Ever been to a place that has been rumoured to be haunted?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Ever been to a place that has been rumoured to be haunted?

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Hey everybody,
There is this place in my neighborhood known as bhoot bungalow. In hindi bhoot means ghost. It is really famous and a prominent landmark known by literally the whole city. A few months back my freind and i made a plan to go there, at night. But we got freaked out when we saw some ghost encounters on YouTube

I have read and heard the stories of many people who have went into these terrifying places and their experiences are....well....scary.

So have you ever had the audacity to visit one of these.places. Please reply with your stories.

When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I went to visit a Fort when I was little with my family. It was one of those places where people dress up in period clothing and act as if they were living and working there. It wasn't until years later that I learned that the place was supposed to be haunted. I never experienced anything weird there.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

Port Arthur in Tasmania, Australia, comes to mind. This was a notorious convict settlement with a gruesom history. The year after I visited it was also the scene of the worst mass shooting in Australia's history. They do offer a ghost tour of an evening and a visit to the "Isle of the Dead". Unfortunately I did not have the time to take either on this trip. But touring the site even in the daytime wqs a a gruesome and thought provoking experience in its own right. One thing that really sticks in my memory is a visit to the church. It was explained to us that the settlement was the site of a penal experiment where convicts were isolated and not allowed any human interaction. The church was designed so that they could be lead in singly and seated on the bench, after which a wooden partition was installed before the next prisoner was lead in. They were allowed to see the minister only but not each other. Needless to say, the result of this experimient at the end of the day was often insanity.

If there is such a thing as ghosts and they do interact with us anywhere, this would be one of the places.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Don't have such places where I live, or I would have gone there to check it out. I don't believe in such places and would visit them if I had the option.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Exactly what i said gali. But the sheer sight of the bhoot bungalow scares the hell out of me. :(
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I have been to several "haunted" locations- The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado (the hotel The Shining was based on), Waverly Sanatorium in Louisville, KY (about 7 miles from my house!), Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, West Virginia, The Congress Plaza Hotel in Chicago....I could go on. Sadly, I have not experienced anything in any of these locations (trust me I hoped to!). My former condo was in an old boarding house that was built in the late 1800's, there were times when I would see something out of the corner of my eye, or feel something touching me, but I never experienced anything concrete.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

barb49, you sound like an adventurer. The things you saw out of the corner of.your eyes may simply have been psychological. Did you go these places at night or in broad daylight?
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

wasif_ahmed wrote:Hey everybody,
There is this place in my neighborhood known as bhoot bungalow. In hindi bhoot means ghost. It is really famous and a prominent landmark known by literally the whole city. A few months back my freind and i made a plan to go there, at night. But we got freaked out when we saw some ghost encounters on YouTube

I have read and heard the stories of many people who have went into these terrifying places and their experiences are....well....scary.

So have you ever had the audacity to visit one of these.places. Please reply with your stories.

Martha and Asa are based off a real couple who were serial killers, and who had a sort of bed and breakfast just outside of Charleston, SC in the early 1800s, Lavinia and John Fisher. My Mom and I went to Charleston and while on a ghost hunt, visited the old jail where Lavinia and John were kept until their executions.

We were told the jail was empty before we went in and my Mom was taking pictures of the outside of the jail; in one picture you can see the full front of the jail and on an upper floor, just where Lavinia's cell was said to be was a woman standing in the window looking down at us. She was wearing a black headdress with a scarf over it flowing down over her shoulders.

I believe that was Lavinia's ghost in the picture, you can't see her features, but it's her!

Since we were waiting for the tour to begin, several of us were standing together looking at the building as my Mom was taking pictures and there was no one in, or even near those windows.

One story about the Fisher's says:

Lavinia was a particularly evil woman; she was the ring leader of the two and she talked John into killing the travelers to get their money.

The town folk watched the jailers build the scaffold for the hangings; they couldn't wait to see those two brought to justice. The jailers brought John out first and when asked if he had any final words, he was contrite and asked for forgiveness. Lavinia was different story, she had Satan in her heart. When asked if she had any last words she said, "I am about to see Satan, is there anything you want me to tell him?"

We didn't see the ghost when we were standing outside, but she sure showed herself in that picture!

When we went into the building, there was a heavy oppressive feeling in the air. It was hard to breathe and it felt like you were carrying around weights on your arms and legs. There was an odd sulfuric smell throughout the building and there was the feeling of being watched in every room we entered, but when we got to Lavinia's cell, not only were all of those feelings present, but the cell was cold. It is said that her ghost has been seen by many people who visit that jail.

So, that's where Martha and Asa came from. ?
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Your post gave me goosebumps janetleighgreen. Thanks for sharing this story with us.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

wasif_ahmed wrote:Your post gave me goosebumps janetleighgreen. Thanks for sharing this story with us.
Good! My job for the night is done! You are welcome! ?
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Goodness that was fairly creepy!

I have never been to place that has been rumored to be haunted. I don't think I have any near me. I've been to Halloween-based haunted houses and corn mazes, but they were just people dressed up and popping out of nowhere. Even though I don't necessarily believe, it was a lot of fun!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Yeah hsimone, i have also been to many artificial haunted houses and they are actually kind of fun especially when you go in them with your friends. :)
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

There are a couple of places in my town that are haunted. And every single person knows it. But I would never ever enter one of those places. There are to many things that could go wrong. You could check The Matusita house in Lima.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Definitely Michelle. And thanks!!!
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

Last Halloween my boyfriend brought me to a cemetary with his best friend and her boyfriend it was almost midnight, so it was pretty neat. You could almost feel the spirits. it was an old cemetary filled with dead children so that made it a lot more creepier. My boyfriend asked me to quit touching him that it was freaking him out, but I was on the other side of the cemetary. I ran right over to his side and stayed glued to it for the rest of the night. He had completely freaked me out, but it was all in all a great way to spend our Halloween night.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”