Fear Factor

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Fear Factor

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Unspeakable Acts is meant to be a pretty spooky tale.

On a scale of 1 (not really scary :) ) - 5 (extremely scary :shock: :twisted: ), what rating would you give this read and why? What made this scary or not scary for you?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I would probably give the book between a 3 and 4. I didn't really find it all that scary but it was extremely dark and twisted, which does add in some scary factors.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

klbradley wrote:I would probably give the book between a 3 and 4. I didn't really find it all that scary but it was extremely dark and twisted, which does add in some scary factors.
Ditto!

I also didn't find it that scary, but some scenes were very chilling to say the least.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AlyssaC
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssac.html

Post by AlyssaC »

I agree that I did not find this book scary in the way you would anticipate a ghost related story being. I actually it some ways found the interactions with the ghost almost amusing. I did however, find some very dark and twisted topics in the book. I felt the book revolved more around the concept of pure evil existing than ghost.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Agree with everyone saying it wasn't exactly what I would call scary, I would describe it more as disturbing. An entertaining type of disturbing. :D So I guess on a scale I would give it a 3ish.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Disturbing is a good point. I found what Martha did with animals the most disturbing scenes. When reading, I usually try to visualize and play a movie in my head, but with these parts, I definitely did not. We have a dog, and it was just terrible how messed up the little girl was.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Oh I love this question! This is so much fun I can't stand it! You all got what I was trying to do. The ghost was meant to be a little amusing at tmes. I am freestyle in my writing, I learned today that's called a pancer, is that right? Anyway, I have no idea where the story is going until I write it. Those animal scenes disturbed me too, but it had to go on the paper...i couldn't stop it.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:Oh I love this question! This is so much fun I can't stand it! You all got what I was trying to do. The ghost was meant to be a little amusing at tmes. I am freestyle in my writing, I learned today that's called a pancer, is that right? Anyway, I have no idea where the story is going until I write it. Those animal scenes disturbed me too, but it had to go on the paper...i couldn't stop it.
It's awesome that you're having fun. :D The concept of your book is definitely a fun one to talk about!

I do feel that this book isn't a 5 in spookiness level for me because I'm not having nightmares (like I did when I watched The Exorcist :shock: ), even with the disturbing animal scenes. Kudos for putting in those scenes even if they are uncomfortable. It gives the reader a better idea of who Martha really was.
Heidi

LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This book didn't scare me, but a few of the characters (you can probably guess which ones) did disturb me. I guess I would give it a 3.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:Oh I love this question! This is so much fun I can't stand it! You all got what I was trying to do. The ghost was meant to be a little amusing at tmes. I am freestyle in my writing, I learned today that's called a pancer, is that right? Anyway, I have no idea where the story is going until I write it. Those animal scenes disturbed me too, but it had to go on the paper...i couldn't stop it.
It's awesome that you're having fun. :D The concept of your book is definitely a fun one to talk about!

I do feel that this book isn't a 5 in spookiness level for me because I'm not having nightmares (like I did when I watched The Exorcist :shock: ), even with the disturbing animal scenes. Kudos for putting in those scenes even if they are uncomfortable. It gives the reader a better idea of who Martha really was.
Thank you for that because as I said in a previous post, I just write and the story goes wherever it wants and I feel compelled to let it Flow. Lol! I'm glad you appreciate that.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:

Thank you for that because as I said in a previous post, I just write and the story goes wherever it wants and I feel compelled to let it Flow. Lol! I'm glad you appreciate that.
I absolutely appreciate it! I love when characters just kind of take over, and they become the ones telling the story, not the author. :)
Heidi

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I agree with those before me. It was more distributing and dark than scary. About 3 seem right. I actually like it better for that reason. I like dark stories :shock2:
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Janetleighgreen

Scott wrote:I agree with those before me. It was more distributing and dark than scary. About 3 seem right. I actually like it better for that reason. I like dark stories :shock2:
As most of you know, I hired a new editor and we are in the process of a new edit. There is so much work to do! I can't believe my previous editor missed so much! I am actually re-writing parts of the book, but keeping the story line the same. I hope you all go back and read it again when it's done! Maybe there will be some scarier, creepier stuff in there! Lol! Thoughts???
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

It's not so much scary, as it is kind of disturbing in a way. Taking that disturbing quality in consideration, I'd rate it like a 3.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Scott wrote:I agree with those before me. It was more distributing and dark than scary. About 3 seem right. I actually like it better for that reason. I like dark stories :shock2:
As most of you know, I hired a new editor and we are in the process of a new edit. There is so much work to do! I can't believe my previous editor missed so much! I am actually re-writing parts of the book, but keeping the story line the same. I hope you all go back and read it again when it's done! Maybe there will be some scarier, creepier stuff in there! Lol! Thoughts???
I think this is a great idea!

I remember reading some author (honestly don't remember who) that explained that there is always something that can be improved or changed in every novel. And at some point you just have to say "enough" not because you are done per se, but because you feel as though you have done as much as you can at that moment.

I wasn't a big fan of this book. I felt like some of the characters, especially in the beginning, were a bit wooden and unrelatable. They filled out a bit throughout the story, but I would love to read a version that tweaked this a bit.

Going back to the purpose of this thread, I found the book to be a solid two.
The first interaction with the ghost (it's been a few weeks since I read it and can't remember the woman's name and don't have it in front of me...) just sort of happened. Yeah, there was the noise indicating its arrival, which is a good theme! But I felt like a little more atmosphere in this first encounter we read about could have helped build a creepier vibe throughout. Like how music in a horror movie can prime you into getting scared even when nothing is happening (yet.)

The last book that has ever deserved a five on the scariness rating from me is Salem's Lot. I read it when I was pretty young and I had to stay up all night to finish it because I couldn't sleep. So, this is my reference point.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”