What's your go-to genre?

For September 2016, it is free choice!
shaiwest
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaiwest.html

Re: What's your go-to genre?

Post by shaiwest »

If the library has nothing on my "to read" list, I will wander over to science fiction aisle. I shy away from the dystopian stuff in favor of things that forsee a future where we have solved some technological and social problems but new challenges arise
graciemaryee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by graciemaryee »

Science fiction! I love how it is unique, complex, and creative, kind of like fantasy, but almost feels like one day it could be real as science and technology continue to advance. It pushes the boundaries of our expectations for the future.
MaryHazelUpton
Currently Reading: The Botanical World
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryhazelupton.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good

Post by MaryHazelUpton »

I read a little of everything, both fiction and nonfiction. My favorite genres, though, are horror, science fiction, and old-fashioned Gothic romance. I especially like Stephen King, Shirley Jackson, and J.G. Ballard. I also like Brian Aldiss. I read one of his books on my cell phone a few months ago called Hothouse that was really good. This book is set in the very far future, unspecified millions of years in the future, where people have become primitive tribes, and plants have taken over as the dominant species. He goes into great and interesting detail about this extremely dangerous world.
I also like H.P. Lovecraft. I think I've read all of his stories. Colour Out Of Space is one of his best. Very creepy. William Hope Hodgson is also very good, especially The House On The Borderland. His fiction is similar to H.P. Lovecraft's work. William Hope Hodgson's story, The NIghtland, is also very good, but I like The House On The Borderland the best.
I also like the old-fashioned Gothic romances, the kind that used to be published as paperbacks with the covers that showed the heroine standing in front of the spooky old mansion. Most of them were short novels that could be quickly read. The heroine was always either a governess, or occasionally a new bride. She is always young and innocent and is rescued from the villain by the hero. This genre is actually a cross between mystery and romance. True Gothic romance stories are hard to find now, except in used bookstores. The modern stories are not really true Gothic romance, but romantic suspense, and usually fail to follow the strict genre rules of the Gothic romance. I don't really like romantic suspense because I don't like authors to break established genre rules. I read genre books as escape fiction, and want them to follow the rules and give me the story I expect.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I tend to gravitate towards the Romance Genre.
Lnfrazier15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lnfrazier15.html

Post by Lnfrazier15 »

I love an action-packed book with some romance, but nothing cliché. Sometimes its a cross between thriller and romance, and other times its a horror story or sci-fi fantasy.
coffee_and_books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coffee-and-books.html

Post by coffee_and_books »

I usually fall back on YA fiction, however I also love fantasy and horror.
Marissa_P
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-p.html

Post by Marissa_P »

My go-to genre is definitely fantasy! Anything with courts and crowns, dragons, kick-butt heroes and heroines are my favorite. Things like A Game of Thrones and Throne of Glass. My most recent read reflects that love pretty well. I just finished And I Darken by Kiersten White and WOW it was incredible. I highly recommend it if you love fantasy!! It's a gender bent retelling of Vlad the Impaler. So cool!
gracemeghan

Post by gracemeghan »

My go to genre is currently either mystery or romance. I like mystery because it's almost always interesting even if it's a new author. I like romance for the same reason.
MTroyer+13
Currently Reading: Merry Witchmas: A Wicked Witches of the Midwest Short
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by MTroyer+13 »

Cozy Mysteries. I have been reading Leighann Dobbs. Her books keep me interested for hours. Also, her Magic Notch Series is really and interesting series to be reading. The other author I am currently reading is Lyla Payne, I am currently waiting for her next novel in her Lowcountry Mystery Series to come out.
WonderDame
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonderdame.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by WonderDame »

My go to is usually Young Adult/Fantasy!! I just love love love magic and worlds where the characters are a little extraordinary.
HelloMaggie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellomaggie.html

Post by HelloMaggie »

WonderDame wrote:My go to is usually Young Adult/Fantasy!! I just love love love magic and worlds where the characters are a little extraordinary.
Right? People always think I'm "well-read" because they've seen me with my nose in one book or another, and I'm like ".. do I reveal that this is about witches?"
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

It's usually Mystery/Suspense for me. I simply prefer stories that are grounded, offer thrill and get my brain juices working. For some reason, I can't bring myself to read others like Sci-Fi and Fantasy. That's just my preference though.
susana_bowers

Post by susana_bowers »

Historical fiction with a little bit of romance or mystery weaved in excites me. I never liked history much, until I found this genre! Ohh happy day!!! :D
ElyJayne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elyjayne.html

Post by ElyJayne »

I read almost anything, so my favourite genres change a lot. Right now, it's historical fiction, but last month it was classics!
angstrom16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angstrom16.html

Post by angstrom16 »

I usually go for romance that takes place in historical times. It is easy for me to get immersed in these books.

Return to “September 2016 Genre Discussion”