Unspeakable Acts-- What do you like most and like least?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Re: Unspeakable Acts-- What do you like most and like least?

Post by Janetleighgreen »

hsimone wrote:I thought the work was original, clever, and though twisted at times, it was something that was hard to put down. :)

The only part that I took "issue" with is the editing and at times the one-dimensional characters. However, the author has stated that she is working on a rewrite that will better these two areas, so I am not overly concerned.

I almost forgot that I felt really bad about Beth, the librarian, getting murdered, and how it didn't seem to affect many of the characters. I would have thought that the brothers would have been more bothered by it, but I guess they had bigger things on their minds.
Thank you for mentioning the rewrite again! I want people to know I'm listening! Lol!

Hum, poor Beth. Yes, they did like Beth and she did call Doug, Douggie. They were knee deep in Martha poop and wanted to figure that all out; so I guess they were distracted. I will look that over in the rewrite and see if I can find some compassion. ☺
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

The heavy sexual content bothered me. I think the plot went in interesting directions, but I was disappointed that so much of the sexual content was explicit, and it is not personal preference to read a book where someone gets their jollies by hurting people.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I do not read many ghost stories because they are usually just too far-fetched. This book did not do anything to change my mind about that. Without the rape scenes, this book was practically "Ghostbusters." I also did not like the poor editing, especially considering I had to pay for the book on Amazon. The one thing I did like about the book was that the ghost characters were well-developed. I thought the author could have done a better job developing the living characters and perhaps giving them more intriguing back-stories. Also, the relationship between Charlie and Doug seemed unnecessary. Overall, I think this book could have used more work.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:I thought the work was original, clever, and though twisted at times, it was something that was hard to put down. :)

The only part that I took "issue" with is the editing and at times the one-dimensional characters. However, the author has stated that she is working on a rewrite that will better these two areas, so I am not overly concerned.

I almost forgot that I felt really bad about Beth, the librarian, getting murdered, and how it didn't seem to affect many of the characters. I would have thought that the brothers would have been more bothered by it, but I guess they had bigger things on their minds.
Thank you for mentioning the rewrite again! I want people to know I'm listening! Lol!

Hum, poor Beth. Yes, they did like Beth and she did call Doug, Douggie. They were knee deep in Martha poop and wanted to figure that all out; so I guess they were distracted. I will look that over in the rewrite and see if I can find some compassion. ☺
No worries. I just felt bad for Beth.

I also really liked the glimpses into the past. It had the right amount for spookiness and intrigue that I wanted more!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:

I also really liked the glimpses into the past. It had the right amount for spookiness and intrigue that I wanted more!
Well, you will happy to know that Douggie and Scottie show a little more grief in the rewrite over Beth's death . I didn't go overboard with it, but you should get a feel of more compassion from the boys.

-- 20 Oct 2016, 18:30 --

??
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:

Well, you will happy to know that Douggie and Scottie show a little more grief in the rewrite over Beth's death . I didn't go overboard with it, but you should get a feel of more compassion from the boys.

??
That's very nice of you to consider my thought on this. Thank you. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen

hsimone wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
hsimone wrote:

??
That's very nice of you to consider my thought on this. Thank you. :)
You are welcome. It needed to be done.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

queeennnkatie wrote: 01 Oct 2016, 18:08 I really liked the characters and the whole paranormal jig. I love books like that so it caught my interest well. In the beginning, I was a little meh about the whole 'sex with a ghost' portion of the book, but as the book progressed, I could see how it tied into that part. I didn't like how the author used their words. Just the way they wrote, made me feel kinda iffy about it and it sounded a bit amateur. Another thing I didn't like was the love plot between Charlie and Doug. It moved a bit fast and I thin the author could have stretched out their love a bit more. It was like they saw each other and bang they fell in love. It was kinda cringy the way they talked to each other too.
Interesting,
Nice comment.

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”