Questions for the Author

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Questions for the Author

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Janetleighgreen wrote:Yes ma'am! I have seen several and so has my husband. There is one story in particular I will share, although I have many, Lol! I went to stay with my cousin in NE. They have an old farm house and I wasn't comfortable in the room she put me in to sleep. I told her that I wanted another room, but she insisted that I stay in that room. There was a closet with sliding doors just across from the bed. I made sure the doors were closed and went to sleep. At about 2 am, a noise woke me. When I opened my eyes, there was a lady wearing a headscarf staring at me from the closet. I got out of the bed, went to my cousin's bedroom, stood at the end of her bed and said, "Hey!" Loud enough to wake her up. She woke up, saw me stranding there and said, "Did you see the lady in the closest?" I was so pissed at her.

They later did research on the house and found out that a woman was abused by her husband, locked in a closet and died in the house. They walled off the closet and made the room into an office. They found the closet went all the way up to the second floor closet and the ghost just appeared to my cousin's daughters upstairs. I don't know if they ever got rid of her. It was creepy. ?
That was creepy! :shifty:
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Janetleighgreen wrote: The original house was huge back in the day, but all that was left were these rooms and some had been renovated for Charlie.
That might be I'm having trouble. I keep trying to place Charlie in a completely modern house while forgetting it should be similar to a much older floor plan
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

1) The cover. Why did you go for this design? Whoever it is, rocks!

2) Are you a member of the Horror Writer Assocation?

??
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

alwaysdaddygirl wrote:Aloha,

1) The cover. Why did you go for this design? Whoever it is, rocks!

2) Are you a member of the Horror Writer Assocation?

??
1) I liked the cover because the girl just looked ghostly to me. In the original pic her hair was brown, so had my team change it to blonde because I wanted her to be Martha.

2) No, but I am going to try and join soon.

:lire4:
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

SPOILERS!!! I was just wondering how Martha dies in the end? I know you said that she also dies in the house. If I understand correctly, Asa kills Amos, then Asa and Martha kill Mary and then Martha kills Asa. So how long did Martha continue to torture and kill people and how did she die?
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Janetleighgreen

Kia wrote:SPOILERS!!! I was just wondering how Martha dies in the end? I know you said that she also dies in the house. If I understand correctly, Asa kills Amos, then Asa and Martha kill Mary and then Martha kills Asa. So how long did Martha continue to torture and kill people and how did she die?
I tried to make it clear how obsessed she was with Asa and that she would do anything for him. I left her death to the imagination, but in my mind she would've been so crazed over killing Asa that she then kills herself. I've stated in previous posts that this book is going through a re-edit and some rewrites. I'm not changing the basic plot, but I am going to play with the ending. I will make Martha's demise more prominent. That was a bit of a misfire along with the alternate ending issue. First book...learning a lot! Thank for the question, I was wondering when someone would get to it.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Kia wrote:SPOILERS!!! I was just wondering how Martha dies in the end? I know you said that she also dies in the house. If I understand correctly, Asa kills Amos, then Asa and Martha kill Mary and then Martha kills Asa. So how long did Martha continue to torture and kill people and how did she die?
I tried to make it clear how obsessed she was with Asa and that she would do anything for him. I left her death to the imagination, but in my mind she would've been so crazed over killing Asa that she then kills herself. I've stated in previous posts that this book is going through a re-edit and some rewrites. I'm not changing the basic plot, but I am going to play with the ending. I will make Martha's demise more prominent. That was a bit of a misfire along with the alternate ending issue. First book...learning a lot! Thank for the question, I was wondering when someone would get to it.
Thank you! That was kind of what I was thinking, so thanks for getting back to me.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Janetleighgreen

Kia wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
Thank you! That was kind of what I was thinking, so thanks for getting back to me.
You are welcome! I am taking note of all comments and concerns so I can make this book the best that it can be. I feel blessed that I have this book club to help me do it, so thanks again!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
You are welcome! I am taking note of all comments and concerns so I can make this book the best that it can be. I feel blessed that I have this book club to help me do it, so thanks again!
That is so great to hear! :)

What/Who inspired you to become an author?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

I have a story on my blog called 'My First Book'; it's about the first book I ever read. When I was 7, I had a neighbor, an older woman who gave me a box of books to read. I devoured those books! I moved on to John Saul next, then I started watching those scary movies alone. Stephen King and Dean Koontz followed the movies, I think. I was fascinated with the way they told a story, mostly Stephen King. So, to answer your question, my desire was planted in those first books; but the need to really express myself through writing was influenced by Stephen King and later, Dean Koontz.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:I have a story on my blog called 'My First Book'; it's about the first book I ever read. When I was 7, I had a neighbor, an older woman who gave me a box of books to read. I devoured those books! I moved on to John Saul next, then I started watching those scary movies alone. Stephen King and Dean Koontz followed the movies, I think. I was fascinated with the way they told a story, mostly Stephen King. So, to answer your question, my desire was planted in those first books; but the need to really express myself through writing was influenced by Stephen King and later, Dean Koontz.
I think it's wonderful that you started to love reading at such a young age. Who knew that a simple kind gesture (giving a box of books) would eventually lead you to become an author? I can definitely see you enjoying Stephen King. I tried reading and watching the movie, It once. I was too chicken to get too far! :lol:

Thank you for sharing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:I have a story on my blog called 'My First Book'; it's about the first book I ever read. When I was 7, I had a neighbor, an older woman who gave me a box of books to read. I devoured those books! I moved on to John Saul next, then I started watching those scary movies alone. Stephen King and Dean Koontz followed the movies, I think. I was fascinated with the way they told a story, mostly Stephen King. So, to answer your question, my desire was planted in those first books; but the need to really express myself through writing was influenced by Stephen King and later, Dean Koontz.
I think it's wonderful that you started to love reading at such a young age. Who knew that a simple kind gesture (giving a box of books) would eventually lead you to become an author? I can definitely see you enjoying Stephen King. I tried reading and watching the movie, It once. I was too chicken to get too far! :lol:

Thank you for sharing!
You're welcome! Thank you for the questions! Yes, 'It' is an intense and scary ride for sure! I absolutely loved that book and they did a good job on the movie too. A lot of times, Stephen King's stories lose too much in the transition because he's so detailed. 'The Shining' had a huge influence on me. That book was creepy! The movie was really well done too. The Jack Nicholson version, the TV version was lame. Haha.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

How many hours a day did you spend writing? Did you ever pull any all nighters to get all your ideas down or did you just write the ideas in jot note form on another piece of paper?
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Janetleighgreen

Jjnessie 33 wrote:How many hours a day did you spend writing? Did you ever pull any all nighters to get all your ideas down or did you just write the ideas in jot note form on another piece of paper?
The most time I spent writing was on weekends. I could spend all day writing sometimes. I have a day job, so it'd hard to pull all nighters and still go to work. Ha. I didn't have to write down ideas, I am a freestyle writer or I what you call a pantser vs a plotter. I just sit down and start writing and the story flows out of me.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:

Thank you for sharing!
You're welcome! Thank you for the questions! Yes, 'It' is an intense and scary ride for sure! I absolutely loved that book and they did a good job on the movie too. A lot of times, Stephen King's stories lose too much in the transition because he's so detailed. 'The Shining' had a huge influence on me. That book was creepy! The movie was really well done too. The Jack Nicholson version, the TV version was lame. Haha.
Ha, I didn't even realize that there was a TV version!

When is your favorite time of day to write?
Heidi

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”