Detailed descriptions of secondary characters...

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Detailed descriptions of secondary characters...

Post by Scott »

This is a discussion topic for the the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

In The Callaghan Tetralogy, the author has added the background stories of some minor characters in an attempt to make them more interesting and the text a little more varied.

In one review of the book, a critic wrote: "However, some amount of detail could have been culled. The backstories of some secondary characters are presented as extended chunks of text, up to several pages long."

In general, do the readers think that secondary characters should only be explained briefly, or do they merit a more detailed description?

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon | View The Lost Identity Casualties Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I sometimes found the descriptions and stories of the secondary characters to be overwhelming. There was such a large number of background characters, each with their own part in the story, that I sometimes had to turn to the beginning page to verify the relationships between the characters.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree and feel the same. I thought that the backstory of the secondary characters was too detailed and could be tighten up. It wasn't really necessary for the advancement of the plot.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

I love character development and understanding why characters do what they do, so I didn't mind the backstories for the other characters. I just thought the way they were presented wasn't necessarily the best, particularly his wife's mental "explanation" of her backstory - that was an odd choice and felt forced.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

braver wrote:I love character development and understanding why characters do what they do, so I didn't mind the backstories for the other characters. I just thought the way they were presented wasn't necessarily the best, particularly his wife's mental "explanation" of her backstory - that was an odd choice and felt forced.
I felt that the her backstory was inserted just to explain her distaste to him after the surgery, and it did feel force.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

gali wrote:I agree and feel the same. I thought that the backstory of the secondary characters was too detailed and could be tighten up. It wasn't really necessary for the advancement of the plot.

I agree.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I also thought the background and detailed backstories of the secondary characters was way too long. They didn't enhance the plot in any way for me and I honestly found it tedious to read. I wanted to just keep going forward with the story.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I feel the same way about the secondary characters' back stories being too detailed. However, aside from spending too much time reading all about them, it didn't hurt me much, so, in the end I think it's just fine by me.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

With secondary characters, I think letting them show their characterization through their interactions with others is a better way of communicating with the reader about them. I have no objection to backstories for one or two characters, but they should be main characters. A plethora of backstories gets overwhelming and distracting very easily.
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

I agree. While character development is key to making the reader feel a part of the narrative, it could have been done a bit more elegantly. As L_Therese stated, getting to know someone through their actions is typically a more effective use of text.
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I actually find that if the secondary character is going to have an important role in the MC's life, then I want a lot of detail about them. In several books, I find myself liking the entire book or series more because of the great secondary characters. If the character is only going to be a minor side role with few references to plot development, then I do not think a lot of information is given because it distracts from the story line.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think the more details about characters the better, but the descriptions have to be written in just the right way and not too long so that you end up forgetting the plot of the story you're reading. In this case, I enjoyed the descriptions of each and every character, minor or major, I felt like it made it easier to really get into the story.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

lmoses wrote:I actually find that if the secondary character is going to have an important role in the MC's life, then I want a lot of detail about them. In several books, I find myself liking the entire book or series more because of the great secondary characters. If the character is only going to be a minor side role with few references to plot development, then I do not think a lot of information is given because it distracts from the story line.
I agree with you, and for this reason, felt like we were not told enough about the butler, Andrew. I'd really have liked to have known more about him and what he was thinking as different events took place.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I don't feel you have to have pages of background info for secondary characters. However like said above it is dinferential when a secondary character plays an important role in the main characters lives or opinions.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

It depends on what the focus of the book is on. One of the books I'm listening to right now has tons of information on the previously killed secondary characters because of how they tie-in with each other and the main characters (2 of them). I really enjoy this format. Now, if they only make an appearance every 100 pages, I probably don't need to know much more than their relationship with the main character and if they did anything important to influence the story.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”