Questions for the Author

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Re: Questions for the Author

Post by Janetleighgreen »

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:
I think it's wonderful that you started to love reading at such a young age. Who knew that a simple kind gesture (giving a box of books) would eventually lead you to become an author? I can definitely see you enjoying Stephen King. I tried reading and watching the movie, It once. I was too chicken to get too far! :lol:

Thank you for sharing!
You're welcome! Thank you for the questions! Yes, 'It' is an intense and scary ride for sure! I absolutely loved that book and they did a good job on the movie too. A lot of times, Stephen King's stories lose too much in the transition because he's so detailed. 'The Shining' had a huge influence on me. That book was creepy! The movie was really well done too. The Jack Nicholson version, the TV version was lame. Haha.
Ha, I didn't even realize that there was a TV version!

When is your favorite time of day to write?
I write every chance I have! My schedule is pretty crazy. My husband is s musician and has his own projects that he needs help with from time to time; so we have to work with and around each other. If I could choose, mornings are good. If I didn't have a day job, I would probably say nights;, but I can't do that and go to work the next day. Lol!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
You're welcome! Thank you for the questions! Yes, 'It' is an intense and scary ride for sure! I absolutely loved that book and they did a good job on the movie too. A lot of times, Stephen King's stories lose too much in the transition because he's so detailed. 'The Shining' had a huge influence on me. That book was creepy! The movie was really well done too. The Jack Nicholson version, the TV version was lame. Haha.

I write every chance I have! My schedule is pretty crazy. My husband is s musician and has his own projects that he needs help with from time to time; so we have to work with and around each other. If I could choose, mornings are good. If I didn't have a day job, I would probably say nights;, but I can't do that and go to work the next day. Lol!
It seems like a pretty hectic schedule! Glad you do find some time for writing, though. Thank you for sharing. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:

It seems like a pretty hectic schedule! Glad you do find some time for writing, though. Thank you for sharing. :)
You're welcome! Thanks for the questions!
GrandmaTamme
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GrandmaTamme »

What motivated you to become a writer in the first place?
Janetleighgreen

GrandmaTamme wrote:What motivated you to become a writer in the first place?
I love Stephen King and Dean Koontz and have always wanted to write scary stories like Stephen King. I've always loved scary movies too. I started watching old B horror movies alone when I was 10, how twisted is that? Lol!

I decided to jump right in and give it a shot and I'm learning along the way with the help of my friends here at onlinebooclub!

I'm getting great feedback from everyone!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Is this your first full novel? Have you written other works prior to this?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:Is this your first full novel? Have you written other works prior to this?
This is my first, warts and all! I always thought that I was going to have a career in music; and that was my major in college. I was even in a couple plays and operas. Haha.

The writing bug has always been nibbling away at my fingers though and I was just itching to tell stories. I never took a creative writing course which probably shows; I am learning as I go, which is more difficult.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:Is this your first full novel? Have you written other works prior to this?
This is my first, warts and all! I always thought that I was going to have a career in music; and that was my major in college. I was even in a couple plays and operas. Haha.

The writing bug has always been nibbling away at my fingers though and I was just itching to tell stories. I never took a creative writing course which probably shows; I am learning as I go, which is more difficult.
Oh wow! Your life definitely took a turn, then. :D

It is easy to see that you do have the creative bug (since this was a very unique story)!
Heidi

Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:

Oh wow! Your life definitely took a turn, then. :D

It is easy to see that you do have the creative bug (since this was a very unique story)!
Yes, my life is different than what I thought it would be; but in a lot of ways I'm more content with writing. I loved performing; but I will leave that to my husband! Lol!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

That's a good attitude! :)

I was also wondering what words of wisdom/advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Heidi

greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Have you been to New Orleans? I've never been there, but it's on a bucket list for me. Just wondering how connected the setting is going to be to the plot?
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:That's a good attitude! :)

I was also wondering what words of wisdom/advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Thank you!

Oh gosh, let's see, the first thing I would say to them is don't give up! Writing a novel is not easy, but it's rewarding. Figure out what kind of a writer you are early on; are you a plotter or a pantser? Plotters need outlines and planning while pantsers fly by the seat of their pants, hence pantser. Pantsers let the story guide them. If you know what you are you will be able to know what you need to do to stay on pace. My stories are pretty detailed because I move through time periods; and being a pantser, makes it more difficult to keep continuity straight. ?

-- 21 Oct 2016, 11:25 --

Also! Get a good editor! Ugh!

-- 21 Oct 2016, 11:27 --
greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Have you been to New Orleans? I've never been there, but it's on a bucket list for me. Just wondering how connected the setting is going to be to the plot?
No I haven't, but I am doing some research to make sure that I get the ambiance for you guys. Also, my editing team has been there and they are helping me get the right feel for you. These are new editors by the way! Lol!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:

Thank you!

Oh gosh, let's see, the first thing I would say to them is don't give up! Writing a novel is not easy, but it's rewarding. Figure out what kind of a writer you are early on; are you a plotter or a pantser? Plotters need outlines and planning while pantsers fly by the seat of their pants, hence pantser. Pantsers let the story guide them. If you know what you are you will be able to know what you need to do to stay on pace. My stories are pretty detailed because I move through time periods; and being a pantser, makes it more difficult to keep continuity straight. ?

Thank you for the advice!

I have another question :oops:

What do your family/friends think about the content of your book? I feel like if I wrote something like this, my parents would either bring to church or to a therapist. :lol2: :lol2: They are not into horror or creepiness. :lol:
Heidi

Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:

Thank you!

What do your family/friends think about the content of your book? I feel like if I wrote something like this, my parents would either bring to church or to a therapist. :lol2: :lol2: They are not into horror or creepiness. :lol:
Believe it or not, I am a Christian and so is my family. My Mom and I were just talking about this today; she hasn't read the book yet, I think she's torn. She wants the book; but I don't think she really wants to read it. She's still proud of me though; and we were talking about my obsession with all things horror just today and she said, "I used to get so mad at you for watching those horror movies when you were little!"

My friends already know I'm twisted so they weren't surprised at all. My husband said he would be worried if I DIDN'T write horror.

Ha! ?
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
Thank you!

Believe it or not, I am a Christian and so is my family. My Mom and I were just talking about this today; she hasn't read the book yet, I think she's torn. She wants the book; but I don't think she really wants to read it. She's still proud of me though; and we were talking about my obsession with all things horror just today and she said, "I used to get so mad at you for watching those horror movies when you were little!"

My friends already know I'm twisted so they weren't surprised at all. My husband said he would be worried if I DIDN'T write horror.

Ha! ?
Thank you for sharing. That's actually really interesting. I can understand about your mom about being torn in reading your book. My parents, growing up, were concerned about me reading Harry Potter because there are witches in the books. :lol: I can only imagine what they would think about something like this!

When you are reading, (aside from Horror) what is your favorite genre?
Heidi

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”