Haunted Dwellings. Fact or Fiction?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Haunted Dwellings. Fact or Fiction?

Post by DarthMom25 »

I agree with the majority above. I don't feel that there are haunted dwellings. I think that ghosts/spirits/whatever you call them exist, but I'm not so sure that they would haunt just one place.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I think that especially old castles- I come from Europe where there are many- can be haunted, especially when bad things used to happen there, like war or famine. Also, haunted old asylums- there is a wealth of info for the budding horror writer!
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I do believe that buildings can be haunted, but I also think that the majority of encounters are people's imaginations playing tricks on them. I think that it's super cool that you found an extra room like that! I'm sure it's just the concrete acknowledgement of how old the house is that has you freaked out, not the actual ghost of a child.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I've always wanted to live in a haunted house, but have never actually live in a place that was rumored to be. I used to have a condo in a very old building, but I never experienced anything that I could definitely call a supernatural experience.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I personally think the haunted part is Fiction, but the fact that people feel something isn't the mind is a very powerful thing you can believe you are dead even if you are still alive. Goes to say anything is possible when it comes to the human mind.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I think it could happen. but, I don't believe it's a ghost of a dead person haunting the house - it's either a poltergeist (which IMO is demonic) or I think it could be an image of an event that happened. a shadow, as it were, of something real that took place in time. Emotions surrounding the event were so strong, that an image was permanently left behind to continually replay.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I absolutely believe in haunted houses. My great-grandmother's old house was sold to a single-mom and her daughter. A series of weird things began happening after the mom tore down something similiar to what you tore down, opening up the basement. After several months, the house burned while the mom and daughter were gone, and when they returned home, with the house on fire and firetrucks in the driveway, a fireman said "We are so sorry, but we couldn't save your mother." A picture was taken of an older woman banging on the glass window. Obviously the woman who owned the house said no one else lived there. My mother says that the description of the older woman/ghost is the likeness of her grandmother. That story always gave me the chills and is the reason I believe in haunted dwellings.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I think it could be either your mind playing tricks on you or there is an actual spirit in your home. i grew up in a haunted home. the guy did do anything mean but move my stuff when i was alone. i watch stuff fall off a end table when it was in the middle of a table. sometimes tho i would mistake him moving stuff for sound of the house and outside.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I have never experienced any paranormal phenomena in my life time. I don't know if I believe in ghosts. I think a place might have a spooky atmosphere due to lighting, decor, or other reasons such as a tainted history, but I don't believe hauntings are real. Drafts, creaking boards, or natural settling of an older building may occur and might appear to represent a ghost moving. I am very skeptical. I would have to see it and experience for myself to change my mind.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I don't know if I believe in it. Ive heard stories of people witnessing such things at a friend's house. The previous owners wife of our house was struck by a car walking and died while still living here. I'm friends with her granddaughter. When my other half is gone I witness noises that I think might be her but have never seen so I don't know.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

As I don't believe in the existence of the supernatural altogether, I don't believe that there are haunted dwellings either. Scary stories and horror movies tend to feed our imagination into believing such things and that probably leads to fear. A suspicious area might seem frightening, but only due to what we imagine.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I think it is possible - such as if a very powerful event happened in a place, the "image" of it could be stuck there.
anyway, there are too many stories to discount all of them. Even if you're a skeptic - there's just too many stories. After you hear that many stories, you start believing there is something to at least a portion of them.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I believe in haunted homes. We live in a house that is over 100 years old and we believe we have a ghost in the house. She likes to turn lights on and off, some may say that that is wiring, but I do not believe that. She also loves to turn the tv on and off too. I think that she is trying to be helpful...lol
MunsterEater
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munstereater.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by MunsterEater »

I have mixed feelings about haunted houses. I am a firm believer that if I own the property then the ghost is the trespasser. If they give me trouble, they need to vacate my premise.

You don't pay bills so you don't get to act up in my house.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

I've never experienced anything strange myself, but my mother told me stories and she isn't certain if it was ghosts or if it was a prank and other various possibilities. I can't say for certain if ghosts actually do dwell in old houses. I am very curious about the topic and enjoy watching shows dedicated to haunted houses. I don't think there is anything wrong about being cautious or feeling uncomfortable around a spot, but if there hasn't been any signs of anything wrong than it probably is just your imagination and atmosphere.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”