What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Selbster
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selbster.html

Re: What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Post by Selbster »

From the past experience of reading books where a human is in love with a ghost, I always found the concept sad. Yes, the fact that the human can overcome the natural fear of the monster and love what is on the inside, rather than what is outside, is quite a fascinating and relatable subject, but a relationship, if you could even call it that in this book, was just tragic because, honestly, what kind of future can it have?
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

I feel it was just like someone getting raped. The girl had no choice and she would enjoy wanting it more. More than romance I would call it sexual abuse by the ghost.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

To agree with some others before me in this topic, I wouldn't even call it a romance with a ghost per se.

I read In the Country of the Young. That book had a sex scene with an invisible ghost, if I remember correctly.

I remember when I first started reading this book, Unspeakable Acts, I had to stop for a moment to text my friend about it. It started right off the bat. It humored me a bit. I said something like in the book I just started reading an invisible ghost is having sex with this lady, and I can't even say this is the first book I've read with ghost sex. :lol:
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Scott wrote:To agree with some others before me in this topic, I wouldn't even call it a romance with a ghost per se.

I read In the Country of the Young. That book had a sex scene with an invisible ghost, if I remember correctly.

I remember when I first started reading this book, Unspeakable Acts, I had to stop for a moment to text my friend about it. It started right off the bat. It humored me a bit. I said something like in the book I just started reading an invisible ghost is having sex with this lady, and I can't even say this is the first book I've read with ghost sex. :lol:
In the movie The Entity, there was sex with a ghost too. I don't know why my brain went there, but it did. Haha!
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

It was weird, really, but it makes the book interesting at the same time. Clearly, the author presented a ghost that's way different from other ghosts we've read in books and seen in movies.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Janetleighgreen

ellieonline03 wrote:It was weird, really, but it makes the book interesting at the same time. Clearly, the author presented a ghost that's way different from other ghosts we've read in books and seen in movies.
Thank you. I know it's strange, but that's where the story took me.?
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

It does sound really different but I feel like nowadays in fiction, humans are having all sorts of relationships with non-humans. There are romances with vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures so a romance with a ghost is really not all that different.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green

Post by MerryLove »

I think that this is a perfect example of one of the wonders of a novel. Something that would be weird or crazy in reality can become perceived as "normal enough" in a book. It's a way to explore and see how strange possibilities work out without having to actually see them in real life (thank goodness). For me, it was kind of like when a shapeshifter ends up falling for another magical creature. It was REALLY weird at first, but it's pretty easy to go along with it when it's in a book.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Well, I don't believe in ghosts so I don't think someone could have a romance with a ghost. In "Unspeakable Acts", I don't feel there was a romance with a ghost. A ghost possessed Charlie and Sheila but they didn't have a choice in the matter so perhaps one could call it raped by a ghost? But only in a fictional sense.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Janetleighgreen

CatInTheHat wrote:Well, I don't believe in ghosts so I don't think someone could have a romance with a ghost. In "Unspeakable Acts", I don't feel there was a romance with a ghost. A ghost possessed Charlie and Sheila but they didn't have a choice in the matter so perhaps one could call it raped by a ghost? But only in a fictional sense.
Yes, it was not written as a romance at all. It was definitely a possession.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I think it's really all subjective when it comes to whether or not one would call is romance considering the fact that the other person is a ghost. Either way, it's something that definitely takes some getting used to while reading.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I found it to be really creepy. I agree with several of the other posts. I wouldn't consider it a romance. I definitely think it is a possession.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

When I first started reading this book I thought it was going to be kinda a fluff piece about figuring what was going on with this pervy ghost. I don't like scary stories as a general rule so I probably wouldn't have chosen to read it had I known just how dark it was going to get. I am glad that I read it though. I don't think this can be counted as romance. The only way I could really see someone having an actual romantic relationship with a ghost would be if their partner were to die and then come back to continue the relationship. That would have to be a whole story about people who have problems letting go though...
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Janetleighgreen

Kia wrote:When I first started reading this book I thought it was going to be kinda a fluff piece about figuring what was going on with this pervy ghost. I don't like scary stories as a general rule so I probably wouldn't have chosen to read it had I known just how dark it was going to get. I am glad that I read it though. I don't think this can be counted as romance. The only way I could really see someone having an actual romantic relationship with a ghost would be if their partner were to die and then come back to continue the relationship. That would have to be a whole story about people who have problems letting go though...
I'm glad you gave the book a chance. It is definitely not a romance between Charlie and Asa, it was meant to be disturbing because Asa is possessing her the way he did his victims when he was alive. Asa and Martha were evil people and they want Charlie. ?
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I thought it was strange but could you really call it romance with a ghost? I mean, it was more like the ghost taking her over making her want things while the ghost was doing it, leaving her feeling ashamed and disgusted afterwards.

It plays into the whole horror story/ghost theme that are in any of the horror/ghost movies out there (not in the sense of a ghost having intimate moments with a person but same profile).

I didn't mind the "scenes", it gave the book a unique edge that you don't see in many other books.
I agree....I think one of the things that does terrify me about meeting the supernatural would be the lack of control that I would have of the situation. It was definitely more of a possession, which to me is more terrifying than other types of supernatural encounters.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”