A Spiritual Dog: Bear

Discuss the September 2016 Book of the Month, A Spiritual Dog: Bear by J. Wesley Porter.
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

A Spiritual Dog: Bear

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

I just completed this book on my kindle. I saw it was listed a children's book. I really don't feel as if this would be a book a lot of kids would want to rush to read. I love dogs and I have a dog whom I call my first born, her name is Maggie.

I did really enjoyed the pictures of the family and of the dog. It added a personal touch to it. It was nice to look at the dog and see who the author was talking about.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree. I love dogs and have a dog which was adopted from a local animal shelter, so was interested in the book. However, the book fell short of my expectations. I liked it overall, but found the language a bit dry and flat. It was a quick read, but not something which would appeal to many kids mainly because of its language and theme. I have read plenty of kids' books about dogs which were better suited to kids. It is a lovely memento of the dog though, and the lovely pictures sure added to the touching story.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

I had a similar feeling about the book. As I read it I got the feeling this was a story mostly written for the author's family as a remembrance of their beloved pet. The quickly drawn illustrations and need for editing reinforce this perception.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Eatsleaves wrote:I had a similar feeling about the book. As I read it I got the feeling this was a story mostly written for the author's family as a remembrance of their beloved pet. The quickly drawn illustrations and need for editing reinforce this perception.
I totally agree. I felt like the author wrote the book as a loving tribute to the family's dog. I did like the hand-drawn illustrations since they added a whimsical touch, but the book certainly could have used a good editing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:I agree. I love dogs and have a dog which was adopted from a local animal shelter, so was interested in the book. However, the book fell short of my expectations. I liked it overall, but found the language a bit dry and flat. It was a quick read, but not something which would appeal to many kids mainly because of its language and theme. I have read plenty of kids' books about dogs which were better suited to kids. It is a lovely memento of the dog though, and the lovely pictures sure added to the touching story.
I agree wholeheartedly. I love dogs and adopted one, as well. Going into the book, I definitely was expecting more as well. However, this book seems more for the family to remember their loving dog.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I agree. I think that the concept behind the book is interesting. However, I didn't really like the way it was written. I don't feel like the style of writing was great for kids. I think it was a little boring for young children. I did like the pictures, and I liked that it was a true story. I thought about my nieces while reading this, though, and I don't think I would be able to keep them interested while reading this.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

I also felt like this book served its purpose in helping to heal a grieving family. I don't know how much it will really appeal to other children though.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Same here. I love dogs and was expecting something a bit more.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
t-michelle
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-michelle.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by t-michelle »

This does not sound like a book I want to get for my children. Everyone seems disappointed.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

I don't feel this is a book that every child would enjoy becuase it depicted the dog's death too descriptively. But in a way I get it was a form of grieving for the family.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Yeah I'm not a big fan of reading books with pictures but in this case I will have to agree with you on this.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I think the author sincerely wrote his true portrayal of what an important part of his life his dog was. However, it was not a very interesting book to read.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

I feel like if you're writing about the death of a pet to smaller children, you have to be careful, while if you're targeting an older audience, obviously that's less important. A good idea for a book, but not totally well executed. I agree that it was likely wrote for the author's family, for which I hope it served its purpose.
littlefrog
Currently Reading: Get on Board Little Children
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlefrog.html
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by littlefrog »

I am a total dog lover...have three...always have always will. I think that I will avoid this book, as I am one that can't stand if anything happens to the dog. I read Marley and Me and was absolutely forbidden to read it in bed, because I would laugh out loud and wake my husband up, however Marley and Me was the first book I did not finish and I knew what was coming, I closed the book and didn't finish it. Left it on a high note. Also wouldn't watch the movie.

It is important to have books for children that addresses life's issues, but it really needs to be geared toward their level of thinking. It doesn't teach them anything if they can't understand. Hopefully this created closure for the author.
Latest Review: "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I love dogs, fussy about them but the story is ill-developed and there wasn't much background. It's hard to loose a pet who's stuck by yourself through straight and curved and at least that I can relate to.

Return to “"A Spiritual Dog: Bear" by J. Wesley Porter”