Alternate ending

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Alternate ending

Post by gali »

What did you think about the alternate ending? I thought it was unnecessary as basically most of it was the same.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

gali wrote:What did you think about the alternate ending? I thought it was unnecessary as basically most of it was the same.
I had different opinions on this when going through the editing process. I like the alternate ending the best and so did one of my betas. The other beta liked the original ending as did the editor. I thought I would try being innovative and do an alternate ending, but it hasn't gone over well. I'm correcting that in the second edit.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have to agree. I loved the way the original ending ended, but found the alternate ending to be a redundant.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

My issue with the alternate ending was that it ended the same, nothing was added but detail. I feel like if an alternate end "needed" to be included then Martha/Asa should have gotten their way, at least that's what I was hoping for when I read it. It would have been a nice way for a reader to choose "yay! Let's read more" or "that was a story. I'm moving on to something else"
Janetleighgreen

Gnome wrote:My issue with the alternate ending was that it ended the same, nothing was added but detail. I feel like if an alternate end "needed" to be included then Martha/Asa should have gotten their way, at least that's what I was hoping for when I read it. It would have been a nice way for a reader to choose "yay! Let's read more" or "that was a story. I'm moving on to something else"
That is a very good point! I am picking one ending in the re-edit and that's it. I appreciate the feedback, it's very helpful. It's true that it wasn't really an alternate ending so much as just adding on to the original. Your ending would've been cool. ?Thanks again!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I was not a fan of the alternate ending either. As Gali said, it seemed to be too similar to the actual ending. I was actually a bit frustrated with how far back the alternate ending started as well. It felt as though I read several pages that were the exact same.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Janetleighgreen

klbradley wrote:I was not a fan of the alternate ending either. As Gali said, it seemed to be too similar to the actual ending. I was actually a bit frustrated with how far back the alternate ending started as well. It felt as though I read several pages that were the exact same.
Yeah, it was a definite misfire on that one. I should've done what was suggested in the earlier post and let Martha and Asa have Charlie or something like that if I was going to try an alternate ending. Live and learn.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
gali wrote:What did you think about the alternate ending? I thought it was unnecessary as basically most of it was the same.
I had different opinions on this when going through the editing process. I like the alternate ending the best and so did one of my betas. The other beta liked the original ending as did the editor. I thought I would try being innovative and do an alternate ending, but it hasn't gone over well. I'm correcting that in the second edit.
It's neat to see how you (the author) has taken feedback and applied it to your work. I think fans can often view their favorite writers as these infallible professionals who are too good and too perfect to take notes from their readers. While I don't think it's wise to pander to the lowest common denominator (not what I feel you're doing at all) taking an honest look at something and reflecting how to improve it shows maturity and a willingness to grow.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Shelle wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
It's neat to see how you (the author) has taken feedback and applied it to your work. I think fans can often view their favorite writers as these infallible professionals who are too good and too perfect to take notes from their readers. While I don't think it's wise to pander to the lowest common denominator (not what I feel you're doing at all) taking an honest look at something and reflecting how to improve it shows maturity and a willingness to grow.

I was thinking the same thing! She's responded back several times, and it's nice to see an author who engages with the readers!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Janetleighgreen

Shelle wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
It's neat to see how you (the author) has taken feedback and applied it to your work. I think fans can
often view their favorite writers as these infallible professionals who are too good and too perfect to take notes from their readers. While I don't think it's wise to pander to the lowest common denominator (not what I feel you're doing at all) taking an honest look at something and reflecting how to improve it shows maturity and a willingness to grow.
Thank you so much! I want to be a better writer and my job is to make readers want to read my books. I will always listen and take some and leave some and as you said, no pandering. Lol!

-- 03 Oct 2016, 12:42 --

Thank you as well KBradley!!!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

As a reader, part of the struggle to appreciate the alternate ending is it comes so quick. I didn't realize the epilogue was over until I flipped the page and saw the words alternate ending. I started reading then, so it takes away from the closure. Perhaps a better way would be to publish the alternate ending online and include a short note in the 'after matter' about it being available online. That way it would be more separate.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Scott wrote:As a reader, part of the struggle to appreciate the alternate ending is it comes so quick. I didn't realize the epilogue was over until I flipped the page and saw the words alternate ending. I started reading then, so it takes away from the closure. Perhaps a better way would be to publish the alternate ending online and include a short note in the 'after matter' about it being available online. That way it would be more separate.
I was thinking the same thing. Like on a bluray/dvd. They sometimes have alternate endings in the bonus content section. When you flip to it, its like "Oh neat." However, if movies ended and before the roll credits scene it went straight to the alternate ending, most movie goers would be "Eh,"

I think alternate endings are fun, they let the story evolve into something else. But placement is definitely key. If you really wanted to put it in the book, add some space. Let the epilogue end, put in your thanks, maybe a mini author bio, and then have the bonus alternate ending. It allows the story to end, the reader to catch their breath, so that when they turn to that page its "Oh thats neat." reaction.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Janetleighgreen

Lauren M wrote:
Scott wrote:As a reader, part of the struggle to appreciate the alternate ending is it comes so quick. I didn't realize the epilogue was over until I flipped the page and saw the words alternate ending. I started reading then, so it takes away from the closure. Perhaps a better way would be to publish the alternate ending online and include a short note in the 'after matter' about it being available online. That way it would be more separate.
I was thinking the same thing. Like on a bluray/dvd. They sometimes have alternate endings in the bonus content section. When you flip to it, its like "Oh neat." However, if movies ended and before the roll credits scene it went straight to the alternate ending, most movie goers would be "Eh,"

I think alternate endings are fun, they let the story evolve into something else. But placement is definitely key. If you really wanted to put it in the book, add some space. Let the epilogue end, put in your thanks, maybe a mini author bio, and then have the bonus alternate ending. It allows the story to end, the reader to catch their breath, so that when they turn to that page its "Oh thats neat." reaction.
Ooh! I love these ideas! You guys are great! One post said to change the ending to let Martha and Asa have their way. I thought that was a nice touch. I will go back and see who said that. I may want to do something like that and give her some kudos for the idea. Thoughts???
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I agree with Gali. I thought the alternate ending was just unnecessary.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Janetleighgreen

LivreAmour217 wrote:I agree with Gali. I thought the alternate ending was just unnecessary.
I think you guys are right. I told my new editor the other day that we needed to get rid of one of them in the re-edit.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”