Title and cover

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Re: Title and cover

Post by L_Therese »

I found the cover quite creepy, which is in keeping with the genre, so I suppose that is a job well done. The ethereal quality did make me think of ghosts as well. The title came off as something both disturbing and sexual, and that's putting it mildly.
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

I think that the cover was intriguing and it caught my interest. The cover made me question how it relates to the story and it let me know that it is a supernatural horror. I love the title and I think it stands out even more than the cover (once you get past the cover).
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

DancingSouls wrote:I think that the cover was intriguing and it caught my interest. The cover made me question how it relates to the story and it let me know that it is a supernatural horror. I love the title and I think it stands out even more than the cover (once you get past the cover).
Thank you! I think the cover will have a few changes in the second release, but nothing big. Martha will have more opacity and the font for my name and blurb will be easier to read. So far, that's it though. ?
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I think, for this type of book, the cover was definitely very suitable; however, it did creep me out a lot and I was really scared of facing this book for a long time because I thought it would scare me TOO much. The book was such a pleasant surprise though!
As for the title, I think it fits the book super well, and I especially like how the title itself doesn't immediately connect with the genre, but when you look at everything holistically, it seems very suitable.
Janetleighgreen

psychopathycathy wrote:I think, for this type of book, the cover was definitely very suitable; however, it did creep me out a lot and I was really scared of facing this book for a long time because I thought it would scare me TOO much. The book was such a pleasant surprise though!
As for the title, I think it fits the book super well, and I especially like how the title itself doesn't immediately connect with the genre, but when you look at everything holistically, it seems very suitable.
Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it. I hope you get a chance to check out the second edition though because problems are being corrected. Then if course, we have more books to come! ???
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I find the cover too creepy and just about right for the story. I can't look at the cover at night :)
Janetleighgreen

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I find the cover too creepy and just about right for the story. I can't look at the cover at night :)
That was the desired affect. I wanted the cover to creep you out a little. ?
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

The cover really creeped me out. It was scary and was an invitation to horror fans to look within.
The title was catchy and left me feeling curious about the subject of the book.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

Post by poetrythanki »

I love the title and the fonts used for it. It's very catchy and stands out. However, I'm not much impressed by the cover. It is interesting but not attention seeking.
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens
NicciH
Currently Reading: Blood Laws
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niccih.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by NicciH »

After seeing the cover and reading the discussions my interest has really been piqued.
Cant wait to read this book.
Janetleighgreen

NicciH wrote:After seeing the cover and reading the discussions my interest has really been piqued.
Cant wait to read this book.
Thank you! Keep in mind as you read, the book is going through a rewrite and re-edit, I hope you enjoy it!
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

The cover is probably the main draw for me and as a big fan of horror novels, this one truly lived up to my expectations. I definitely enjoyed it.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Janetleighgreen

lolashoes wrote:The cover is probably the main draw for me and as a big fan of horror novels, this one truly lived up to my expectations. I definitely enjoyed it.
Thank you so much! The rewrite is even better; my editor and I are working hard to get that completed for you guys, then I can finish book-2! :D
Diving doc
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diving-doc.html

Post by Diving doc »

I love the cover illustration. It reminds me of Evangeline, by E.A.Gottschalk, which is one of my favourite books. I would read it based on this alone.

I'm not a huge fan of the font. I realise it's normal for this genre, but I prefer something easier to read quickly.
Janetleighgreen

Diving doc wrote:I love the cover illustration. It reminds me of Evangeline, by E.A.Gottschalk, which is one of my favourite books. I would read it based on this alone.

I'm not a huge fan of the font. I realise it's normal for this genre, but I prefer something easier to read quickly.
Thank you! We are changing the font for the cover on the rewrite; I liked the font too, but it doesn't stand out and is very difficult to read.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”