Overall Rating + Do You Recommend It?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Overall Rating + Do You Recommend It?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

We have so many wonderful topics and discussions so far, but I realized that we don't have a place to share our overall ratings and whether we recommend this book or not. So here it is!
  • 1 - What is your rating of Unspeakable Acts using OBC's 1-4 system?
    2 - Would you recommend this book? To whom?
    3 - If you don't recommend it, can you share with us why not?
-- 18 Oct 2016, 23:37 --

I give this read a 3/4 stars. Even with its need of editing and a few scenes I did not care for, it was hard to put down and kept me wanting more.

Based on the graphic parts of this book, I would recommend this to adults who are comfortable reading books with scenes of rape, animal and human cruelty, and murder.

It was really a hard-to-put-down book! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I already rated it (in my review). :wink:

I gave it 3 out of 4 stars due to lack of editing. I loved the book and highly recommended it to mature audience.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I give this book 2 stars. Readers who enjoy paranormal stories and don't mind some violent and sexual scenes might enjoy this book but I wouldn't recommend it. I have two reasons for not recommending it:
1. This book needs to be edited. There are way too many errors that could have been caught by a grade-school student.
2. The characters, especially the living ones, did not seem to be complete. There were so many aspects that could have been explored, but instead, characters like Doug and Scott were left sort of two-dimensional. Even the main character, Charlie, failed to capture my attention.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. I do think the book needs a little more editing, and there were a few scenes I found to be too disturbing; but overall I really did like this book! It was a quick read for me because I couldn't put it down - the plot really kept me going.

I would recommend this book to horror fans, but only adults. I think some of the content is a little to graphic and disturbing for a younger audience. I would definitely be interested in reading more from this author! :techie-studyingbrown:
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I would give the book a 2 out of 4 stars rating. My primary reason is the lack of depth in characterization. The plot is interesting enough, but I feel overall it needs to be better developed before it could pass into the category of literature. Additionally I feel the sexual scenes could be less explicit and still carry the point.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I would give the book a 2 out of 4 stars rating. My primary reason is the lack of depth in characterization. The plot is interesting enough, but I feel overall it needs to be better developed before it could pass into the category of literature. Additionally I feel the sexual scenes could be less explicit and still carry the point.
Good points, thank you! I'm soaking it all up for the rewrite. ?

-- 21 Oct 2016, 21:26 --
MarisaRose wrote:I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. I do think the book needs a little more editing, and there were a few scenes I found to be too disturbing; but overall I really did like this book! It was a quick read for me because I couldn't put it down - the plot really kept me going.

I would recommend this book to horror fans, but only adults. I think some of the content is a little to graphic and disturbing for a younger audience. I would definitely be interested in reading more from this author! :techie-studyingbrown:
Thank you! I hope you check out the second release when it comes out. There are some nice changes and we are correcting all of the errors too!
BrandyBeaudin
Currently Reading: unEnchanted (An unfortunate tale)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandybeaudin.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BrandyBeaudin »

I give this book a 3 out 4 just because of some editorial errors but in general I really did love the book, yes it is a MA book with high graphic context but all in all I just couldn't put the book down! I did recommend it to my sister who loves a good ghost story!! This is a keeper!!!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Janetleighgreen

BrandyBeaudin wrote:I give this book a 3 out 4 just because of some editorial errors but in general I really did love the book, yes it is a MA book with high graphic context but all in all I just couldn't put the book down! I did recommend it to my sister who loves a good ghost story!! This is a keeper!!!
Brandy, thank you so much! I am doing a rewrite and re-edit on the book and the second release will be out in a couple months. Maybe I can earn a 4/4 from you when it's finished!
LifeTimeBookAddict
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9">Needful Things</a>
Currently Reading: Crematorium
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lifetimebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LifeTimeBookAddict »

I gave this book 3 of 4 stars, but I don't know if I found the place to post my own review of books on this website. I had the same issues on the lack of editing, and for me, it's a huge distraction, having a background in English. Even when I'm not in "proofreading mode" I read as if the work is the final draft, so that's a problem for me... That said, it was a book I couldn't put down and wanted to know how it would end. The twisted sexual ghost and animal cruelty made me a bit queasy, but I've read worse from Stephen King and Dean Koontz, so if that's your thing, Janet Leigh Green is on track!

As others have said, I'd recommend it with caution to mature adults who can handle this level of sexual supernatural in a novel, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who I knew would be offended or uninterested in this type of ghostly horror. And then there's the premarital sex factor that some people are strongly against, even in a fictitious book. Not saying I'm a prude or a saint, but you know the audience I'm speaking of.
Janetleighgreen

LifeTimeBookAddict wrote:I gave this book 3 of 4 stars, but I don't know if I found the place to post my own review of books on this website. I had the same issues on the lack of editing, and for me, it's a huge distraction, having a background in English. Even when I'm not in "proofreading mode" I read as if the work is the final draft, so that's a problem for me... That said, it was a book I couldn't put down and wanted to know how it would end. The twisted sexual ghost and animal cruelty made me a bit queasy, but I've read worse from Stephen King and Dean Koontz, so if that's your thing, Janet Leigh Green is on track!

As others have said, I'd recommend it with caution to mature adults who can handle this level of sexual supernatural in a novel, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who I knew would be offended or uninterested in this type of ghostly horror. And then there's the premarital sex factor that some people are strongly against, even in a fictitious book. Not saying I'm a prude or a saint, but you know the audience I'm speaking of.
Thank you so much! I appreciate all of your comments and I agree on the number of errors. The book is going through another edit and rewrite. I hope you read the second edition, which will be released in a month or so.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I enjoyed the book a lot I even wrote my own review on my blog. If not for the errors I would gladly give it 4 out of 4. However, I would recommend it only to readers who appreciate ghosts and ghost stories as it may not appeal to those who don't believe in paranormal activities.
Janetleighgreen

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I enjoyed the book a lot I even wrote my own review on my blog. If not for the errors I would gladly give it 4 out of 4. However, I would recommend it only to readers who appreciate ghosts and ghost stories as it may not appeal to those who don't believe in paranormal activities.
Thank you! I hope you go back and do a review on the second edition. I'm cleaning up all the errors.☺
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I would give it a 3 out of 4. The characters need to be a little more fleshed out so that the reader can connect emotionally with them. They were great characters but they were a little sketchy, especially the ex-boyfriend.

I loved the story, but because of the graphic sex and violence, I would only recommend it to mature readers.
Janetleighgreen

Silvermoon wrote:I would give it a 3 out of 4. The characters need to be a little more fleshed out so that the reader can connect emotionally with them. They were great characters but they were a little sketchy, especially the ex-boyfriend.

I loved the story, but because of the graphic sex and violence, I would only recommend it to mature readers.
I'm glad you liked it, as you've probably seen, the book is going through a rewrite and re-edit. I think, if you get a chance to read the upgrade, you will see some if this rectified; the sex is staying though, may not be quite as graphic in all scenes, but it's there. Lol
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html

Post by Silvermoon »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Silvermoon wrote:I would give it a 3 out of 4. The characters need to be a little more fleshed out so that the reader can connect emotionally with them. They were great characters but they were a little sketchy, especially the ex-boyfriend.

I'm glad you liked it, as you've probably seen, the book is going through a rewrite and re-edit. I think, if you get a chance to read the upgrade, you will see some if this rectified; the sex is staying though, may not be quite as graphic in all scenes, but it's there. Lol
Awesome! It is a spectacular story and I will gladly read it again. :D

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”