My Biggest Complaint: Insufficient Editing

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Re: My Biggest Complaint: Insufficient Editing

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I feel that I should have read this post before diving into this book. Normally a few errors don't bother me but this book has quite a few, as you mentioned. I have stumbled across the samples you have above and many more. It is making it very difficult for me to finish the book. I am becoming so annoyed with all the errors that I can barely focus on the story. I am not by any means perfect in my own grammar but the items that stick out to me are grammar mistakes that are ridiculous to make. In reviewing books I do take into count how many errors are present and then compare it to everything else I either like or don't like about the book. Is it possible that the author can edit the book again and have it updated? Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Madison Degraffenreid
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I noticed several errors but as mentioned in the original forum post some of this could be due to differences between American and British spellings. For example the word check was spelled cheque (p175).
The sentence copied below bothered me the most:
"The ambulance staff could hear me as I called the MedicAir flight office to inform we would arrive within short and that the aircraft should be ready to leave immediately upon our arrival. " p196 Several words are missing and it just interrupts the flow.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I agree with the above comments. I noticed several editing issues. Even though I enjoyed the book, I was distracted by the many grammatical mistakes. It's a sad situation when a book's ratings are lowered because of insufficient editing.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

I try not to let a few typos here and there affect my rating, but I will mention them in my review. I did read a book once that was so riddled with poor word usage and awkward sentence structures that I rated it very low. As far as series go, I always look to sequels with the hope that maybe they'll be better, that maybe the author had learned something in the process of publishing book one.
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

What do you think is the number one issue that allows these types of errors to be published?
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Steffania
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steffania.html

Post by Steffania »

Hi!

Very well noted, I thing is disturbing to read and suddenly to be interrupted by an editing mistake!
Violetfae
Currently Reading: The Magicians
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-violetfae.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Violetfae »

Thanks for posting this topic for discussion. I'm only new, so I have not had a chance to read this novel. Although I have not read this novel, I agree with you, it does bring up a question on the author's capability to go back and edit. It also makes me question the bigger marketed novels such as J.K Rowling and it makes me wonder whether I should be calling them up and offering myself ( or anyone else who feels this way) up as an editor. ( I noticed a few errors in her novels in my honest opinion.)

So it really comes down to your own preference I suppose. Does the lack of editing skills affect the way the story is portrayed and read? Would you, as an author, want your work to be presented this way?

Those are the questions that come to mind.

I think it does bring the quality of the novel down and the review would reflect this.

Thanks for the review and topic discussion :)
( p.s Ofcourse I got all self conscious of my own editing skills, just talking about editing errors is always bound to bring upon errors.) :S
shelleyface
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelleyface.html

Post by shelleyface »

If there are several easily noticeable errors, I find it very distracting and difficult to finish the book. I haven't read the book listed in the original post, but based on the problems listed, I would find it very difficult to enjoy.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I find this infuriating. I understand that many indie authors simply don't have the budget for a professional editor, but that isn't a good enough excuse in my book - and as people on this thread have noted, these errors crop up even in professionally published works. I have been quite shocked by some of the grammatical (and spelling!) errors that I have encountered in books that I've reviewed for this site, and while I do note such errors in my reviews it would be great to have a system in place here where we can assist indie authors in a more direct way.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
Akwescott8715
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akwescott8715.html

Post by Akwescott8715 »

Doesn't that just drive you bonkers!?
sheri_wilson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheri-wilson.html

Post by sheri_wilson »

I find errors in grammar very distracting. Often a simple error in grammar or spelling of a word can change the whole meaning of a sentence, or the sentence just doesn't make any sense at all. I've often wondered what it would take to be an editor, or even a proof reader, as I'm so quick to catch errors.
Bill
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bill.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson

Post by Bill »

I imagine editing must cost a significant amount money because I have encountered quite a few books with these same issues.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson
Holladay

Post by Holladay »

The cost of a free lance editor of some statue, say one of the top 20 in the U.S., will run from 4-8 cents per word!!

It is a killer for a small selling author. Now if you happen to snag a book deal through an agent to one of the two large publishing houses in the United States it is a different matter. The editing, publishing, distribution would all come through that deal. Kicker here is that you have to be a notorious person or a big star. Most commonly the best sellers we see are because someone or some group has purchased enough copies and stored them in a room without regards for sales this buying a best seller. There are really only about ten authors who regularly sell and their characters and plots are repeated over and over except for maybe LeCarre.

The best editors are not authors in that they do not create. They have a unique gift in that the error jumps at them from the page. Most require total quiet and isolation to produce their best work. When you are dealing with one of these, you never talk, you only engage in e-mail.

At the end of the process, you may have a clean book with nothing altered plot wise and a work that contains all that the author wished to present---or not!

Have to be blessed with grit to be a creative individual. Being learned and multi-degreed does not lead to a good editor, it is a gift.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I have noticed a lot of errors. It's not just on a grammar and punctuation level either. There are inconsistencies with POV shifts, differentiation of character dialogue, telling and not showing, and a general lack of urgency/ intensity. A content editor and copy editor would have helped this story a great deal.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I noticed several errors but as mentioned in the original forum post some of this could be due to differences between American and British spellings. For example the word check was spelled cheque (p175).
I think that can be an issue, as people don't realize that the author is English, not American, or is trying to write using the verbiage of the area. Sometimes different terminology is used as well. For example, when one says "London's ton", they are referring to the high society of London. Nothing weight related ;)
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”