What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

What is your opinion of romance with a ghost?

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

To be honest, I thought it was really weird at first. I actually wasn't going to read the book because of it. I've given it a second chance, and I have to admit that it is a really unique idea. What are your opinions?
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

anneloretrujillo wrote:To be honest, I thought it was really weird at first. I actually wasn't going to read the book because of it. I've given it a second chance, and I have to admit that it is a really unique idea. What are your opinions?
Believe it or not, this was odd for me too. I told my husband on several occasions while writing this book, "I need to go say a prayer now!" I don't know where some of the stuff came from, it just flowed out of me. I hope it all came together for all of the readers in the end. I'm glad you gave the book a chance!
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I thought it was strange but could you really call it romance with a ghost? I mean, it was more like the ghost taking her over making her want things while the ghost was doing it, leaving her feeling ashamed and disgusted afterwards.

It plays into the whole horror story/ghost theme that are in any of the horror/ghost movies out there (not in the sense of a ghost having intimate moments with a person but same profile).

I didn't mind the "scenes", it gave the book a unique edge that you don't see in many other books.
Janetleighgreen

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I thought it was strange but could you really call it romance with a ghost? I mean, it was more like the ghost taking her over making her want things while the ghost was doing it, leaving her feeling ashamed and disgusted afterwards.

It plays into the whole horror story/ghost theme that are in any of the horror/ghost movies out there (not in the sense of a ghost having intimate moments with a person but same profile).

I didn't mind the "scenes", it gave the book a unique edge that you don't see in many other books.
Thank you! Yes this is exactly what I wanted it to be, not a romance, but a possession. I almost called the book Possession, but it was so much more than that so it evolved. Then the whole Supernatural influence took over. Ha!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I think Unspeakable Acts is much better suited than Possession...so many books and movies could be called that because they all rotate more around actual possession. This book was on a whole different level than that. It did remind me of a movie I had seen though, and I can't remember for the life of me what it is.
Janetleighgreen

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I think Unspeakable Acts is much better suited than Possession...so many books and movies could be called that because they all rotate more around actual possession. This book was on a whole different level than that. It did remind me of a movie I had seen though, and I can't remember for the life of me what it is.
Maybe The Entity? That movie had somethingl ike that in it.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I thought it was strange but could you really call it romance with a ghost? I mean, it was more like the ghost taking her over making her want things while the ghost was doing it, leaving her feeling ashamed and disgusted afterwards.

I agree with all your points. I thought it was odd, but it fit the story well. It sure wasn't a romance as it was one-sided and a possession at that.

-- October 2nd, 2016, 8:53 pm --

I also think "Unspeakable Acts" is much better suited than Possession, and I like the title.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
TrishaAnn92 wrote:I think Unspeakable Acts is much better suited than Possession...so many books and movies could be called that because they all rotate more around actual possession. This book was on a whole different level than that. It did remind me of a movie I had seen though, and I can't remember for the life of me what it is.
Maybe The Entity? That movie had somethingl ike that in it.
No, I haven't seen that one. It had something to do with an Asylum and a fire, I think. I will have to try and do some research to see if I can find it! I'm on a mission now!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

You are right. You can't really call it romance. I didn't really think about that before you said it. I had seen it described as romance somewhere, and that's what I kept thinking while I was reading. But it really is more of a possession than a romance.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I agree with you all that it was strange, but I have to admit-- it had me intrigued from the beginning!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I agree with everything you said. :) Whether you would call it a romance or a possession, the theme was definitely something I have never read before.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:

I agree with all your points. I thought it was odd, but it fit the story well. It sure wasn't a romance as it was one-sided and a possession at that.

-- October 2nd, 2016, 8:53 pm --

I also think "Unspeakable Acts" is much better suited than Possession, and I like the title.
I also agree with everything being said here. It was definitely more of a possession by a twisted ghost. I also agree that it added to the horror aspect of the book. Pretty twisted, but definitely unique!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I do not believe in ghosts. Even if they exist I don't think they have feelings. And aren't ghosts just energy or something and you can stick a hand through them? How will you romance them then?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

hmm....it's really odd.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

The thought of it is pretty intriguing. I don't know how it will work, given the fact that you can't do romantic things that most normal, ordinary couples do, but it is still does sound interesting.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”