Detailed descriptions of secondary characters...

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Detailed descriptions of secondary characters...

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Prisaneify wrote:It depends on what the focus of the book is on. One of the books I'm listening to right now has tons of information on the previously killed secondary characters because of how they tie-in with each other and the main characters (2 of them). I really enjoy this format. Now, if they only make an appearance every 100 pages, I probably don't need to know much more than their relationship with the main character and if they did anything important to influence the story.
I concur, the relationship with the main character is key in to what I want to know about secondary characters.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

gali wrote:
braver wrote:I love character development and understanding why characters do what they do, so I didn't mind the backstories for the other characters. I just thought the way they were presented wasn't necessarily the best, particularly his wife's mental "explanation" of her backstory - that was an odd choice and felt forced.
I felt that the her backstory was inserted just to explain her distaste to him after the surgery, and it did feel force.
I have to disagree. Julia's story added to the horror of the face transplant and gave a much needed heightened boost. I do agree that the secondary stories were too long. It made it hard to feel connected to Matthias, even with his narration being in first person.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bluemel4 wrote:
gali wrote:
braver wrote:I love character development and understanding why characters do what they do, so I didn't mind the backstories for the other characters. I just thought the way they were presented wasn't necessarily the best, particularly his wife's mental "explanation" of her backstory - that was an odd choice and felt forced.
I felt that the her backstory was inserted just to explain her distaste to him after the surgery, and it did feel force.
I have to disagree. Julia's story added to the horror of the face transplant and gave a much needed heightened boost. I do agree that the secondary stories were too long. It made it hard to feel connected to Matthias, even with his narration being in first person.

It must have been rather shocking for her to see her slave holder's face on her husband!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

@CatInTheHat It was a cruel twist of fate and a good twist! Poor Julia and her carefully reconstructed life. How she kept silent once those bandages came off is beyond comprehension. I would have been screaming my head off and probably had my own breakdown if I were her.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

While I did love reading about the secondary character's backstories, I felt like they could have been executed in a different fashion. I agree with the review in that I often get lost in long chunks of text, and I think better integration would have given us the same story in a much more fluent manner.
Yelitzag08
Currently Reading: DIABLO NIGHTS
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yelitzag08.html
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary

Post by Yelitzag08 »

I think in general it depends on the importance of the secondary characters to the overall story. I don't mind reading information about the background characters if it relates to the plot of the story or to the main characters.
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Well the long backgrounds of secondary characters definitely lowers the reader's intrigue and attention. If I'm reading a story, I would like the plot to move forward with every chapter. By describing secondary characters so much, the main plot comes to a standstill and I wouldn't like that.

-- 05 Sep 2016, 17:24 --
Yelitzag08 wrote:I think in general it depends on the importance of the secondary characters to the overall story. I don't mind reading information about the background characters if it relates to the plot of the story or to the main characters.
True. In most books I've read, the background tells us the motive behind some actions, and that changes our entire perspective. I wouldn't mind that! :)
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I found the backstories to be interesting, but aside from MC's wife's and Michail's, I don't think they were really needed. Also, it felt like they were put into the book oddly. I think it would have been better if they were integrated more naturally.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
bookerang
Currently Reading: Roma, Underground
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by bookerang »

I found the background stories of the supporting actors both interesting and necessary because they fleshed out their characters. When I read the first book in this series, I didn’t find that this obstructed the flow in any way at all, quite the contrary.
I became intrigued when I read the comments in this forum, so I went through the book to see how many background stories there actually are. I found seven: Matthias Callaghan’s father, his wife Julie, his ex-business partner Allan, the gangster boss Flint, the mob’s lawyer Rathbone, the butler Andrew and the mafioso Berlosky. All of them prominent in the novel and necessary to move the action forward! No minor actor have been given any lengthy description, so I’m at loss here what the fuss is about.
I just started reading the sequel, so I don’t know yet, but since all but one of the aforementioned characters are still alive, I’m guessing they’ll continue to play important roles.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

In my opinion, secondary characters should only be described in great detail if it impacts the story. Characters that only appear two or three times shouldn't be described as if they were the protagonist. It takes up too much space and is just plain boring. Plus it confuses the reader. Now we have to memorize who is who and who does this and who has that.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Secondary characters with a strong presence in a novel can and probably should be given a background. However, there doesn't need to be lengthy explanations if they aren't even that instrumental to the plot.
red weiwei
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by red weiwei »

QUESTION??
I DONT QUITE UNDERSTAND WHERE SHOULD I READ
I CAN'T FIND IT
NEED HELP PLEASE
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I can't say I've found any books with secondary characters with a strong presence in a novel, but I would really love to read one.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I did feel that secondary characters were presented with too many details.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

There were certainly a lot of characters that their background story didn’t really add to the context of the story. But it didn’t hurt to see what they were about and know something about them. I constantly tried to find their connection to the story and main character so I would say it helped with the suspense of the story.

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”