Ever been to a place that has been rumoured to be haunted?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Re: Ever been to a place that has been rumoured to be haunte

Post by bluemel4 »

I have friends that go out of their way to find haunted places and take vacations there. I've never really wanted to have a ghost encounter. I enjoy ghost stories and watching paranormal movies but that's as far as my curiosity extends. I get frightened of cemeteries too.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

Not really, I've never had the chance. I'm not opposed to the idea at all, I think I might like it. It's seems exciting, a real horror adventure.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Pookabooks
Currently Reading: Eragon
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pookabooks.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Pookabooks »

Well I don't think the house was really "known" to be haunted but in my neighborhood when I was younger, there was an abandoned house. My friends and I got into this long conversation about whether doing the Bloody Mary thing was real. We were discussing why she was being so mean and came up with this very elaborate story about her children being taken from her and why she had a crappy life. Then we got the bright idea to try to get into the house and try it. Nothing happened, but it was exciting and creepy!
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I have been to numerous locations that are said to be haunted. In some of these places I did experience quite a number of varying types of strange phenomena. The Winchester Mansion in San Jose, California was a place I visited as a child with my parents. It is a notorious ghost "hot spot". I did not see anything strange there, but the place made me queazy. It was like I had difficulty with my equilibrium, and I was nauseous, like I was about to throw up.
The Whaley house in San Diego was another fascinating "hot spot" that is a tourist attraction. I had been there until closing, and I walked out of the house, looked up and saw someone wearing a bowler hat staring down at me from the second story window. This was as the staff was locking the door for closing. I proceeded inform them that they were locking a tourist inside and that they needed to check the second floor. They promptly stopped locking up and hustled inside to check out my claim. They came back laughing and telling me that there was no one up there. I was adamant that there had been someone there. They told me that this happens regularly when they are locking up for the night.
At an old ghost town mining sight in the California desert. I got out of my truck and let my wolf dog out to explore. I wanted to take photos and poke around a little. I had happened across the sight while out exploring General Patton's old training sights. My wolf dog saw something that scared him badly. He ran back, passed me, jumped in the cab of the truck, and cowered under the dashboard. He was a brave wolf/dog hybrid and had previously taken out rattlesnakes, and jumped in front of me to protect me from all manner of dangerous beasts. My thought is that he saw something supernatural, though I cannot confirm this.
Also, I worked the graveyard shift at a store for a couple of years. During that time I witnessed all manner of exceedingly bizarre occurrences. That place has to be the most haunted place I have ever heard of or read about. The things that happened there defy explanation. Such as: Multi-colored orbbs of light that regularly shot across the main store floor, and especially throughout the coolers at night. I would walk through cold patches, on the main store floor, that were so cold that I was not only shivering, but I could see my breath, (this area was nowhere near the coolers). Once, I had a glass coffee pot shatter when a sudden cold spot showed up. Merchandise would move on its own in this store, and I'm not talking about from people purchasing it. Once a ghost walked in the front door, did not notice or acknowledge me, and disappeared in front of my eyes. This was a "spooky" place to say the least, and I think it had some kind of gateway, of sorts, to a spiritual dimension based upon the many, many strange occurrences that happened there; I only named a few of them.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
rvenkat
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rvenkat.html
Latest Review: "10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book" by Scott Hughes

Post by rvenkat »

The only place I have been to is 'Haunted Mansion' in Disney Theme Park. Hahaha...But seriously, they claim that when someone dies, and their 'energy' (they call it 'soul' in some circles) leave the body, and has not figured out what to do next (meaning next birth/avatar), it roams around as ghosts. In Indian culture, tamarind trees are the residing places of ghosts!
Latest Review: "10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book" by Scott Hughes
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I visited a rumored haunted house. The people call it the White house because it is all painted white. It is an A-type house owned by a rich business man. He does not live here but he pays a care taker. Accordingly, this house was owned by a Spanish family but it was abandoned during the second world war. Upon the entrance, you could really feel that the house is creepy, spooky, you name it. I don't like the odor of it because it smells like the olden times.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

I've been to many places that are rumoured to be haunted, since the work I do brings me into historic buildings as a matter of course. But I've never sought out that part of their mythos.. I'm just there to help repair the damage wrought by deathwatch beetles, rising damp, and DIY disasters.
I've never experienced anything remotely supernatural. I'm of a skeptical mind about that sort of thing.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Had the chance to go to one, but I chickened out. I'd like to go someday, but I don't know if I have the balls tbh. There's this really big mansion next to a road and basically, a really rich couple lived there and they invited people over for dinner (usually young women) and take them downstairs to "show them something". Downstairs they had these awful meat hooks and would hang them on them. They also found all these weird tunnels underneath the house and stuff.
Of course, people now say that the murdered women's souls still haunt it and stuff. Not sure if I believe in that, but I still don't know if I'd dare go there.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
ramblinggnomes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html

Post by ramblinggnomes »

I have visited a couple of places, one in Edinburgh and one in York, that are supposedly haunted but didn´t experience anything. Haunted houses make me very nervous. I would like NOT to believe in ghosts but I´m just not sure enough!
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Sometimes, when I come to inspect a site, I end up taking its owner up on any hospitality offered... meaning, I end up staying overnight in historic buildings fairly often. And so far, even though quite a few of them were rumoured to be absolutely infested with ghosts, the only chills I've ever gotten have been the mundane sort caused by a lack of central heating.
I almost wish I could see something otherworldly, just because I'd consider it very interesting, but I never have.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I have been to something like this. It is creepy when you experience things like that, but in many cases there is an explanation for the 'haunting' that involves magnets or some other phenomenon, but in general I consider that to be just as cool!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

No I haven't but I would like to. I think it would be interesting.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Shermac21
Currently Reading: 30 Pieces of Silver
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shermac21.html

Post by Shermac21 »

barb429 wrote:I have been to several "haunted" locations- The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado (the hotel The Shining was based on), Waverly Sanatorium in Louisville, KY (about 7 miles from my house!), Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, West Virginia, The Congress Plaza Hotel in Chicago....I could go on. Sadly, I have not experienced anything in any of these locations (trust me I hoped to!). My former condo was in an old boarding house that was built in the late 1800's, there were times when I would see something out of the corner of my eye, or feel something touching me, but I never experienced anything concrete.
Barb419- I've always wanted to go stay at many of these places. The idea is neat but I'd probably scare myself :)
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

Never have. I would like to, though, if only to say that I have, in fact, been to a place considered "haunted", haha.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

When I was in high school, there was a small house on my high school's property that was known as the Carlen House which was supposedly haunted. One day, the Spanish teacher next door agreed to take his class and my class to go ghost hunting at the Carlen house. I didn't really believe in ghosts then and went just for the fun of it. At the house, the Spanish teacher placed a flashlight, that twists in order for it to turn on, on top of the fireplace. The Spanish teacher then began to ask the ghosts the supposedly haunted the house some yes or no questions. After ten minutes of nothing happening, we began to get restlesss until suddenly the flashlight flickered on. The Spainish teacher began to ask more questions, but it didn't seem like the ghost or ghosts were really paying attention, the flashlight just flickered on and off at random times. To this day, I'm still unsure of whether it was really a ghost or not or if the Spanish teacher was playing tricks with us, but I definitely do believe in ghosts now.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”