What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
losingsleepoverbooks
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-losingsleepoverbooks.html

Re: What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Post by losingsleepoverbooks »

I think it is refreshing! It is not a cliche love story and I like that!
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Hahaha...that's a pretty good question. Never thought
about it before. I would say I'm scared even thinking
of it!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I haven't yet read the book, so I can't say much about it. However the idea of romance between someone alive and a ghost is definitely unique. Although it does sound like it could be fairly tragic. I guess I'll just have to read the book and find out. ?
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Romance with a ghost is a trending. It sells a lot in the market because people want different twist of the story. I consider it weird but exciting. It gives you two faces of love; love which humans know and love from the other world.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I recently saw a movie entitled the Spirit of Christmas that involved romance with a ghost. I have read a few other books with this concept included and it is interesting but a little far-fetched. I like a story that is more tangible.
cvega93
Currently Reading: Rescuing America's Democracy From Its Collapsing Morality
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvega93.html

Post by cvega93 »

I think it more depends on the author that's writing it. I have read different books with this idea and some of them were just...not cutting it, but then you have ones like this one that actually make it an enjoyable read.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think it's really weird. To me, ghosts aren't even people. I mean they used to be people, but they aren't people anymore. Plus, I see ghosts as beings that you can't have physical contact with. I don't see how you could have a romance with someone who you can't physically touch.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I agree that it's weird, but it sounds exciting as well. I think we all have different opinions on what ghosts are and what they can or can't do, so a romance between a ghost and a human can differ based on the author's beliefs.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Lol, I've written flat-out erotica between a ghost and a human before. (Forgive me. I was young.) You just need to get around issue of them not being able to touch each other. I handled it by pointing out that the ghost not having a body meant it didn't crave physical things. It didn't get aroused or restless or anything. It was primarily a fun game for both parties--not a serious relationship, and not necessarily the human's *only* relationship.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

losingsleepoverbooks wrote:I think it is refreshing! It is not a cliche love story and I like that!
Thank you!

-- 03 May 2017, 21:47 --
Acwoolet wrote:I haven't yet read the book, so I can't say much about it. However the idea of romance between someone alive and a ghost is definitely unique. Although it does sound like it could be fairly tragic. I guess I'll just have to read the book and find out. ?
I hope you like the book. It's going through a rewrite and re-edit, due to some errors. Fyi... We should be done later this year.

-- 03 May 2017, 21:49 --
cvega93 wrote:I think it more depends on the author that's writing it. I have read different books with this idea and some of them were just...not cutting it, but then you have ones like this one that actually make it an enjoyable read.
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

-- 03 May 2017, 21:54 --
Rebeccaej wrote:Lol, I've written flat-out erotica between a ghost and a human before. (Forgive me. I was young.) You just need to get around issue of them not being able to touch each other. I handled it by pointing out that the ghost not having a body meant it didn't crave physical things. It didn't get aroused or restless or anything. It was primarily a fun game for both parties--not a serious relationship, and not necessarily the human's *only* relationship.
This is more of a possession than a romance. I didn't intend for Charlie to be in a relationship with the ghost, and she isn't. She's haunted by him, and he makes her feel things she doesn't want to feel. She fights it, and seeks help to find out what is happening to her.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I thought it was was pretty original and intriguing idea. I have not read something similar, and that is always a challenge to find. As for love with a ghost - love will always be found in unlikely places!
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Yes, it was quite unique and different from anything else I've ever read. I have to admit it did gross me out a bit at first. But as they say, "to each her own", so I guess it's just Hats Off to the author for coming up with such a unique idea.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Romance with a ghost is indeed a unique idea. I would definitely like to read this book because of its unique plot.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
RavenCrow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RavenCrow »

To be seduced or taken advantage of by a celestial being is simply hot. Bring it on.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I should put this book on my reading list. It reminds me of the movie The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Its a story that shows that love stands the test of time and a lover can choose to wait for you. There is a truly beautiful and romantic air to this theme.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”