Alternate ending

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Alternate ending

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:As a reader, part of the struggle to appreciate the alternate ending is it comes so quick. I didn't realize the epilogue was over until I flipped the page and saw the words alternate ending. I started reading then, so it takes away from the closure. Perhaps a better way would be to publish the alternate ending online and include a short note in the 'after matter' about it being available online. That way it would be more separate.
I agree. A great idea about publishing the alternate ending online!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I'm having trouble even remembering the differences between the endings. I do remember that it seemed like most of the text was verbatim the same. I recall Charlie being put on the table in one but not the other (I think).

What were the significant differences between the endings?

---
Lauren M wrote:
Scott wrote:As a reader, part of the struggle to appreciate the alternate ending is it comes so quick. I didn't realize the epilogue was over until I flipped the page and saw the words alternate ending. I started reading then, so it takes away from the closure. Perhaps a better way would be to publish the alternate ending online and include a short note in the 'after matter' about it being available online. That way it would be more separate.
I was thinking the same thing. Like on a bluray/dvd. They sometimes have alternate endings in the bonus content section. When you flip to it, its like "Oh neat." However, if movies ended and before the roll credits scene it went straight to the alternate ending, most movie goers would be "Eh,"
Yes, exactly! :D
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I actually liked the alternate ending. I think there was more suspense in it than the original ending. My only disappointment is that it basically just had the same ending as that of the first. I thought Martha and Asa would get their hands on Charlie and everyone would be dead (or something like that) but only some of the scenes leading to the ending were changed. I didn't actually get an alternate ending. I got alternate scenes.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

ellieonline03 wrote:I actually liked the alternate ending. I think there was more suspense in it than the original ending. My only disappointment is that it basically just had the same ending as that of the first. I thought Martha and Asa would get their hands on Charlie and everyone would be dead (or something like that) but only some of the scenes leading to the ending were changed. I didn't actually get an alternate ending. I got alternate scenes.
Yeah, that was a definite miss. I'm taking care of that in the re-edit. ?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I thought the alternate was weird, just didn't belong. The first ending works better. The alternate is simply not necessary.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

I think that the alternate ending had potential, but when Charlie ended up on the table I was hoping for it to be a little bit more dramatic than her friends just cutting her free. Insert epic battle scene where her friends are battling ghosts while Charlie gets a little cut up by Martha? Otherwise it doesn't make much sense to have it.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

I really agree. For me there were no gigantic changes. So at the end it was unnecessary to include it. Just a thought.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Shelle wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
I had different opinions on this when going through the editing process. I like the alternate ending the best and so did one of my betas. The other beta liked the original ending as did the editor. I thought I would try being innovative and do an alternate ending, but it hasn't gone over well. I'm correcting that in the second edit.
It's neat to see how you (the author) has taken feedback and applied it to your work. I think fans can
often view their favorite writers as these infallible professionals who are too good and too perfect to take notes from their readers. While I don't think it's wise to pander to the lowest common denominator (not what I feel you're doing at all) taking an honest look at something and reflecting how to improve it shows maturity and a willingness to grow.
Thank you so much! I want to be a better writer and my job is to make readers want to read my books. I will always listen and take some and leave some and as you said, no pandering. Lol!

-- 03 Oct 2016, 12:42 --

Thank you as well KBradley!!!
I am unsure what else to add to this post since everyone has said what I have been thinking. However, I do want to reiterate how wonderful the author been to the comments made about her book. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I agree with many in here; the alternate ending wasn't worth the read, really.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

The alternate ending was redundant and unnecessary as well. It was frustrating after enjoying the first ending to read the alternate expecting different and not getting it. Alternate endings in general frustrate me, if you commit to one ending, please stick with it. This is true for both books and movies.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I agree with Scott from above: the alternate ending should have been separated farther so that it didn't detract from the closure of the book. Moreover, it could have been a great call-to-action to entice readers to follow the author outside of the book.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

James Craft wrote:I agree with Scott from above: the alternate ending should have been separated farther so that it didn't detract from the closure of the book. Moreover, it could have been a great call-to-action to entice readers to follow the author outside of the book.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the process of a rewrite and re-edit, so I'll probably pick an ending and go with it, that was a bad idea. Haha.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

To me alternate ending was really not necessary.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

The original ending was quite fun and a good way to end things. The altering ending on the other had did add a few more details and facts that could be helpful but it still has a lot of similarities to the original ending and I think alternate ending should not be similar stories.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”