Psychic abilities

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
t-michelle
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-michelle.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Re: Psychic abilities

Post by t-michelle »

I believe this would be a great gift to have, however, I feel that many people claim to have these abilities when they do not, thus making too many nonbelievers. I would love to have this gift!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I think that there are people who have psychic abilities to some extent. Certainly not like what Sheila has in this book, but something much more subtle.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I have a difficult time believing in psychic abilities, even though members of my family swear that we are all a little psychic (knowing that somebody has died before being told)- my grandmother always had a specific dream before somebody died. I always thought it was coincidence though...never could quite bring myself to believe it was anything more than that.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I personally don't believe in psychic abilities. There is a very fine line between what I believe in and what I don't most people find it hard to follow. Houdini was the one who found a flaw in a few psychic's abilities andfound reasonable explinations for them and I look up to him very much, so I find them very unbelievable. There is a museum that has a horn that was a former psychics horn that Houdini went to her sessions and he proved her to be a freud. Doesn't mean I look down on people who do believe in them, I just personally don't.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I do believe in psychic abilities, but I don't believe they are anything abnormal, particularly. I think it's more along the lines of abilities that we all used to have - think way back in the very beginning of time, but for some reason or another, the abilities have largely been lost (or turned off). Some still have access to these abilities (and there are a whole ton of fakers). Now, an ability like Sheila supposedly has makes for a really good plot, but I don't believe it exists to that degree - unless she is guided by demons or something, in which case, who knows. But for people who have a "sixth sense," yes, i believe it is true. but i don't believe it is easily controllable - i think it comes in hints, in parts, more of a guessing game for the poor person who has to deal with images that float in and out. sort of a pain more than a blessing, i'd think.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I do not believe in having psychic abilities. Although obtaining one of the abilities would be convenient at times.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

I don't believe in psychic abilities, no. So far, every famous psychic has been debunked as being fake. Psychic powers are awesome to read about in books and watch in movies, but can you imagine how terrible it would be in real life? In my opinion, people who believe they have these abilities are just very intelligent and observant, and their relatives are so amazed that everyone is convinced it must be supernatural powers. If you grow up constantly hearing that you're special, then you'll believe you're special.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I do believe in psychic abilities. I know that there are fakers out there, but I think there are some genuine people who can see ghosts, I know a few I do believe can read tarot cards truly, and I do know people who are intuitive, so it's not too much of a stretch for me.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I believe that there is a possibility that someone can have some phychis abilities. i read up on clearvoyant and some of the stuff that could be done sound neat to have.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

So far I haven't met anyone who could predict the future or any indication of psychic ability. When I was in college, though, I learned to read the cards (just the ordinary deck) which I did for fun and usually for my friends. But when my 'predictions' based on the cards started to make sense and to actually happen, I was so creeped out I stopped reading cards altogether. I don't know if that's considered psychic ability of just another normal teenage experience.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

I don't think that psychic abilities exist, but there are some abilities that could come close. Think twins, or other people who are really close, knowing what each other feels or thinks... sort of like a psychic ability.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I find it fascinating, how many people don't believe that psychism is possible. That is like, believing that electricity doesn't exist. Until someone has their house wired, they will not have electricity. So, because they don't have electricity in their house, they don't believe it exists?

Yes, there are people who have psychic abilities. There are people who have the ability to move things with their minds. There are people who have the ability to see things that haven't happened yet or have happened in the past. Some people have the ability to mediate between the living and those who are in between. Others have the ability to communicate with those who have crossed over. There are many avenues our minds can take. Our brains have an amazing capacity to do amazing things, whether we believe it or not.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html

Post by Christine_B »

I definitely believe that some people are more sensitive to things that we cannot see and that comes off as them being psychic.
Jonos
Currently Reading: The 6th Extinction
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jonos »

I don't really believe in psychic abilities. It's another one of those things that I would love to believe, but just can't seem to jump into with both feet. I do think some people have better instincts, intuition and perception than others, but I am not convinced these are "psychic" abilities.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I am not really a believer of psychic abilities. I think it may be a good plot device and I have read lots of books where characters are psychic such as Premonitions and Dark Visions. I actually really enjoy reading books about psychics but I definitely don't believe it's possible in reality.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”