I was on this secret spy mission when I stumbled across this subversive web site

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Pedantic
Bookshelf Size: 0

I was on this secret spy mission when I stumbled across this subversive web site

Post by Pedantic »

Okay, okay, so I'm having a little fun with the subject line. Sorry. I get these childish impulses every once in a while and if I don't indulge them then my life becomes dull normal. HI! My name is John Albert Michael Darnell (middle names are important--you'll find out why a bit later) and I am a new member of the OnlineBookClub. I'm 65 years old, retired, and a gabber. Usually I can channel my need to tell whoppers into the books I write (I have five on Amazon under the pen name [here it comes!] Albert Michaels). I have held amateur job positions as editor, editor-in-chief and book reviewer. I learned to write through the tried and true method of sitting down and doing it, and doing it, and doing it until I had something that could be considered halfway decent. This year I decided that it was time to spend some time learning how to market my wares, thus the search around the Net for such subversive places as OBC. I am usually a positive individual who prefers gentle discussion to screaming, red-faced, show your tonsils encounters. I am a good writer but I am also a very good editor, usually able to help the writer get the best writing out of her pen as is possible. I am also humble ( :lol2: ) . I am also (and this is a true statement) friendly. Never be afraid to approach me with a question. If asked kindly and respectfully, I will respond. Otherwise I will probably just change the subject. I love SF, fantasy and techno-thrillers. I prefer good complex stories to simple stories that take little to no thought or imagination. I'm a teetotaler and a Christian, the former not by choice (I have a medical condition) and the latter joyously by choice, but by the same token I thoroughly enjoy respectfully talking to persons of other faiths about their religions. I mention this because though I do not write "preachy" novels I do write novels where my characters usually express themselves spiritually.
Anyway, I'm the third son of a family of eight children (seven boys ad one girl). I live with my mother in Austin, Texas and I am learning how to let people help me, despite the rather large male ego I have (I broke my neck last July and since then I have been banned from lifting anything heavier than ten pounds--the apartment complex where I live has several dozen women who have decided that they are going to supervise me in the absence of my mother--so I have several dozen mothers who make sure I do not lift anything heavier than ten pounds). Well, the best way to get to know me is to read my submissions to these forums (fora?) which I expect will be plentiful. I'm looking forward to getting to know this community. Please be patient with me as I learn the norms and mores of the group. Take care, all. Until next time! John
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice introduction!

Please read this thread: Links and Info for New Members. :text-welcomewave:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Welcome to the forums! :reading-4:

Enjoy your time on the site! :library: :snowing-smiley:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Pedantic wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 00:16 Okay, okay, so I'm having a little fun with the subject line. Sorry. I get these childish impulses every once in a while and if I don't indulge them then my life becomes dull normal. HI! My name is John Albert Michael Darnell (middle names are important--you'll find out why a bit later) and I am a new member of the OnlineBookClub. I'm 65 years old, retired, and a gabber. Usually I can channel my need to tell whoppers into the books I write (I have five on Amazon under the pen name [here it comes!] Albert Michaels). I have held amateur job positions as editor, editor-in-chief and book reviewer. I learned to write through the tried and true method of sitting down and doing it, and doing it, and doing it until I had something that could be considered halfway decent. This year I decided that it was time to spend some time learning how to market my wares, thus the search around the Net for such subversive places as OBC. I am usually a positive individual who prefers gentle discussion to screaming, red-faced, show your tonsils encounters. I am a good writer but I am also a very good editor, usually able to help the writer get the best writing out of her pen as is possible. I am also humble ( :lol2: ) . I am also (and this is a true statement) friendly. Never be afraid to approach me with a question. If asked kindly and respectfully, I will respond. Otherwise I will probably just change the subject. I love SF, fantasy and techno-thrillers. I prefer good complex stories to simple stories that take little to no thought or imagination. I'm a teetotaler and a Christian, the former not by choice (I have a medical condition) and the latter joyously by choice, but by the same token I thoroughly enjoy respectfully talking to persons of other faiths about their religions. I mention this because though I do not write "preachy" novels I do write novels where my characters usually express themselves spiritually.
Anyway, I'm the third son of a family of eight children (seven boys ad one girl). I live with my mother in Austin, Texas and I am learning how to let people help me, despite the rather large male ego I have (I broke my neck last July and since then I have been banned from lifting anything heavier than ten pounds--the apartment complex where I live has several dozen women who have decided that they are going to supervise me in the absence of my mother--so I have several dozen mothers who make sure I do not lift anything heavier than ten pounds). Well, the best way to get to know me is to read my submissions to these forums (fora?) which I expect will be plentiful. I'm looking forward to getting to know this community. Please be patient with me as I learn the norms and mores of the group. Take care, all. Until next time! John
Hi, Albert.

Thank you for sharing your quirky yet interesting story.

This is a site for bibliophiles, so you are in the right place if books make your day or you'd like to make someone else's day better. If you'd check out the helpful information that Gali gave, you'd be off to a good start here.

Welcome to the club! All the best. :tiphat:
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Introductions”