Past vs. present

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Past vs. present

Post by gali »

The book flows smoothly back and forth through time. Did you like this style of writing? Which period did you more enjoy? I liked the way the past enlightened the present, giving us some background in the process, but the present scenes were my favorite.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I am conflicted about what my favorite was, they were both my favorite for different reasons. The past gave us knowledge that the the present was clueless about. While in the present, the group was making their own discoveries and coming to their own conclusions leading up to the climatic ending.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I enjoyed reading about the past stories more, as so many questions were answered with reading about them.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I think the switching between different times--and thus different stories--is a great storytelling device. It helps keep up the suspense. The two stories were very well integrated, in my opinion.

I would have loved even more exploration of Asa, his relationship with Mary, and his downfall in that specific sense.

I like that we learn about the past both by (1) directly 'seeing' it happen at times, so to speak, and (2) indirectly learning information through clues discovered in the present. Again, it helps build the suspense and keep the storytelling interesting with some variety.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

gali wrote:The book flows smoothly back and forth through time. Did you like this style of writing? Which period did you more enjoy? I liked the way the past enlightened the present, giving us some background in the process, but the present scenes were my favorite.
I LOVE this style of writing. Time travel in a different sense than normal time travel stories. At times, Sheila and Jay would see things from the past but not actually be there. At other times, especially Sheila, would really be in the past. And then sometimes the past would come to the future. Very well done.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I loved the switching back and forth, for sure. However, if I had to pick one, it would be the past. Not only did I learn more about the situation at hand, but I also felt the seriousness more here than the present. There were times during the present when I was questioning, "Why are these characters are so light and happy when someone (Beth) just got murdered? Or why are they being so playful and lovey when they have these ghosts that can not only possess people, but kill people even in the present?"
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I liked the switching back and forth between past and present - that is a good way to tell this story. I can't really imagine how this would work with only one viewpoint, actually. If it was the past only, then you don't have the modern day story. if it's the present only, there would have to be some other way of discovering what happened in the past - more research from the modern characters (which, proved very difficult, at best...) Too many visions of the past would hinder the believability.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I liked the switching back and forth between past and present - that is a good way to tell this story. I can't really imagine how this would work with only one viewpoint, actually. If it was the past only, then you don't have the modern day story. if it's the present only, there would have to be some other way of discovering what happened in the past - more research from the modern characters (which, proved very difficult, at best...) Too many visions of the past would hinder the believability.
Now that you mention it, I'm also not sure how this book would work without both past and present throughout the novel. I still liked the past better, but believe one would not work without the other. Good thought! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

hsimone wrote:
greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I liked the switching back and forth between past and present - that is a good way to tell this story. I can't really imagine how this would work with only one viewpoint, actually. If it was the past only, then you don't have the modern day story. if it's the present only, there would have to be some other way of discovering what happened in the past - more research from the modern characters (which, proved very difficult, at best...) Too many visions of the past would hinder the believability.
Now that you mention it, I'm also not sure how this book would work without both past and present throughout the novel. I still liked the past better, but believe one would not work without the other. Good thought! :)
Exactly!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I enjoy this type of writing. I believe to really understand the future or present we must know the past. The past answers a lot of questions for the reader.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Kdonegan91 wrote:I enjoy this type of writing. I believe to really understand the future or present we must know the past. The past answers a lot of questions for the reader.
Thank you. ☺
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Kdonegan91 wrote:I enjoy this type of writing. I believe to really understand the future or present we must know the past. The past answers a lot of questions for the reader.
Thank you. ☺
:)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very well said! :)
Heidi

Immaculata Uduma
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculata-uduma.html

Post by Immaculata Uduma »

The past connects the present.The essence of research is to bring what has existed to what is existing. There is always reference to past events when present condition demands so.Past and present work hand in hand.
Kisses
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3330">Love accidental</a>
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kisses »

Telling two stories at the same time is a great writing, you will see in the style of writing in how it compares and reflects the two different path of story, but they are connected and having the same point of view.
The story was interesting.
Thank You.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”