Hello from Colorado!

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Hello from Colorado!

Post by NL Hartje »

Hey, book club buddies!

I'm Nicole - I don't feel like I've compromised my identity or security by putting my actual first name out there so feel free to call me Nicole or use my uber professional, super-secret pseudo name "NL" :lol2:

My husband and I live in Colorado and have two children ("the boy" is 9 and "the girl" is 7).

I was born and raised in rural Michigan where I worked on a Christmas tree farm for my spending money through high school. Bit of a weird nerd/jerk mix back then. I know my inner nerd was there but I suppressed it since it wasn't "cool." (Boy how wrong was I?!? 8-) ) For the sake of connecting I'll shamefully admit that I was a competitive cheerleader but also ran track in the off-season (off-season...for cheerleading...gag). I played trombone in the band, debated on the debate team, student-council'd my hiney off, and eventually got the uber-nerd award for being valedictorian.

I accepted my full-ride, uber-nerd scholarship to Louisiana State University and partied the heck out of my four years there. SEC football + proximity to New Orleans + sorority + any type of education= not likely :lol2: Shoutout to any of my Zeta Tau Alpha sisters though! You understand! I majored in "International Studies" and spent some time abroud studying at Universite Aix Marseille in the south of France.

Met my husband while there, he's from Louisiana (lord help me) and the rest is history! We've been together 13 years, married for 11 and after some severe complications with our first child, I haven't worked since. I do a lot of volunteering, both at the hospital and at my children's' school. (I swear I'm not that old.)

We love to travel and we've enjoyed visiting Turkey, Thailand, Egypt, UAE, most of western Europe, much of the Caribean, and many others!

I spent some time as a freelance book editor a couple of years ago and realized I'd much rather just read than read each word aloud one-by-one. :snooty:

I am a HUGE fantasy fan and will admit that I steer more towards fantasy specific novels than sci-fi novels. I went through a period of historical fiction about ten years ago and also attempted to read all of the books on "the lists" some time back. Really any fiction excites me.

I have always HATED the idea of an e-reader but after starting with OnlineBookClub a couple of months ago, I invested in a Kindle Oasis and I gotta say, I don't hate it.

If you ever want to know more about me just ask! We currently live at about 9000 ft and love hiking, backcountry camping, and summiting fourteeners!

Thank you, thank you for allowing me into your club! :D
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A great introduction! Have fun here!

I love Fantasy as well! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Muhammad Sarfraz
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Muhammad Sarfraz »

Nice thoughts and beautifully introduced yourself.
nduch junior
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nduch junior »

hi am new member
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Thanks for saying hi guys! Image
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Introductions”