What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Re: What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Post by ebeth »

I think it sounds strange.
raven19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raven19 »

To be frank, I was about to say 'absurd', when I remembered 'City of Angels' ; what's an angel but a supernatural presence? Then I recalled Ghost (the movie) too. It's a less common topic but the main problem will be in not being able to touch the one you love, to perceive. The story will always be tragic, I guess.

The movie was incredibly moving, I must say. (City of Angels) :eusa-think:
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

It's a very odd but intriguing and unique concept. I still haven't had the chance to read this book yet :( , but all of these are making me want to read it even more! Especially now that it's kind of been explained as more of a possession than a romance. I was a little confused initially at the concept! Hahaha.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

DarthMom25 wrote:It's a very odd but intriguing and unique concept. I still haven't had the chance to read this book yet :( , but all of these are making me want to read it even more! Especially now that it's kind of been explained as more of a possession than a romance. I was a little confused initially at the concept! Hahaha.
I'm glad you're interested! I hope you love the book! It is definitely a possession; you shouldn't think of it as a romance at all. Enjoy! Thank you!?
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Scott wrote:To agree with some others before me in this topic, I wouldn't even call it a romance with a ghost per se.

I read In the Country of the Young. That book had a sex scene with an invisible ghost, if I remember correctly.

I remember when I first started reading this book, Unspeakable Acts, I had to stop for a moment to text my friend about it. It started right off the bat. It humored me a bit. I said something like in the book I just started reading an invisible ghost is having sex with this lady, and I can't even say this is the first book I've read with ghost sex. :lol:
That's funny. :lol: I must this is my first reading of a character having sex with a ghost. I also had to pause, mainly because I had to wrap my mind around it. Then, remember it is fiction. After that, I was good to continue. Though with each passing scene, I did cringe a bit, which is probably what the author was going for.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Scott wrote:To agree with some others before me in this topic, I wouldn't even call it a romance with a ghost per se.

I read In the Country of the Young. That book had a sex scene with an invisible ghost, if I remember correctly.

I remember when I first started reading this book, Unspeakable Acts, I had to stop for a moment to text my friend about it. It started right off the bat. It humored me a bit. I said something like in the book I just started reading an invisible ghost is having sex with this lady, and I can't even say this is the first book I've read with ghost sex. :lol:
That's funny. :lol: I must this is my first reading of a character having sex with a ghost. I also had to pause, mainly because I had to wrap my mind around it. Then, remember it is fiction. After that, I was good to continue. Though with each passing scene, I did cringe a bit, which is probably what the author was going for.
Yes ma'am! It's supposed to be uncomfortable. I did change a little of this in the rewrite, but the vision is still the same.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

I'm wondering how it would work. The tipical ghost is supposed to be well untouchable. If you go to touch them you will go right through them. I personally would not be able to have a relationship with a ghost because I am a big fan of cuddles and I enjoy lots of touching in a relationship. If it is just talking then in might as well be just a friendship. I want to be able to connect with someone on multiple levels and on just one.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:

Yes ma'am! It's supposed to be uncomfortable. I did change a little of this in the rewrite, but the vision is still the same.
Then, you did it perfectly! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:
Then, you did it perfectly! :D
?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

barb429 wrote:
I agree....I think one of the things that does terrify me about meeting the supernatural would be the lack of control that I would have of the situation. It was definitely more of a possession, which to me is more terrifying than other types of supernatural encounters.

I feel a lack of control even when I know they aren't real, like in a haunted house!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

It doesn't fit with my thoughts of what a "ghost" actually is. more of a demonic thing, but - it definitely makes for a different twist than i've seen before.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I don't believe in ghosts so I don't think romance is possible, either (ha ha!). But it does sound weird, even to imagine.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

That's definitely not something you read about everyday, and to be honest I have absolutely no problem with that if the author makes it work. I know some people are going to apply logic to this, but the way I see it, the world inside the book could be different from the real world, so while this idea may seem odd in reality, in books I think it was extremely unique.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Definitely weird. And creepy. And scary. Maybe that's what made the book interesting :)
variek-
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-variek.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by variek- »

it's really strange, I'm just not feeling the whole book because of it

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”