Jerusalem for a strange writer’s festival. There, he finds a street that only exists at night, meets an old woman who looks just like his late mother and is coaxed by his friend, Charly, to read his new manuscript.

This book is written in the first person, and at first, I was confused by the long and winding sentences of the main character’s inner monologue that would suddenly branch off in random directions. But when I got used to it, this style of writing became captivating as it felt like he was speaking to us, rather than us reading a book. It felt like we were experiencing everything that was happening to him alongside him.

There were also many weird and almost scary events that happen in the book that made me wonder whether he was dreaming or not. Charly, the main character’s friend, explained that it was the ‘Jerusalem Syndrome’ where psychosis-like experiences were triggered by a visit to Jerusalem. After this explanation, the way the characters just accepted the absurd events and talked about it in a very matter-of-fact way was hilarious.

The manuscript in the middle of the book that was written by Charly was also interesting to read. Despite there being a few too many poems slotted in, I was invested in the characters and their stories. The theme of identity was strong in the manuscript as the characters questioned who they were and where they really belonged after having to convert between religions. It really brought to life the history of the Jewish conversion to Christianity.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were three minor errors in the book but considering the length, it’s to be expected. Despite the high rating, I wouldn’t recommend this to casual readers as the book makes for a heavy reading. I also do not recommend it to Christians as they are not portrayed positively in the book. However, I will definitely recommend this to those who are already familiar with Benarroch’s writing style or to those who are willing to try something new.

Andalusian in Jerusalem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Allyseria's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

There seems to be so much going on in this book that I almost want to read it just so I can find out how the author pulls it all together :) Unfortunately, the religion part is a little off-putting. I appreciated your review though - thank you!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like a book that makes the reader question things. I especially intrigued by the 'Jerusalem Syndrome'.

Thank you for the great review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I would like to think I could be objective while reading this but maybe not. I would like to get the Jewish perspective but if there are no good Christians shown it might be too unbalanced for me.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 09:50 There seems to be so much going on in this book that I almost want to read it just so I can find out how the author pulls it all together :) Unfortunately, the religion part is a little off-putting. I appreciated your review though - thank you!
Thank you for leaving a comment! Almost half the book (the entire manuscript), is centred around religion so it definitely won't be enjoyable if you don't like the theme of religion :)
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Kajori50 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:22 This seems like a book that makes the reader question things. I especially intrigued by the 'Jerusalem Syndrome'.

I actually Googled it to find out if the 'Jerusalem Syndrome' was a real thing. It is! :lol:
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

teacherjh wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 15:37 I would like to think I could be objective while reading this but maybe not. I would like to get the Jewish perspective but if there are no good Christians shown it might be too unbalanced for me.
Thank you for leaving a comment! Yes, it's a little unbalanced because the whole of Christianity was shown in a negative light. :ugeek2:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Allyseria wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 07:42
Kajori50 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:22 This seems like a book that makes the reader question things. I especially intrigued by the 'Jerusalem Syndrome'.

I actually Googled it to find out if the 'Jerusalem Syndrome' was a real thing. It is! :lol:
Wow. Now, this surely increases my interest in the book.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I'm currently reading this book and I find your review quite interesting. There are lots of things I have picked up from your review.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Allyseria
Currently Reading:

Post by Allyseria »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 11:36 I'm currently reading this book and I find your review quite interesting. There are lots of things I have picked up from your review.
Thank you for leaving a comment :) It's great that you were able to pick up a few things from my review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book sounds like a delightful little surprise. I am also interested in the writing style as I don't believe I have ever read anything like it. Thank you for your wonderful review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”