Ever been to a place that has been rumoured to be haunted?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Re: Ever been to a place that has been rumoured to be haunte

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

have gone one ghost tours, but never really saw anything other than once some chains started moving supposedly on their own accord. I don't know if they really did or not, because i could not verify that no one was touching them. but, my husband took a picture of a dark corner, and got a little ghost ball to show up, so ... maybe?
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kileiah »

I think this was on the Underground Tour of Seattle, Washington, where the tour guide told us a particular area we'd pass through was supposed to be haunted. I don't remember what it looked like exactly, but the atmosphere of the worn brick and damp, cobwebbed corridors that had been buried underground for over a century was perfect for evoking a ghostly presence. I didn't see anything I could describe as supernatural, but the sense of the past I got from the tour was enough to haunt me for a few days.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I visited Alcatraz (the old federal prison in San Francisco). There are lots of rumors about the island being haunted - not just by former prisoners but other evil spirits from long before there was a prison on the island.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
TAC
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tac.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by TAC »

We went to Gettysburg and they say there are placed haunted by soldiers who died, but didn't see or feel anything. Maybe next time.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I have never visited a place that was rumored to be haunted because I am terrified of places like that. I have been to haunted house and haunted mazes that were created for fun around Halloween time.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

On my parents' honeymoon, they stayed in a supposedly haunted house (unknowingly). They supposedly didn't see or hear anything! Also, my great-grandmother's house is in a book with the ghost story surrounding it. However, the story ends with it being burned, so I was never able to visit.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Not yet. If I do, I would probably have mixed emotions. I don't believe in the supernatural. But scary effects might spook me out.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

I've gone to several haunted places in St. Augustine, Florida. A fort and a jail and an old school house. Never felt or experienced anything weird, other than being fascinated by the history of it. I don't believe in ghosts or anything, but I like trying new things, so I'm definitely open to trying one of those ghost tours.
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

I went and visited a historical home with many secret hallways, doors, and dead ends. It was on one of those ghost shows and was rumored to be haunted. I didn't have any scary encounters, but I did go during the day and I wonder if that effects the experience.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I used to live in a house that was rumored to be haunted. Luckily for me, I didn't see anything. I heard sounds which weren't supposed to be heard like footsteps in the hallways in the dead of night and with all the lights off. Kind of creepy.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Martha and Asa are based off a real couple who were serial killers, and who had a sort of bed and breakfast just outside of Charleston, SC in the early 1800s, Lavinia and John Fisher.
So, that's where Martha and Asa came from. ?[/quote]

That's why they seemed familiar!

-- 16 Nov 2016, 05:29 --

Yes, my daughter and I went sight-seeing at a local old cemetery. I was taking pictures of the area and I captured a transparent woman in an old-fashioned dress with a wide brimmed hat on my phone.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

My dad used to do paranormal investigations once he retired. In peoples houses and cemeteries. I went to a cemetery with him my brother, his gf and her daughter. So my dad was off to the left with his gf looking at a tombstone and my brother and my dad's gf's daughter was standing beside him in front of me looking at another tombstone and I was recording with an digital recorder to catch sounds. Well I turned my head to look at my dad and his gf and my brother was standing with them! I turned back to my dad's gf's daughter and she was standing alone! It scared the crap out of me! The next day we looked over pics from the cemetery and found the outline of a young boy it was so weird.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

I have been to Hampton Court in England. It was a haunted tour so I don't know if the things we saw was special effects they did or if they were actual ghosts or hauntings. But when I went there during the day there was this one room which completely creeped me out. Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl. It was just a small room entirely of wood but I swear there was something there and it felt as if someone died there. I couldn't stay there for more than a few seconds. It just felt so wrong.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

A fair number of castles i've been to have had ominous stories about them. I sort of half-believed it until about the age of 9 or 10.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Post by jessejaiden94 »

The farm house that I moved into when I was in middle school was very old, over a hundred years. When I told kids at my new school where I lived they always got this weird look on their face and so one day I asked about that look. I was told that my house had a reputation for being haunted. Most kids would have shrugged this off but I was utterly terrified of ghosts and couldn't stop thinking about it.

I think that my constant thinking about it is what made the ghosts feel like they could make themselves known around me and my little brother.

Every night I felt as if there was a face right in front of my face staring at me with pure resentment. Like they definitely did not want me there. On morning I woke up and one of the feathers from my down blanket was floating in the air retracing the same pattern over and over again. It looked like cursive and I couldn't decipher it.

My bedroom door would pop open randomly all the time.

My little brother had the covers pulled off of him multiple times and felt things kicking under his bed.

I later found out that the grandparents of the landlords there had passed away in the house.

-- 24 Nov 2016, 02:17 --

The farm house that I moved into when I was in middle school was very old, over a hundred years. When I told kids at my new school where I lived they always got this weird look on their face and so one day I asked about that look. I was told that my house had a reputation for being haunted. Most kids would have shrugged this off but I was utterly terrified of ghosts and couldn't stop thinking about it.

I think that my constant thinking about it is what made the ghosts feel like they could make themselves known around me and my little brother.

Every night I felt as if there was a face right in front of my face staring at me with pure resentment. Like they definitely did not want me there. On morning I woke up and one of the feathers from my down blanket was floating in the air retracing the same pattern over and over again. It looked like cursive and I couldn't decipher it.

My bedroom door would pop open randomly all the time.

My little brother had the covers pulled off of him multiple times and felt things kicking under his bed.

I later found out that the grandparents of the landlords there had passed away in the house.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”