Who was your favourite character and why?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Samira18
Favorite Author: Linda Lafferty
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Grey
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O
fav_author_id: 8367

Who was your favourite character and why?

Post by Samira18 »

:D
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tough question. My favorite character was Charlie. I loved her courage and the way she dealt with her issues. As mentioned in my review I loved that she wasn't the whining type, but still allowed herself to be treated like a damsel.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

gali wrote:A tough question. My favorite character was Charlie. I loved her courage and the way she dealt with her issues. As mentioned in my review I loved that she wasn't the whining type, but still allowed herself to be treated like a damsel.

:ditto:

I also liked Sheila...why? She is a psychic and she handles it spectacularly. Her role in helping Charlie reclaim her house, and finding out why she was being targeted was flawless, and well whether one believes in that sort of thing or not, in my opinion, it was very believable. She was strong willed, and didn't back down from a fight.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I liked Charlie for the same reasons mentioned above. She was so strong!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I really liked Sheila. She had so much courage in how she handled her gift from when she was just a child. She watched her uncle die in her vision, the one person she could truly count on, and then realized that he really had passed. She seemed to bare with things so well as they came to her, both her visions as well as the cruelty of her mother. She grew up wanting to help people and to embrace the gift she had been given. I thought she was great!
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Great answers so far!

My favorite character was Asa. That's not that I would like him as real person so much (on account of all the torture and murder). Rather it's from an artistic view. I don't like simplistic 'bad guys' in stories, or simplistic 'good guys' for that matter. I love the Darth Vader types and the anti-heroes.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

Scott wrote:Great answers so far!

My favorite character was Asa. That's not that I would like him as real person so much (on account of all the torture and murder). Rather it's from an artistic view. I don't like simplistic 'bad guys' in stories, or simplistic 'good guys' for that matter. I love the Darth Vader types and the anti-heroes.
I feel you there. Honestly, I love Loki in every movie he is in. Sometimes the stories and back stories of the villains or antagonists are so much more entertaining than the main part of the stories. Give me Loki over Thor please!
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I liked Jay. At first, I pictured him out as a real scumbag because of what he did to Charlie. However, when I heard his side of the story, I've grown to like his sincerity and honesty. He admitted his flaws (like being narcissistic at times) and tried to change for the better. That's just adorable.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

ellieonline03 wrote:I liked Jay. At first, I pictured him out as a real scumbag because of what he did to Charlie. However, when I heard his side of the story, I've grown to like his sincerity and honesty. He admitted his flaws (like being narcissistic at times) and tried to change for the better. That's just adorable.
He was a victim too, Amos took him over and that's why he was abusive to Charlie. The fact that he's another psychic doesn't hurt either. You'll see him again in Book-2.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

Scott wrote:My favorite character was Asa. That's not that I would like him as real person so much (on account of all the torture and murder). Rather it's from an artistic view. I don't like simplistic 'bad guys' in stories, or simplistic 'good guys' for that matter. I love the Darth Vader types and the anti-heroes.
I agree. He was my favorite, because I felt like he was the character who had the best character development. On one hand, he fell in love with a girl when he was younger and because of their commonalities, he would stick with her through anything. But then you find out that he also could love with tenderness and compassion. While he felt the urges before he met Martha, he might never have done anything about it. It was only out of the blindness of love that he went through with it. If he had met Mary before he met Martha, I think that things for him would have gone a lot differently.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

I also have to agree that my favourite character was Asa. He was probably the most complicated character in the novel, and so is the most interesting.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I agree with you and others here. Asa was my favorite character. He was complicated and even though he did unspeakable things, as a reader, I could still tell he struggled with these acts and being with Martha after meeting Mary. The biggest clue is at the end when Asa smiled at Charlie for helping all the ghosts to finally move on once and for all by getting rid of the one thing that kept everyone lingering - Martha.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

hsimone wrote:

I agree with you and others here. Asa was my favorite character. He was complicated and even though he did unspeakable things, as a reader, I could still tell he struggled with these acts and being with Martha after meeting Mary. The biggest clue is at the end when Asa smiled at Charlie for helping all the ghosts to finally move on once and for all by getting rid of the one thing that kept everyone lingering - Martha.
I love to hear you guys talk about my book! You get me! You really get me! Haha!
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Mary was the best character. A bit more innocent and just trying to move on.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mine is Mary. She's not actually my favorite but she had my sympathy. I really felt sorry for her.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”