Character and plot

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Character and plot

Post by gali »

Do you think the author equally invested in both character and plot? Did you find the characters believable?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

I thought the plot was well done. However, I found the characters very one-dimensional for the most part and simply did not care about them.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

DB44 wrote:I thought the plot was well done. However, I found the characters very one-dimensional for the most part and simply did not care about them.
Thank you for your comments. I hope you find the characters more interesting in Book-2! I'm working on that. ?
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

DB44 wrote:I thought the plot was well done. However, I found the characters very one-dimensional for the most part and simply did not care about them.
Agreed. The plot was very well done and was unique. :D
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I agree that the plot was gripping and the reason it only took me a few hours to read the book. For the amount of time spent with the characters I felt that I would not be able to tell characters apart if I were asked to.
Janetleighgreen

Gnome wrote:I agree that the plot was gripping and the reason it only took me a few hours to read the book. For the amount of time spent with the characters I felt that I would not be able to tell characters apart if I were asked to.
This is all very helpful, thank you all so much!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Martha was simplistic, I thought. I like Asa as a villain as the story developed. I would have loved even more exploration for his tenderness towards Mary and his sort of sense of duty and loyalty to Martha.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I agree with everyone else on this topic that the characters were sorely lacking. I appreciate that Asa became more developed as the story went on. But I found it very difficult to relate to any of the main characters, because it didn't seem like they were real life people. I find that people mess up and are confused about their feelings, and they push people away. Nothing is as simple as these people love each other and nothing ever goes wrong or gets messy and confusing. But I did think the plot was interesting. I thought it was original and was captivating enough to pull me in, despite my feelings about the characters.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I also have to agree that the author seemed to spend more time on the plot than the characters. However, I look forward to seeing how much better developed Charlie, Sheila, Doug and Scott become in book 2!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rachel1019 wrote:
I agree with everyone else on this topic that the characters were sorely lacking. I appreciate that Asa became more developed as the story went on. But I found it very difficult to relate to any of the main characters, because it didn't seem like they were real life people. I find that people mess up and are confused about their feelings, and they push people away. Nothing is as simple as these people love each other and nothing ever goes wrong or gets messy and confusing. But I did think the plot was interesting. I thought it was original and was captivating enough to pull me in, despite my feelings about the characters.
This was put very nicely. I also found the characters hard to relate to and one-dimensional. However, I have a feeling that we will be getting to know the crew much better as the series continues. Also, like Rachel1019 has said the plot was intriguing and original, so kudos for that! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Rachel1019 wrote:
This was put very nicely. I also found the characters hard to relate to and one-dimensional. However, I have a feeling that we will be getting to know the crew much better as the series continues. Also, like Rachel1019 has said the plot was intriguing and original, so kudos for that! :)
Thank you! I am trying to fatten the characters up in the rewrite. I hope you check out the second release of this book. I'm putting a lot of work into it with my new editor!

Yes! They are all in Book-2, as well as the books that follow!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Awesome! I'd definitely be interested in the rewrite!

Also, I can't wait to see the gang again in Book 2!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:Awesome! I'd definitely be interested in the rewrite!

I think it will flow better and it will be a lot tighter; of course the errors are being addressed. It has really helped gathering all of the feedback from this book club. The information is invaluable and I appreciate it very much!

Book-2 will come out after the second release now. I want to get Book-1 right first! ☺
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:Awesome! I'd definitely be interested in the rewrite!

I think it will flow better and it will be a lot tighter; of course the errors are being addressed. It has really helped gathering all of the feedback from this book club. The information is invaluable and I appreciate it very much!

Book-2 will come out after the second release now. I want to get Book-1 right first! ☺
That makes a lot of sense. I think it's great when an author takes feedback positively and applies it in their writing. It makes the reader's voice that much stronger and appreciate the author's work even more, so thank you for that. :)

Can't wait to give it a read!
Heidi

greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

there could have been more character development and emotional undertones. That always helps the plot deepen and become more of literature instead of just a quick read. For instance, I felt that Jay was left sort of hanging. He shows up with only a bad reputation, and then all of a sudden, it's all "okay" because he was taken over by a ghost or whatnot ... and everyone loves him and he is accepted, and actually - he has this amazing ability... This is rather sudden. It would be more believable if Charlie struggled to accept Jay, I mean - she has some pretty bad memories! All in all, the characters all feel like they're going on a vacation instead of battling murderous ghosts that won't move on.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”