Questions for the Author

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Re: Questions for the Author

Post by Janetleighgreen »

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:
Thank you for the advice!

I have another question :oops:

What do your family/friends think about the content of your book? I feel like if I wrote something like this, my parents would either bring to church or to a therapist. :lol2: :lol2: They are not into horror or creepiness. :lol:
Believe it or not, I am a Christian and so is my family. My Mom and I were just talking about this today; she hasn't read the book yet, I think she's torn. She wants the book; but I don't think she really wants to read it. She's still proud of me though; and we were talking about my obsession with all things horror just today and she said, "I used to get so mad at you for watching those horror movies when you were little!"

My friends already know I'm twisted so they weren't surprised at all. My husband said he would be worried if I DIDN'T write horror.

Ha! ?
Thank you for sharing. That's actually really interesting. I can understand about your mom about being torn in reading your book. My parents, growing up, were concerned about me reading Harry Potter because there are witches in the books. :lol: I can only imagine what they would think about something like this!

When you are reading, (aside from Horror) what is your favorite genre?
I have a very eclectic taste in everything, books, movies, music. I really like SciFi and mysteries, which are along the same vein as horror, I guess. I love Erma Bombeck's, 'If Life Is A Bowl Of Cherries, What Am I doing In The Pits?' I also love biographies! My favorite biography is 'One More Time', by Carol Burnett; I read that one to my Grandmama, so it's special. My second favorite genre behind horror has to be romance novels though, I love those, especially if there's mystery and intrigue involved!
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

What's your favorite part in "unspeakable acts "?
Janetleighgreen

Ashley 1820 wrote:What's your favorite part in "unspeakable acts "?
What a great question! Wow, that's really tough for me because it's my baby and I love all of it. I think my favorite part, and the scenes that were the most fun to write were the passageway scenes.

I got goosebumps when Sheila saw Martha watching Asa and Mary through the hole in the passageway. It was a defining moment for Martha and her feelings for Asa; and that was when Mary's fate was sealed.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

Wonderful! Thanks for the answer... :)
Janetleighgreen

Ashley 1820 wrote:Wonderful! Thanks for the answer... :)
You're welcome! Thank you for the question!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote: When you are reading, (aside from Horror) what is your favorite genre?
I have a very eclectic taste in everything, books, movies, music. I really like SciFi and mysteries, which are along the same vein as horror, I guess. I love Erma Bombeck's, 'If Life Is A Bowl Of Cherries, What Am I doing In The Pits?' I also love biographies! My favorite biography is 'One More Time', by Carol Burnett; I read that one to my Grandmama, so it's special. My second favorite genre behind horror has to be romance novels though, I love those, especially if there's mystery and intrigue involved!
Nice! Romance is always a nice add-in to any novel. Thank you for your answer.

Going back to Unspeakable Acts :) , which character would you say you relate to most?
Also, which did you enjoy writing the most - the past or present?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote: When you are reading, (aside from Horror) what is your favorite genre?
Nice! Romance is always a nice add-in to any novel. Thank you for your answer.

Going back to Unspeakable Acts :) , which character would you say you relate to most?
Also, which did you enjoy writing the most - the past or present?
Charlie because she's most like me; she's her own person and I didn't model her after me really, but some things made their way in there, which is inevitable I think. I am really working on developing the characters more for you guys in the rewrite; Charlie has a fun personality and she's very upbeat and positive.

I enjoyed writing both past and present; the past was a little more difficult just because I didn't live then and had to research it. I think it was more fun because of that as well, so the past.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for sharing!

What would you say has been the spookiest moment you have ever experienced? (Movie, show, book, or real life)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Since you are going through another edit, are you planning on changing the cover? The thread about the cover is generally positive but if you are changing once thing I was wondering if you were reevaluating the rest.
Janetleighgreen

There are going to be subtle changes to the cover like Martha will have more opacity and the font for the blurb and my name will be more bold so it's easier to read. I also have some blurbs from the reviews here, approved by Scott, as well as blurbs from other authors to add to the cover and inner front page.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

how long does it take you to write a book? how many times do you go back and change stuff?
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Janetleighgreen

Well, it took about 4 months on Unspeakable Acts for this first draft; that is basically what is out there now. It was my first book; and obviously, I didn't go back and make changes as often as I should have. I trusted the editor I had and that was a mistake. The second book, Despicable Witch, is taking longer and I am learning as I go. Now, I go back and change things many times over to get it right. Unspeakable Acts is going through a rewrite and re-edit now and it is painstaking; but it will be well worth it and I hope you guys can see how good this book will be when it's done right!
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

What was the motivation behind this book.
Janetleighgreen

I’ve been interested in the supernatural since I was a kid. I started watching horror movies alone at age ten. It made sense in my head to go with the Horror/supernatural genre. I have had many experiences, so this story wasn’t a stretch for me.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”