Hello from South Africa

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Hello from South Africa

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I got Solaris Seethes, no problem! Don't bother, though, it's the WORST so-called SF book I've ever had the misfortune to read. Ludicrous. No characterisation, derivative plot, sloppy writing and totally improbable scenarios. They flit from star to star in hours, they kill a bear one day and are all wearing soft warm bearskin cloaks the next morning. I wish! It goes with a series of adult colouring books. Go figure. If you can get it, I'd like to hear what you think. Maybe I'm jaded. I read a LOT of SF.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

hubble wrote:
jenjayfromSA wrote:Welcome! I'm still learning the system too. It's definitely a bit overwhelming. I've picked up some great reads, though. I wasn't sure about Raven's Peak when I checked the list - I love SF, but I'm not into horror. It looked a bit dark.
Hi, yes Raven's Peak is a bit dark but if you've ever watched the series Supernatural you should be ok. I really wanted to review 'Solaris Seethes' but it is only available for US readers...I am also a big scifi/fantasy fan although I do enjoy some crime and mystery too!

Have a nice day :D

Stupid question. I have not watch Supernatural. I know I can Google it. I am lazy. What is the show about, please?

?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
hubble
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubble.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by hubble »

Hi

Well, to give you a very compressed overview :D :
Two brothers whose mother were killed by a demon embark on a hunt for said demon. During their trials they track down their father (a demon hunter), encounter lots of monsters, other demons, make friends with other hunters, get betrayed, get 'killed', get resurrected, uncover plots between angels and demons...

I got too busy to watch it after the 6th season so I don't know if it ended, and how. It can be really gory and violent and they don't hold back with the special effects, so if demons or horror upsets you I wouldn't recommend it :shock:

Otherwise, it's a good series, there's funny moments too, not everything is doom and gloom.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Hello jenjayfromSA and other Saffas,
Also a newbie on the site and also from the Rainbow Nation.
This site has been very daunting but I think I'm finally getting into the swing of things. It's not very conducive for my life though - I just want to read EVERYTHING!
Have a super day :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha and Welcome Bianka Walter! If you have any questions, I will try my best to help.
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Know the feeling! So nice to get access to free Kindle books with our exchange rate so lousy (although it is improving, yay!) Watch your commas and spelling if you're writing reviews, though, the grammar rules are a bit different over there. I think I'm sort of sussed, so if you get lost, give me a call. Glad to have another Saffa around.

Return to “Introductions”