What are your thoughts on the origin of ghosts?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
thereadingsloth
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thereadingsloth.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: What are your thoughts on the origin of ghosts?

Post by thereadingsloth »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Gali, not believing in paranormal activities is fine but then how do you explain the ghostly encounters which many people have experienced? Read the 'Do you believe in ghosts?' forum on this topic, the weird encounters written about in that forum can only be explained through something ghostly. :)
That is where I am stuck! Who am I to say that ghosts are not real, since I have never experienced such thing. I read/watch paranormal activities that happen to other people that make me say "Wow". I have even heard paranormal stories from family members and other reliable sources, so it really gets my mind thinking on what I believe. This does not mean I will be searching for paranormal activity, because that never ends well! I am keeping an open mind though, and reading these kinds of books really open up my mind to many different possibilities.

-- 12 Dec 2016, 12:26 --
godreaujea wrote:I guess I believe ghosts and spirits to be energy that remain in our world or come into our world when they have something that needs to be said or done. I think ghosts can enter dreams more easily than they can be seen as apiritions. Whenever I see my grandmother in my dreams, I think she is trying to check in on me.

As soon as a read dreams, it made me think of how creepy sleep paralysis is!
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

The origin of a ghost is a dead body :)
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

Ghosts are souls of people, who believe who are wronged. Meaning they died from the expence of another person. In other cases, a person died too soon, so they stick around to fullfill whatever mission they believe they have left. In other cases, ghosts relive a moment in life, because they enjoyed the memory.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Since I have no belief in the supernatural, for me, 'ghosts' are nothing more than errors of perception - glitches in the way the brain processes information. Some are outright hallucinations, the result of subtle seizure activity, or sleep paralysis. Others are the result of the brain attempting to make use of visual information in low light conditions. Most are simply happening because our brains look for certain patterns (especially faces) and see them even where none exist.
Belief in gods and negative racial prejudices can actually be turned off in the brain, very easily, by use of an electromagnet placed near the posterior medial frontal cortex. If such core belief structures can be altered from outside the body, I'm quite sure that natural small errors of perception occurring in the brain can create a belief structure... ghosts, angels, whatever.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I think that ghosts are those who have passed on but not necessarily that have unfinished issues. I think that they can give us guidance in some areas.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

When I was little--child to teenaged-- I used to hear things while I was falling asleep. It's pretty common, actually. There's some little noise in the room, and your half-asleep brain fixates on it, finds familiar patterns in the cadences, and turns it into speech or laughter or something. I heard distant screaming a couple times a week. For a long time I thought that either somebody was being badly abused in my neighborhood and nobody talked about it, or else the house was haunted.

I think our own psychological experiences are the origins of ghosts. Human brains do really weird things.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you believe in ghosts, which many people do, then what do you think they are? Are they some kind of energy? Or the souls of sin full dead people?
I've always thought of ghosts are being created when people have unfinished business. Someone or something is undone and their desire to make things right is so strong, the soul cannot leave this place.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I don't believe in ghosts. I do believe that demons exist and can come off as what would look like a ghost. That I believe is just to mess with people's minds though. I don't believe that the people themselves are actually there. Now I suppose one could see someone that they care about in the form of an angel as well, in which case it would be a good thing.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I am not sure what I believe. But I had this friend and she lived in a very old home. One night she felt this presence in her bedroom. Not anything scary but almost comforting. She felt the urge to play the piano, so she went downstairs and played. She felt that presence again and she turned around and there was this man sitting on her couch. She said she wasn't scared, almost comforted and kept playing.

Now this could have been all in her mind but she swears she was completely awake and it wasn't a mind trick.
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

I think there exists God's messengers that we cannot see. But i do not think that ghosts exist.
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

If anything I would think it's some kind of residual energy we really just don't understand in scientific way yet.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward

Post by Lgs1089 »

I was born and raised in Mississippi. There are many ghost stories that circulate around the small, country town I called home many years ago. My Mother always told me ghosts were not real, but would pause in between telling me this, to speak to the ghost of my Grandmother who she claimed was in the room. Completely antithetical, I know. That's Mississippi for ya. If speaking to a believer, ghosts were mostly described as something that died before it's time leaving behind 'unfinished business' that prevented its soul from passing on to the afterlife. If speaking to a non-believer, the conversation would begin with a look of skepticism, followed by a question regarding your sanity and whether or not Whitfield needed to be contacted, and would end in the "Bless your heart" way of saying you're batsh*t crazy.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

I believe that ghosts are souls of the dead that never passed on to the other realm due to hidden reasons or unresolved malice.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I think ghosts are spirits. For example; angels. My faith makes me understand that there are Godly and ungodly spirits.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”