Psychic abilities

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Re: Psychic abilities

Post by jessejaiden94 »

I definitely believe in psychic abilities. I believe they belong to a set of "muscles" that have long atrophied from lack of use. I think that if we study our minds, we can manipulate and interact with the world around us on a much higher level.

The obvious question arises: What use is this to us?

Is being able to levitate the hot pocket into the microwave really that great of an achievement? I think that human being are much too emotionally/spiritually devolved to know how to use these things properly.

The great Indian saints say that if you follow the path closely, you will eventually develop faculties of mind called "siddhis" which translate in our language to psychic powers. The Indian saints also say that siddhis are just a distraction and you should disregard them. So you can levitate something? You have been raising your hands above your head for your whole life. It's not different.
Pookabooks
Currently Reading: Eragon
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pookabooks.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Pookabooks »

I do not believe in psychic abilities as of right now. I do believe it happened to an extent a very long time ago. One of my favorite shows, Charmed, used to have a main character with psychic abilities. I find it entertaining in books, shows, and movies even though I don't believe in it for real.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Zoey
Currently Reading: Sharing Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modern-moses.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Zoey »

I do believe in psychic abilities. I have them myself. There are many dangers that come along with them. Same with mediumship ( the ability to see spirits). It is absolutely horrible when you have both of those on top of your desire to dabble in dark magic. I would go into further detail but I would have to write you a book to explain effectively just how many dangers are involved.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

I don't really believe in Psychic abilities to be honest. It is of good use for a book and maybe a sitcom, but I don't think it is true. However, people claim they do have these abilities, so I would not like to judge them. It is their right to believe in what they believe! :wink:
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I think psychic powers are a possibility but not really something we have a grasp of just yet. In general, I like to believe abstractly in things like this, but as far as concrete things go I think it is likely that if this does exist it is so rare we would almost never see it in real life. That being said, it might be something we can genetically engineer later, or evolve into.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I want to believe in psychic abilities, but I'm not sure if I do. I need to see some type of evidence to say I do believe in them. I wish they were real, though. It's definitely a possibility, but I'm not convinced yet.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I do believe that some people who claim to be psychics are actually seeing things, I just don't believe that what they are seeing are good. Personally, I don't believe that psychics can contact dead people, I think that is the devil's way of tricking their minds. I know that sounds a little harsh, but that's just my opinion.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:So far I haven't met anyone who could predict the future or any indication of psychic ability. When I was in college, though, I learned to read the cards (just the ordinary deck) which I did for fun and usually for my friends. But when my 'predictions' based on the cards started to make sense and to actually happen, I was so creeped out I stopped reading cards altogether. I don't know if that's considered psychic ability of just another normal teenage experience.
That sounds a bit like your brain was trying to make connections wherever there seemed to be just the tiniest hint of coincidence. :wink:
I'm not trying to say that your experiences were unreal, but the same thing happens a lot when you learn about psychology. For example, when experimenters are desperate to validate their research and include results that kind-of-sort-of proved their point, just to bump up their results.
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

I do not believe in anything supernatural and unverified, whether it is psychic abilities, ghosts, telepathy, or even clairvoyance. I enjoy reading about them though, but I consider them fiction and not reality.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have met some people who actually have psychic abilities. I believe in them They told me that of us have these abilities but we have to work on ourselves to attain them.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

Nope. I used to believe on it but not any longer.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Ok for me, belief is kinda two ways. One is that, I believe in the existence of psychic abilities meaning that I do know it's possible for someone to possess them, the only comma there would be the source of such abilities since humans naturally arent meant to have such connections☺ Then, believing in them for myself is an absolute nada. In fact, I'd make a u-turn if it'll ensure I stay as far away from them as possible? Of course, there're tons of fakes looking to make some quick bucks but I don't stick around to differentiate between 'em??
I do enjoy reading about them though, for the reason that it provides variety?
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

Lane_vespertine, I like your thorough debunking! I am of the same mindset, there is a logical explanation for everything. That doesn't mean that science fiction involving psychic abilities can't be entertaining, though.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Until there is scientific evidence to prove that they exist, I maintain that psychic abilities are stuffs of fiction and movie. I roll my eyes everytime the phrase "sixth sense" is used.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I'm a super science-focused evidence-based type of person and I'll never believe it until I see it. But I'm also an open-minded person who loves reading sci-fi and fantasy. So I would LOVE it if someone with psychic abilities could prove to me that they exist.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”