The romance aspect

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

The romance aspect

Post by gali »

What are you thoughts about the romance between the two couples? Do you feel the love aspect enhanced or detracted from the story? Personally I think it enhanced the story and added a lightened aspect to otherwise chilling episodes.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I was actually a fan of how the romance between the 2 couples began. I liked how the 3 others gave Charlie the strength she needed. As I have said before, I thought the relationship seemed to move a bit too quick for my liking, but I'm glad the author added that in. Otherwise, the story would have just been a bit too dark for me. (Which says something, because I love dark and twisted.)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

The romance didn't add very much for me but it didn't outright detract from the story. It felt like a very secondary motive for the author to add romance. Some parts it almost felt like the romance was there to fill the gaps while the ghosts had their own planning time.

As klbradley mentioned the romance does move awfully fast. That being said, I'm not sure how well I understood the passage of time in the story. There were sections that seemed to jump ahead of where I thought I was reading. I felt I had read maybe 2-3 weeks of plot but the author seems to imply nearly 2 months had passed
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

It was hard for me to understand why the different characters, especially Charlie and Doug, were growing feelings for each other. I think it could have been more suspensefully developed. It's not a big flaw, though. As others said, it didn't distract from the story. Their romance wasn't really the focus of the book.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I agree it lightened the heaviness of the serious topic that was displayed.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I found that the romance helped to add so much good while so much ugliness was happening. It would have been dismal to not have some fun and see the positive connections being made. The quickness was a bit surprising but then again, I knew I was going to marry my now husband within two days of meeting him.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

Scott wrote:It was hard for me to understand why the different characters, especially Charlie and Doug, were growing feelings for each other. I think it could have been more suspensefully developed. It's not a big flaw, though. As others said, it didn't distract from the story. Their romance wasn't really the focus of the book.
I totally agree. It seemed like the romance was almost randomly thrown into the story line with not much explanation or time for development. I like stories that tie two different genres together. So having romance in a suspense/horror/ghost book makes it even more appealing to a reader who enjoys multiple genres. But the reasoning behind the romance and the feelings themselves were either not explained or were just flat. But like I said I like the idea of trying to incorporate romance into the overall theme.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
LifeTimeBookAddict
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9">Needful Things</a>
Currently Reading: Crematorium
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lifetimebookaddict.html

Post by LifeTimeBookAddict »

I chuckled at Charlie when she first met Doug if you want to call that the first romantic point in the novel (aside from the ghost messing around with her)! Her first reaction was that Doug was "the most beautiful man she had ever seen in her life." Next, she thinks his hair looks "messy like he just got out of bed." And she reprimands herself for thinking, "Oh how she wanted him in bed."

Nothing like getting right to the point, Charlie! When she calls herself a slut, I honestly wonder if something is to blame for that ghost having his way with her...after all, she wants the ghost to man handle her and then she wants the same with Doug. So...maybe she's a nymphomaniac. Hey, it's possible. I'm still only 1/3 of the way into this book, so I must figure her out!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

I think that the romance added a little something to the story line. Like others have said, it allows the reader to take a break from the scary parts of the book and focus on something a little lighter. I'm torn about it though, especially the romance between Charlie and Doug. On one hand the relationship might be just what she needs to be able to cope with the constant fear of what is going on around/to her. On the other hand I can't help but feel that when something that serious is happening, romance is the last thing on people's minds.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Kia wrote:I think that the romance added a little something to the story line. Like others have said, it allows the reader to take a break from the scary parts of the book and focus on something a little lighter. I'm torn about it though, especially the romance between Charlie and Doug. On one hand the relationship might be just what she needs to be able to cope with the constant fear of what is going on around/to her. On the other hand I can't help but feel that when something that serious is happening, romance is the last thing on people's minds.
I think you're right about the romance helping her cope. The extra support she had was well beyond what she would've had if she were just a client.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Scott wrote:It was hard for me to understand why the different characters, especially Charlie and Doug, were growing feelings for each other. I think it could have been more suspensefully developed. It's not a big flaw, though. As others said, it didn't distract from the story. Their romance wasn't really the focus of the book.
This is a good point. It just seemed like a light switch was flicked on, and then they were in love.

For me, it didn't distract from the main story in some ways, but in other ways it did. The reason I say this is because I kept thinking, how did Charlie and Doug actually fall in? How well did they know each other to say they were in love? I felt it was spur of the moment. It was also interesting that during a scary time and the reminiscence of a previous bad relationship, Charlie was able to ready to jump right in. I like romance, so that's why these questions popped in my head. :) All in all, like others have said,it wasn't a big deal because the horror/disturbing parts were the ones that shone.

-- 14 Oct 2016, 09:05 --
Kia wrote:I think that the romance added a little something to the story line. Like others have said, it allows the reader to take a break from the scary parts of the book and focus on something a little lighter. I'm torn about it though, especially the romance between Charlie and Doug. On one hand the relationship might be just what she needs to be able to cope with the constant fear of what is going on around/to her. On the other hand I can't help but feel that when something that serious is happening, romance is the last thing on people's minds.
This is a good point. I was also thinking about how romance is usually the last thing on people's minds when something serious is happening. Maybe it is the coping and sense of loneliness.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
raven19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raven19 »

"Romance" appears to be contradictory here. If the character has sex with a ghost while she is possessed, the act is under duress which makes it 'Rape' and not 'Romance'. Moreover, do the words 'evil' and 'romance' go well together? I don't think they do. When I think of romance, the associated words which come to mind are love, tenderness, happiness, etc. Well, that's what I feel !
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

raven19 wrote:"Romance" appears to be contradictory here. If the character has sex with a ghost while she is possessed, the act is under duress which makes it 'Rape' and not 'Romance'. Moreover, do the words 'evil' and 'romance' go well together? I don't think they do. When I think of romance, the associated words which come to mind are love, tenderness, happiness, etc. Well, that's what I feel !
You misunderstood. The question was about the romance between the two human couples, and not about the ghost.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I love romance in a novel even if it isn't the main event I find it spices up the novel. Romance adds a little depth and makes it more believeable.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Jjnessie 33 wrote:I love romance in a novel even if it isn't the main event I find it spices up the novel. Romance adds a little depth and makes it more believeable.
That's a very good point. I didn't think about the romance aspect adding some realism to the story, but you're absolutely right.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”