Unspeakable Acts-- What do you like most and like least?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Re: Unspeakable Acts-- What do you like most and like least?

Post by Janetleighgreen »

lane_vespertine wrote:I know that the author reads these posts, and so I am very hesitant to say anything bad here. But there is something in this book that irked me enough that I'm doing it anyway.
The ghost is a rapist.
The raped women 'like' it.
The only one who is properly motivated by this rape is a man (e.g. Doug, pg 75).
Rape has been used in books and movies far too often as exclusively a motivation for male characters.
This bothers me, especially once I put words to the problem.
Not sure if I can like this book.
Sorry.
I appreciate any and all comments, I don't think of your feedback as negative. I knew going into this that I wasn't going to please everyone with this book. I have a very tough skin. :) Yes, Asa was a very bad man in life and as a ghost he was still terrible. He was married to the antagonist, Martha in life and they did very bad things together. The book is definitely not for everyone. There is something to be learned from all opinions and I thank you for yours.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I had to DNF this book as I just couldn't get into it. The characters seemed like they were all just thrown together to solve this problem without any backstory as to who they are. To be fair, maybe it goes into more of their background later in the book, but I couldn't connect to any of them when I didn't know anything about them.
Janetleighgreen

ashley_claire wrote:I had to DNF this book as I just couldn't get into it. The characters seemed like they were all just thrown together to solve this problem without any backstory as to who they are. To be fair, maybe it goes into more of their background later in the book, but I couldn't connect to any of them when I didn't know anything about them.
I'm sorry you didn't like the book. Thank you for giving it a shot though.
AlyssaC
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssac.html

Post by AlyssaC »

In general I liked the characters and felt they were well developed and I would read more stories with these characters. The story line had some inconsistencies and the aspect of time passing did not seem to fit with the story. I also found in some parts things were "over explained" I did not need to know each time they got it to Scott's car it was because it was big enough for them all. The information was provided when Doug's call was mentioned and then when Scott drove an SUV- after that it did not need the detail.
Janetleighgreen

AlyssaC wrote:In general I liked the characters and felt they were well developed and I would read more stories with these characters. The story line had some inconsistencies and the aspect of time passing did not seem to fit with the story. I also found in some parts things were "over explained" I did not need to know each time they got it to Scott's car it was because it was big enough for them all. The information was provided when Doug's call was mentioned and then when Scott drove an SUV- after that it did not need the detail.
Thank you very much for the feedback! I am soaking in all of the information I get from all of you. I love to hear your thoughts. I'm glad you like the characters because they are coming back in Book-2!
sfanntastic
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by sfanntastic »

I love this book. I got into it so much that I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to finish the book. I like the paranormal story line, and I don't see this much tied in with romance very much. These are very well developed characters who are easy to like. There were some basically insignificant parts of the book that were dwelt on too long, and I think Doug and Charlie fell in love a little too quick, but I know that was done for the story line. Overall, though this is a great book. I would definitely read more. :tiphat:
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

sfanntastic wrote:I love this book. I got into it so much that I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to finish the book. I like the paranormal story line, and I don't see this much tied in with romance very much. These are very well developed characters who are easy to like. There were some basically insignificant parts of the book that were dwelt on too long, and I think Doug and Charlie fell in love a little too quick, but I know that was done for the story line. Overall, though this is a great book. I would definitely read more. :tiphat:
Same here! One day I started reading on my lunch break and before I knew it, I had been gone wayy longer than I had meant to!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Janetleighgreen

klbradley wrote:
sfanntastic wrote:I love this book. I got into it so much that I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to finish the book. I like the paranormal story line, and I don't see this much tied in with romance very much. These are very well developed characters who are easy to like. There were some basically insignificant parts of the book that were dwelt on too long, and I think Doug and Charlie fell in love a little too quick, but I know that was done for the story line. Overall, though this is a great book. I would definitely read more. :tiphat:
Same here! One day I started reading on my lunch break and before I knew it, I had been gone wayy longer than I had meant to!
I'm so happy you liked the book! I hope you like the coming books as much or more! I did get Charlie and Doug together pretty quickly, but they just felt like the kind of people who would jump right in to me, so I let them. Lol!

