Is Callaghan a sociopath

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
Nomis_Reads
Currently Reading: Snatchers: Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomis-reads.html

Re: Is Callaghan a sociopath

Post by Nomis_Reads »

If we go by the textbook definition of the word, I would have to agree with others who have said that yes, Callaghan is a sociopath. His actions certainly lend credence to that. But then again, wouldn't a lot of people be able to commit some pretty heinous deeds if driven to do so by whatever means? We read or hear about heroic stories where someone avenges wrongs done to them or to another, where the result is often just as bloody or seemingly cold-blooded. Are those avenging heroes sociopaths? Maybe, maybe not. I guess my point is that the answer is more complicated than a simple yes or no. I definitely wouldn't call Callaghan a hero, but his motivation for revenge makes me more likely to lean towards him not being a typical sociopath, at very least, as I've always viewed sociopaths as more likely to do horrible things just for the heck of it as opposed to being deeply motivated for any particular reason.
elanger333
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elanger333.html
Latest Review: "Roadblocks, the warning signs" by KENNETH H B ADDERLEY

Post by elanger333 »

I don't know. Sometimes when something terrible happens, like it did to Callaghan, a person can snap. You can only take so much. Could Callaghan be compared to Dantes in the Count of Monte Cristo? Would he be considered a sociopath, or just a man who suddenly couldn't take the abuse anymore? I'm not saying that Callaghan wasn't a sociopath, but what would separate him from Dantes' character?
Latest Review: "Roadblocks, the warning signs" by KENNETH H B ADDERLEY
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

weeh84 wrote:Definitely. I had a deep sympathy for him in the beginning. His character was hard to connect with as the story unfolded. However, his life would never again be what it was. His heart became cold, and he had an insatiable lust for revenge.
A perfect explanation!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I think, in my opinion, he really was sort of a sociopath. Almost everyone in the world will feel like they need to get revenge for something at one point in their life; this is normal. The thing is though that he seemed to take everything way too far without even really caring about what he was doing.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I don't know if he's a sociopath or if he just snapped. I think most of the revenge was well-deserved aside from his wife and father. There aren't that many "good" people in the book. It would be nice to see how he is around other people before the mutilation. Also, sometimes people don't regret or have remorse for things right away, especially if he's in a "revenge high". He may actually feel these things later on.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Scott wrote:This is a discussion topic for the the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

A main theme--or maybe the main theme--in the books is: what constitutes justice and what are humans capable of under certain circumstances?

What are the readers reactions to Callaghan’s behavior and revenge actions after he has been mutilated and lost his previous life? Is he sociopath, or is his course of action understandable considering his fate? Are there any real-life comparisons to be made?

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon | View The Lost Identity Casualties Bookshelves
I think that Callaghan's actions were justifiable under the circumstances but then again this is a work of fiction. Do people carry out this same type of payback in the real world? To think not would be naive. There are people in this world who will stop at nothing to pay back a perceived or real slight. Will they go to the same lengths that are portrayed in the story? Perhaps. To call Callaghan a sociopath would be unfair since before the attack and mutilation, he was a fairly normal man who was a successful business man who was capable of having relationships with friends and family. Sociopaths are typically not able to fit within these social norms and function. I believe one's sanity would be stretched a bit under these extreme circumstances. Did Callaghan crack? No. Instead he developed a strategy of revenge that enabled him to cope with his new reality and to rise above the storm into which he had been thrown. I can not think of any real-life situations. The only things that comes to mind are situations that I have seen involving the mafia.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Callaghan's behaviour is pathological. It does not come across as normal at all.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

When put into his shoes, I would definitely crave for revenge but I wouldn't have gone to the extremes that he went. He too was involved in the illegal activities along with his friend. So it was unfair of him to just have his friend accused for the crime. It was again unfair of him to punish his wife. I was shocked by his actions and definitely think he is a sociopath
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

It's difficult to judge him because the situation he's in is so unusual. I don't know how I would behave in the same circumstances. :?
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

If you show no empathy for those in pain regardless of who they are to you then you deserve the title of a sociopath. There is revenge and then there is pure and unfiltered evil. I found it hard to differentiate the two in this case.

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”