Fear Factor

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Re: Fear Factor

Post by Janetleighgreen »

lane_vespertine wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
Scott wrote:I agree with those before me. It was more distributing and dark than scary. About 3 seem right. I actually like it better for that reason. I like dark stories :shock2:
As most of you know, I hired a new editor and we are in the process of a new edit. There is so much work to do! I can't believe my previous editor missed so much! I am actually re-writing parts of the book, but keeping the story line the same. I hope you all go back and read it again when it's done! Maybe there will be some scarier, creepier stuff in there! Lol! Thoughts???
I think this is a great idea!

I remember reading some author (honestly don't remember who) that explained that there is always something that can be improved or changed in every novel. And at some point you just have to say "enough" not because you are done per se, but because you feel as though you have done as much as you can at that moment.

I wasn't a big fan of this book. I felt like some of the characters, especially in the beginning, were a bit wooden and unrelatable. They filled out a bit throughout the story, but I would love to read a version that tweaked this a bit.

Going back to the purpose of this thread, I found the book to be a solid two.
The first interaction with the ghost (it's been a few weeks since I read it and can't remember the woman's name and don't have it in front of me...) just sort of happened. Yeah, there was the noise indicating its arrival, which is a good theme! But I felt like a little more atmosphere in this first encounter we read about could have helped build a creepier vibe throughout. Like how music in a horror movie can prime you into getting scared even when nothing is happening (yet.)

The last book that has ever deserved a five on the scariness rating from me is Salem's Lot. I read it when I was pretty young and I had to stay up all night to finish it because I couldn't sleep. So, this is my reference point.
Thank you for your feedback. I hope you do read the second release when it comes out. I am trying to feed off some of the constructive criticism I've received without losing my overall vision.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I would really describe this as more disturbing than scary. It had more overtones of evil than fear. I would probably rate it 3 or 3.5 on the scary scale.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I would probably rate this a 3 or 4 on the scary scale. I agree that it was more disturbing than actually scary, but I don't read scary stories as a general rule. I don't watch scary movies; heck, I don't even like roller coasters. I just do not like to be scared. And so I think I found this a little more spooky than other people just because I purposefully avoid scary stories.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I realized that I never gave a rating! I would give this book a 3 for fear factor. Like others have said it's more dark and disturbing than scary. I didn't have nightmares or heard any weird creaks or clicks, so that's good! But, there were times when I had to take a second and remember this is fiction. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I'd say about 2 or 3. It would have been highly scary as a movie, but as a book, not so much - I think because of the switching back and forth between past and present, and the present was overall light-hearted.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

3 to 4.....it was rather dark in some parts.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I would rate the fear factor at 1. I know ghosts exist, but the story was over exaggerated enough that it wasn't frightening.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I was definitely more "creeped out" and disturbed than feeling actually scared. I think for me it's very rare for books to get that feeling out of me. The only time I really get scared is when I'm watching scary movies on TV with the loud creepy music. But this book definitely did a good job with the creep factor.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree that the book was more disturbing than scary. I would rate it a 3.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I would give it 2 out of 5. I didn't find it much scary and the romance element made it even lighter.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I will rate it like 3
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

I would say a three it could actually be really scary to other people and dark but I’m into horror movies and true life stories on death’s and horrors so I find this fun to read.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”