Taliesin's Dust

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Abracadabra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Taliesin's Dust

Post by Abracadabra »

Hello, my name's James, I'm not an avid book reader in the general sense, in fact, I confess that I would much prefer watching a movie if I can find a good one. But I do enjoy fantasy and human interest stories. I also enjoy writing poetry (more so than reading it), and songwriting.

So I guess it might be best to say that I'm more interested in writing than in reading.

I have an interest in fairy lore and various pagan spiritual folklore. I recently wrote an instrumental piece called "Taliesin's Dust". No lyrics for that one. But I do write lyrical songs as well. I write about, and have created, an entire paradigm of spiritual figures, based mostly on Celtic, Welsh, and sometimes ancient Greek archetypes of Gods, Goddesses, Angels, and Faeries, etc.

I don't think of any of my writings as "religious" but they certainly contain "spiritual" concepts, magick, ethical, and humanitarian issues. I have never published anything, nor have I ever tried to do so. But that may change though.

I also have an interest in painting, especially faeries and fantasy scenes related to the mystical paradigm that is the focal point of all my work.

On these forums I'll probably be posting mostly in the poetry and music section. I have almost no interest in standard novels. Some stories I have enjoyed are things like The Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, Tales of Camelot, A Beautiful Mind, and other fantasy and human interest type of stories. Mostly I watch those in movie form rather than reading them from books though.

So I guess I enjoy the stories, but not so much reading. :D

I do have an immense library of book in my home. Although none of them are fiction books. Most are on science and mathematics. The closest I come to reading fiction is when I read books on various scientific theories that are so speculative that they can indeed be considered to be fiction at this point in time.

I do enjoy science fiction stories too, and I have always been a Star Trek fan, as well as a Doctor Who fan. But again, I prefer to actually watch those as movies rather than reading them in books. Oh yeah, I do read a lot of books on witchcraft, magick, and Eastern Mystical philosophies. To me these aren't exactly "fiction", they are more of a historical account of how humanity has imagined spirituality to be. So they represent the psyche of humanity in a spiritual and historical sense albeit often conveyed in a spirit of fantasy parables.

So anyway, that's the gist of my interests in books and writing.

So hello to fellow writers and story lovers.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Hi and a big welcome to the forums :D
You only live once.....so live!
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Hey James, I'm Jacob.
A nice introduction you've put,
Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay. :D
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Hello James & welcome
As you are interested in folklore you might like to check out the one and only Eddie Lehihan ... You'll get him on YouTube telling some of his folklore tales.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Aileenhu
Currently Reading: Daisy Chain War

Post by Aileenhu »

Welcome to these forums!

(I like your avatar)
:D Enjoy your day~
Abracadabra

Post by Abracadabra »

Thank you all for the welcome.

My avatar is actually a picture from the cover of a fantasy novel called Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb. This is the second book of a trilogy called The Farseer. I haven't read the story myself but I hear it's supposed to be pretty good. I might get around to reading it someday.

The first book of the trilogy is called Assassin's Apprentice, the third book is entitled Assassin's Quest. I have no clue what the story is about or whether I would even enjoy reading it. It seems to be obsessed with assassination, and that doesn't sound very inviting to me. (ha ha)

Reviews for this trilogy are mixed and it seems that people either love it or hate it. I might pick up the first book of the series from a library and see which group I fall into.

Return to “Introductions”