Keep reading and tell all your friends! Haha!
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

lane_vespertine wrote:I know that the author reads these posts, and so I am very hesitant to say anything bad here. But there is something in this book that irked me enough that I'm doing it anyway.
The ghost is a rapist.
The only one who is properly motivated by this rape is a man (e.g. Doug, pg 75).
Rape has been used in books and movies far too often as exclusively a motivation for male characters.
Sorry.
I'm afraid I can't agree with you here. We are talking about a work of fiction, and of horror fiction at that. The rapes are essential to the plot, not gratuitous. And by a ghost. There are other rapes in the book not to mention murders, and they are all essential to the plot. And Charlie is a strong woman who is in fact repulsed by the rapes except when in the presence of the ghost when her senses are influenced by the Supernatural. You refer to Doug as the only character motivated "properly" by the rapes. Yet so far as I can tell Charlie and the Investigators put their all into the investigation. I'm not sure how more motivated they could have been,

I'm also not too sure what you require when you say that rape is used too often as a motivation for male characters. Do you mean that fiction should pretend that rape does not exist and not include it at all? Should it be used as a motivation for female or trans-gender characters? If you are saying rape is used inappropriately in some other books and movies that does not seem to be the case here.

I appreciate that it makes you feel uncomfortable. Sometimes reading about certain topics can be confronting. I am not trying to offend you and respect your point of view. It's just that I don't really understand your criticism here and would like to.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Janetleighgreen

DB44 wrote:
The ghost is a rapist.
Sorry.
I'm afraid I can't agree with you here. We are talking about a work of fiction, and of horror fiction at that. The rapes are essential to the plot, not gratuitous. And by a ghost. There are other rapes in the book not to mention murders, and they are all essential to the plot. And Charlie is a strong woman who is in fact repulsed by the rapes except when in the presence of the ghost when her senses are influenced by the Supernatural. You refer to Doug as the only character motivated "properly" by the rapes. Yet so far as I can tell Charlie and the Investigators put their all into the investigation. I'm not sure how more motivated they could have been,

I'm also not too sure what you require when you say that rape is used too often as a motivation for male characters. Do you mean that fiction should pretend that rape does not exist and not include it at all? Should it be used as a motivation for female or trans-gender characters? If you are saying rape is used inappropriately in some other books and movies that does not seem to be the case here.

I appreciate that it makes you feel uncomfortable. Sometimes reading about certain topics can be confronting. I am not trying to offend you and respect your point of view. It's just that I don't really understand your criticism here and would like to.
Well said! Thank you. :tiphat:
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

klbradley wrote:I reviewed this book recently, and I was so happy with how the story turned out. I enjoyed reading the part of the story about the history of what had happened in the home the most. I partially agree with the post above, in that I was not a fan of how quickly the relationship moved along with Charlie and Doug, but it did add a little something extra to the story.
I also am not a fan of insta-love. I enjoy reading about the trip of falling in love. Hopeless romantic here. :wink:
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Janetleighgreen

mommyreadsbooks wrote:
klbradley wrote:I reviewed this book recently, and I was so happy with how the story turned out. I enjoyed reading the part of the story about the history of what had happened in the home the most. I partially agree with the post above, in that I was not a fan of how quickly the relationship moved along with Charlie and Doug, but it did add a little something extra to the story.
I also am not a fan of insta-love. I enjoy reading about the trip of falling in love. Hopeless romantic here. :wink:
I felt that Doug and Charlie were just those kinds of people. They would just jump in feet first! My husband and I had a quick courtship, so I believe you just know. ??
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

The ghost is a rapist.
Sorry.
I liked the book but I do agree on some of your points. The ghost is a rapist (and twisted) and the raped women 'liked' it. I understand that the women were just taken over by the ghost but it's still disturbing. Charlie and Doug's relationship also progressed too quickly. I mean, even if we say it's love at first sight, does it really happen that fast? Don't you usually keep your distance first (especially in Charlie's case, since she had a painful experience with her ex)? I think the alternate ending was also better. It was more exciting than the first.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

If you like your ghosts stories you'll totally dig this one. At times it may seem predictable but in general it is a real good reading. The plot really sucks you in and the characters are interesting.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I thought the work was original, clever, and though twisted at times, it was something that was hard to put down. :)

The only part that I took "issue" with is the editing and at times the one-dimensional characters. However, the author has stated that she is working on a rewrite that will better these two areas, so I am not overly concerned.

I almost forgot that I felt really bad about Beth, the librarian, getting murdered, and how it didn't seem to affect many of the characters. I would have thought that the brothers would have been more bothered by it, but I guess they had bigger things on their minds.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”