Haunted Dwellings. Fact or Fiction?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Haunted Dwellings. Fact or Fiction?

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I think it could happen. but, I don't believe it's a ghost of a dead person haunting the house - it's either a poltergeist (which IMO is demonic) or I think it could be an image of an event that happened. a shadow, as it were, of something real that took place in time. Emotions surrounding the event were so strong, that an image was permanently left behind to continually replay.
My thinking is somewhat similar to this.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I grew up in a house that other people said was haunted. Friends and relatives who happened to stay with us for a short visit ended up telling stories of ghosts and such. Fortunately for me, I hadn't encountered anything, yet I lived there for 15 years.
BrideOfBooks
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brideofbooks.html

Post by BrideOfBooks »

I do believe in haunted dwellings.
However, I'm unsure about "hauntings" I have seen too much with my eyes to think differently. Some people are more grounded and tuned into the spirit world, such as myself. Which I laugh about because it's from my mother's side of the family and I have siblings that can see, speak to, or hear spirits. My son, 5, can see and I can see and or hear depending on our own fear level.
This is a huge topic for me as I have always had the interest in the spirit world. Mind you, I do not go seeking them for entertainment as they do scare the snot out of me. :lol:
Just remember to give some respect and stand your ground as the home is your home.
Always ready to hear any ghost story as I can be a skeptic on this topic.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I do think places can indeed be haunted. My mom once knew someone who rented a house and her friend would always experience weird things when inside the house.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

Fact. Live in a haunted building for two years where we once heard screams and another time heard footsteps in the corridor outside but when i went to see who it was no one was there. So creepy
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
princemaxp
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princemaxp.html
Reading Device: B008D09MT4

Post by princemaxp »

I believe in spirits and also have felt their presence near me.....but they didn't harm me !!!
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by annieeb »

I'm not sure what I think when it comes to ghosts and haunted places. My roommate, however, 100% believes in haunted buildings and rooms. She believes that ghosts come and go for different reasons. You can never be sure, and she knows that, but she believes in the possibility.

I have also heard from other friends that they believed their house was haunted and most of them were very old buildings. One friend came home and saw all of his doors open when he had originally shut them. I think it is an interesting idea but I am not sure what to think.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

Haunted or even possessed houses are a fact. I moved into one several years ago, and it was a nightmare. I had a brand new baby and three children under the age of seven. Every morning at three a.m., or 4 a.m. during daylight savings time, we'd all be awakened by the sound of someone crawling down the hall. We spotted the entity a few times crawling down that hall. You could hear the sound of chains rattling. Very creepy things would happen, such as candles lighting themselves after a heavy wind blew through the house. It was in the middle of the night, and all the doors and windows were shut. I would be the only one awake because I would be feeding my new infant.That is only one small non-dangerous instance, and it happened more than once. The family would be altogether in one room, and something would explode and shatter in another. Feeling apprehensive about telling anyone about our frightening experiences, I finally asked the neighbors if anybody had ever mentioned our house being haunted. They got a funny look on their faces and told us the history of the house. I found out the people who had lived in our home previously had a teenage daughter that had gotten into a satanic cult. She was trying to get the other kids in the neighborhood to participate in her animal sacrifices. She ended up killing her parents in their sleep in our home. She wore goth clothing, and the chains we heard were the ones she had on her clothes. Needless to say, we started looking for help and a new home. We managed to get a handle on the activity but couldn't fully rid ourselves of it, because blood sacrifices had occurred in the home. However, we managed to keep it at bay. When my husband went to do the final cleaning of the house, he was alone. As he finished the cleaning, he felt the entity return. He said it was so strong and oppressive, all his hair stood up on his body. Until we lived in this house he didn't believe in ghosts or the supernatural. So, yes, as someone that has experienced it, haunted houses are a fact!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

I'm not sure what to think. I definitely lean on the side of no, but I also have never had an experience that could potentially sway me either way!
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Post by jessejaiden94 »

That creeped out feeling is a natural reaction to the presence of the unknown. You can heed it or you can sit around with it and conquer it.

As for haunted dwellings, I absolutely can attest to this. My childhood house was quite haunted and it really prepared me for later things in my life.

Hauntings are no big deal.
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

I have never had what people would call an "encounter" but so many around me truly believe. I worked midnights for 20 years as a nurse and some truly unexplainable things would happen, such as lights going on in empty rooms, water start running, voices, TV's coming on, wheelchairs moving, etc. A lot of patients in their last hours would talk to their departed loved ones, or see people in the room. I don't discount it or discourage it. There are so many mysteries in life that we just do not have the answers to. I believe in God and therefore I know that there is also evil. I believe in angels.

With all of the wonderful books and fantastic tales we have, the ideas had to start somewhere, something had to ignite the flame. The imagination is what created them, made them grow and come to life. So even if I have not actually experienced it, doesn't mean it does not exist, it is just one of many mysteries.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Pookabooks
Currently Reading: Eragon
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pookabooks.html

Post by Pookabooks »

I don't really believe in haunted buildings and such. However, you never know what happened in a place and how it was left. I think, as many others have said, our brains play tricks on us sometimes. They do make interesting stories and movies though.

-- 10 Dec 2016, 13:51 --
t-michelle wrote:I don't really have 'creeped out' feelings, however, there are many times that I have felt that there is a presence near me or watching me. I usually am not bothered by it - unless it is creating violent or threatening disturbances. Mostly, I feel that they are just curious.
I love your perspective on this. I have never met anyone who doesnt get creeped out by things, so that is cool. I also love that your not bothered by feeling watched, but just think they are curious. Why do we always have to assume the unknown is out to get us?
losingsleepoverbooks
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-losingsleepoverbooks.html

Post by losingsleepoverbooks »

Taking a religious perspective on this topic, I believe there are demons that take advantage of people's weaknesses. For example, when someone loses a daughter, the demon takes on the identity of the individual. Therefore, the mom believes it is her daughter and then the demon has entered her life and messes with her. (They typically aren't very nice.) However, if people trust in God and believe their loved ones have immediately gone with Him to Heaven, they should be fine! :)
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

I have heard that ghosts are real, and they haunt
the houses. I don't want to do a reality check, though!
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

There are a lot of haunted placed throughout the world. From what I've heard, if you remodle a house, the ghosts will come out to see what you're doing. Some will even let you know that they don't like it. But the ones that just wandering, they will rest again once the project is over and done with. Other times, its not just a house that is haunted but an object. So becareful what you pick up, if you feel your skin crawl, don't pick it up.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”