Title and cover

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Title and cover

Post by gali »

What did you think about the title and cover?

The cover is a bit scary in my view, but I love the title though and thought it is very apt.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

To be honest, the cover is what was off-putting for me. There was a time when I considered reviewing the book, but couldn't face the cover for very long. I thought the book would be too creepy for me. In fact, the book is more enjoyable, and I'm glad it was made into BOTM.

I think the title is eye-catching and fits very well with the story.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I found the title to be catchy but wasn't a fan of the cover. If given a page of similar book covers there wasn't much to distinguish "Unspeakable Acts" from other paranormal books with any sub genre. I don't think I would have picked this book as an interesting read if I had judged by the cover. For me, I was sold by the title and the review.
AlyssaC
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssac.html

Post by AlyssaC »

I would not have selected this book based on the cover. I do think the name was appropriate but also a bit dry. It did lead you towards the activities you would read about.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Personally I think the title was very alluring and I loved the cover art because it was actually scary. :D
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

gali wrote:What did you think about the title and cover?

The cover is a bit scary in my view, but I love the title though and thought it is very apt.
I loved the cover from the first time I saw it. I had them make the girl match Martha and I made the knife more prominent. The issue I have with it now is the fact that she is supposed to be a ghost and needs to have more opacity to her. My new team is correcting that for me as well as changing the font for my name and the blurb. It's too hard to read, although I like it for the title. We may change some of the blood splatter too.

The name came to me because of the content. I knew that some of the book was going to be very hard to stomach, so it's a warning of sorts.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Janetleighgreen wrote: The name came to me because of the content. I knew that some of the book was going to be very hard to stomach, so it's a warning of sorts.
I love that thought. If a reader has any issues with any of the themes then the immediate response is, "with that title, what were you expecting?"
Janetleighgreen

Gnome wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote: The name came to me because of the content. I knew that some of the book was going to be very hard to stomach, so it's a warning of sorts.
I love that thought. If a reader has any issues with any of the themes then the immediate response is, "with that title, what were you expecting?"
My thoughts exactly! ?
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I found the title to be perfectly fitting! I loved that. The cover was much scarier than I thought the book was, but because it is supposed to resemble Martha, it was perfect!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I thought the title was clever. It catches attention. The cover was scary but I guess people who like the genre would love it!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

The title is very good, catchy and short.

I understand all the feelings about the cover. Considering the unspeakable acts described in the book, I think a scary and even potentially off-putting cover is appropriate--appropriately inappropriate. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

The title is what caught my attention but, not being a fan of the horror genre, the cover easily made it clear that it was going to be scary.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

From the cover alone, I immediately knew the genre was paranormal. I think the title was catchy and it does have a connection with the story (you'll know why the title is like that when you read the book. :D).
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
LifeTimeBookAddict
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9">Needful Things</a>
Currently Reading: Crematorium
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lifetimebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LifeTimeBookAddict »

I'm not one to "judge a book by its cover," but I couldn't stop checking the cover out on this book! I first noticed the blonde haired girl seemed to be floating, and next, I noticed a knife on the floor. I went on reading and then checked the cover graphic again. Either I see blood splattered on the walls, or my imagination is getting away from me! I certainly don't expect the cover to be an exact indication of the imagery in the book, but where are the stairs leading to pictured on the cover? (I don't really want an answer; I'm only a third of the way through so far.) So these are my original thoughts on the book, but I hope to chime in later when we've all finished, so I can figure out who this floating woman on the cover is. I hope it's not Charlie or Sheila!
Janetleighgreen

LifeTimeBookAddict wrote:I'm not one to "judge a book by its cover," but I couldn't stop checking the cover out on this book! I first noticed the blonde haired girl seemed to be floating, and next, I noticed a knife on the floor. I went on reading and then checked the cover graphic again. Either I see blood splattered on the walls, or my imagination is getting away from me! I certainly don't expect the cover to be an exact indication of the imagery in the book, but where are the stairs leading to pictured on the cover? (I don't really want an answer; I'm only a third of the way through so far.) So these are my original thoughts on the book, but I hope to chime in later when we've all finished, so I can figure out who this floating woman on the cover is. I hope it's not Charlie or Sheila!
I hope you like the book! Keep reading and enjoy!

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”