Greetings From a New Participant From South Carolina

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
TallDee
Bookshelf Size: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Greetings From a New Participant From South Carolina

Post by TallDee » 28 Oct 2017, 13:59

Hi, my user name is "TallDee." I live in York County, South Carolina. My daughter in Tennessee introduced me to the onlinebookclub. Many years ago (1999) I met a successful writer of movie scripts and he used a program called, "Dramatica." I bought it, but of course, like most folks I never used it. I did install the program today (finally). I am a long-time wannabe writer. My reading interests are: science, biography, futurism and "hard" science fiction, perhaps a better name is "speculative" fiction. My wife is an avid reader of mysteries. I also listen to audio books and, in fact, audio is my preferred format. I look forward to participating in forums, especially those dealing with writing. I am long retired from a career in Aerospace engineering.

KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Goal Completion: 26

Post by KlareAllison » 28 Oct 2017, 14:21

Welcome, TallDee. Wishing you a fun and rewarding time here!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran

TallDee
Bookshelf Size: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by TallDee » 28 Oct 2017, 15:32

Hello Klare,
Thanks for your response. Your goal is a book a week. Commendable. It's not difficult. I currently read (mostly listen to) a book a week. Right now I'm reading (not listening) "Overcomplicated:Technology at the Limits of Comprehension" by Samuel Arbesman (Penguin Books 2016). I've been retired for many years, so I no doubt have a lot more time than you do to read. I've been attempting to read a book a week for over 50 years. I'm not always successful. Life gets in the way. When I was a youngster I worked as a car product planner at Ford Motor Company where I learned about complexity. Later in the aerospace business I put to good use complexity theory. I don't know what your interests are; however, you might try the above book. The current world is VERY complicated, but not all of it is complex! I look forward to your responses at your discretion.

KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Goal Completion: 26

Post by KlareAllison » 28 Oct 2017, 15:46

Hi, TallDee! My reading goal is far from realisation. Reading is quite slow right now and I feel a little overwhelmed by the length of my to-do list.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran

gali
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Sea of Rust
Bookshelf Size: 1697
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2017 Reading Goal: 100
Goal Completion: 111
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 29 Oct 2017, 01:40

:text-welcomeconfetti:
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

klbradley
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: The Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: "Sally Gets a Curly Horse" by Ron Gale
Reading Device: 1400697484
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Goal Completion: 100

Post by klbradley » 01 Nov 2017, 07:30

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here!