What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Silvermoon
Posts: 354
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 20:41
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Post by Silvermoon » 16 Nov 2016, 04:34

Wouldn't it be self-defeating? It would be similar to being schizophrenic, wouldn't it? A type of illusion or fantasy being played out? Then again, there is always the succubus and the incubus. There are reports of those entities that are similar to the ghost in the story. The victim is overwhelmed by the entity and becomes an unwilling participant. Their objective differs from the ghost in the story, but the victims wouldn't know the difference. I doubt the victim would consider it a romance. :)
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

User avatar
Janetleighgreen
Posts: 659
Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 19:04
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The Crooked Staircase
Bookshelf Size: 190

Post by Janetleighgreen » 16 Nov 2016, 08:33

Silvermoon wrote:Wouldn't it be self-defeating? It would be similar to being schizophrenic, wouldn't it? A type of illusion or fantasy being played out? Then again, there is always the succubus and the incubus. There are reports of those entities that are similar to the ghost in the story. The victim is overwhelmed by the entity and becomes an unwilling participant. Their objective differs from the ghost in the story, but the victims wouldn't know the difference. I doubt the victim would consider it a romance. :)
Absolutely! Well said! It's possession, not romance. :tiphat:

User avatar
princemaxp
Posts: 5
Joined: 07 Nov 2016, 06:33
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princemaxp.html
Reading Device: B008D09MT4

Post by princemaxp » 16 Nov 2016, 08:54

I would rather have a Vampire GF than a Ghost GF......Ghost could freak me out sometimes...

Silvermoon
Posts: 354
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 20:41
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon » 16 Nov 2016, 12:03

princemaxp wrote:I would rather have a Vampire GF than a Ghost GF......Ghost could freak me out sometimes...
Ahh, yes! But they don't "vant to drink your blood"! Ah, hahaha! :lol:
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

User avatar
Janetleighgreen
Posts: 659
Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 19:04
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The Crooked Staircase
Bookshelf Size: 190

Post by Janetleighgreen » 16 Nov 2016, 12:06

Silvermoon wrote:
princemaxp wrote:I would rather have a Vampire GF than a Ghost GF......Ghost could freak me out sometimes...
Ahh, yes! But they don't "vant to drink your blood"! Ah, hahaha! :lol:
Funny! ?

User avatar
lucymn11
Posts: 57
Joined: 04 Nov 2016, 18:23
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 » 16 Nov 2016, 18:06

I agree with what most have said. Creepy, but creative. :P

Guppy
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Nov 2016, 21:54
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy » 17 Nov 2016, 03:27

Agreed, its creepy. But more original and memorable than all the vampire romance books.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Silvermoon
Posts: 354
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 20:41
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon » 17 Nov 2016, 03:54

Guppy wrote:Agreed, its creepy. But more original and memorable than all the vampire romance books.
Well said! It is definitely more original and not something that is easy to forget.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

User avatar
CzechTigg
Posts: 257
Joined: 28 Sep 2015, 13:48
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg » 22 Nov 2016, 12:41

anneloretrujillo wrote:To be honest, I thought it was really weird at first. I actually wasn't going to read the book because of it. I've given it a second chance, and I have to admit that it is a really unique idea. What are your opinions?
Hey, it was the premise of one of the (late, great) Patrick Swayze's films.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

User avatar
Janetleighgreen
Posts: 659
Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 19:04
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The Crooked Staircase
Bookshelf Size: 190

Post by Janetleighgreen » 22 Nov 2016, 12:55

CzechTigg wrote:
anneloretrujillo wrote:To be honest, I thought it was really weird at first. I actually wasn't going to read the book because of it. I've given it a second chance, and I have to admit that it is a really unique idea. What are your opinions?
Hey, it was the premise of one of the (late, great) Patrick Swayze's films.
Hahaha! I don't think Sam would do some of the twisted things to Molly that Asa and Martha have in store for Charlie. Possession is far creepier than romance. ?

User avatar
CzechTigg
Posts: 257
Joined: 28 Sep 2015, 13:48
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg » 22 Nov 2016, 14:11

^ I hasten to add that I haven't seen Ghost properly, but have liked Swayze in what I have seen of him.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

User avatar
jessejaiden94
Posts: 30
Joined: 23 Nov 2016, 23:26
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Post by jessejaiden94 » 24 Nov 2016, 02:08

I think that a romantic ghost/human relationship is something that is not only pretty original and interesting, but just risque enough to really attract people.

I also think it to be quite feasible. Ghosts are usually just thought of as people who have not fully passed on from our earthly realm. So, theoretically, someone could open themselves up to the spirit world and have an intimate relationship with that person. Unfortunately, there would be certain things that we humans are really fond of that would be rendered impossible without a human body.

I mean like eating dinner together get your mind out of the gutter.

All in all this is a really interesting concept that I am interested in reading about.

User avatar
lolashoes
Posts: 195
Joined: 10 Jul 2016, 01:49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes » 04 Dec 2016, 05:39

It's downright creepy and just strange. Like how would you act out your feelings if you're unable to touch and feel your ghost partner? Just the thought of it seems frustrating.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

User avatar
Janetleighgreen
Posts: 659
Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 19:04
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The Crooked Staircase
Bookshelf Size: 190

Post by Janetleighgreen » 04 Dec 2016, 10:06

lolashoes wrote:It's downright creepy and just strange. Like how would you act out your feelings if you're unable to touch and feel your ghost partner? Just the thought of it seems frustrating.
Think of it more as a possession, not a romance. The ghost is making her feel the things she feels; none of it is reciprocated on a conscious level. In that aspect, it's supposed to be creepy and disturbing. :wink:

User avatar
angelbeats1
Posts: 150
Joined: 03 Feb 2015, 20:02
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: "Next Stop: Nina" by Robin Raven

Post by angelbeats1 » 20 Dec 2016, 21:52

Aren't ghosts usually invisible? If so, how could you be attracted to something that you couldn't physically see or touch? The idea of that is a little off-putting. If written correctly, this unique idea could be intriguing. I would think that not a lot of people could relate to that kind of book.
Latest Review: "Next Stop: Nina" by Robin Raven

Post Reply

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”