Spelling mistakes

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
rvenkat
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rvenkat.html
Latest Review: "10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book" by Scott Hughes

Spelling mistakes

Post by rvenkat »

Did anyone notice the spelling mistake in Chapter 3, Page 12? 'though' should be 'through'.

-- 23 Dec 2016, 10:51 --

Page 19: 'entranced' should be 'entrance'.

Page 41: 'sheila' is spelled 'Shelia'
Latest Review: "10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book" by Scott Hughes
losingsleepoverbooks
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-losingsleepoverbooks.html

Post by losingsleepoverbooks »

We are only human, and we all make mistakes. I have read a lot of books that have small spelling mistakes but I don't really look down on them because I can't imagine how many mistakes would be in a book I wrote. I'm not saying you should look past all the mistakes and not care about them, but I'm just saying take it easy, it happens. :)
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

There are a number of mistakes like that throughout the book. In a small way it does ditract from the overall quality of the book. But I found that the author does have a good storyline and a real ability to write and engage the reader. The web page for the book says that the book is undergoing a rewrite and will be coming out again with the mistakes corrected. I am looking forward to seeing a lot more from this author. I see a real talent there and I think she has a lot to offer the horror genre. I have already clicked to follow this author's work and will receive notifications as new material comes out. I am looking forward to it and am happy to find, yet another, talented writer from this site.?
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
cvega93
Currently Reading: Rescuing America's Democracy From Its Collapsing Morality
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvega93.html

Post by cvega93 »

It's common for books to have a least one or two mistakes. As long as it's not completely botched, then the book is still readable. Though, I did see those mistakes, amongst a few others, it didn't stop the flow of reading at least!
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Ripley3131 wrote:There are a number of mistakes like that throughout the book. In a small way it does ditract from the overall quality of the book. But I found that the author does have a good storyline and a real ability to write and engage the reader. The web page for the book says that the book is undergoing a rewrite and will be coming out again with the mistakes corrected. I am looking forward to seeing a lot more from this author. I see a real talent there and I think she has a lot to offer the horror genre. I have already clicked to follow this author's work and will receive notifications as new material comes out. I am looking forward to it and am happy to find, yet another, talented writer from this site.?
Thank you so much! I have been busy with a sick husband since December, so I haven't been following this stream much. I am still working on the rewrite. Its hard work and slow going, but we're getting there. I hope to have it done by fall. Book-2, Despicable Witch is well underway, I have about 60k words so far. Thanks again!
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

To err is human, to forgive divine.
We all make spelling mistakes. Spelling mistakes in a book reflect poorly on the editor. It was quite smart of you to pay enough attention to notice these small mistakes among may others throughout the book. However, these are understandable and excusable since they do not deviate much from the purpose of the book.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Janetleighgreen

Hi guys, I am still working diligently with my NEW editor on the rewrite and re-edit. It's going great, we hope to release the 2nd edition for Halloween.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Janetleighgreen wrote:Hi guys, I am still working diligently with my NEW editor on the rewrite and re-edit. It's going great, we hope to release the 2nd edition for Halloween.
Cool! Good luck! :)

When is the second book due?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen

gali wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:Hi guys, I am still working diligently with my NEW editor on the rewrite and re-edit. It's going great, we hope to release the 2nd edition for Halloween.

I'm still about 60k in on the first draft of book 2. I really wanted to release that one this year as well, but Unspeakable Acts had a lot of problems, so my focus has been on getting it cleaned up. Please stick with me, I think everyone will be pleased with the rewrites.

Despicable Witch, book 2 of the series, is waiting patiently in the wings, with an occasional sigh, to make sure I haven't forgotten her. ?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
gali wrote:

I'm still about 60k in on the first draft of book 2. I really wanted to release that one this year as well, but Unspeakable Acts had a lot of problems, so my focus has been on getting it cleaned up. Please stick with me, I think everyone will be pleased with the rewrites.

Despicable Witch, book 2 of the series, is waiting patiently in the wings, with an occasional sigh, to make sure I haven't forgotten her. ?
We will wait patiently as well. Good luck! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen

gali wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
gali wrote:

We will wait patiently as well. Good luck! :)
Thank you so much.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Yes, there are a number of spelling mistakes in the book which shows that book is not professionally edited.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Janetleighgreen

Naval Aulakh wrote:Yes, there are a number of spelling mistakes in the book which shows that book is not professionally edited.
The book was professionally edited. I had to hire another editor, and we are in the process of a rewrite and re-edit. The first editor didn't do a proper edit, and I didn't check her work as I should have, so now I'm in rewrite hell. It will be well worth it though. I hope you get an opportunity to read the true finished product. This first release was basically a first craft.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

One of our jobs as a OBC reviewer is to spot those errors that the author or editor might have overlooked. I normally am not bothered by a couple of errors, as this happens to the best authors.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is human to sin, none of us is a robot. By the way, I like to find a mistake in the books I read, because I prove to myself that I read carefully.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”